Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:48 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system

It looks like Ford uses a direct system, where the transmitter is on a band strapped to the inside of the wheel. Has anyone had any problems swapping the tpms on to another wheel? Has anyone seen one and what do they look like? How do they attach? I've called Ford and Discount Tire and both didn't seem very informed about the system. Ford told me they probably use batteries. My 07 has it and I assume the 06's also have tpms. Any and all info on tpms would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system

07 is the first year for them. I remember reading on here someone said they had their dealer order them a new one for the larger rims they bought.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:12 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blaven

07 is the first year for them. I remember reading on here someone said they had their dealer order them a new one for the larger rims they bought.
I've always wondered?
How do they work?

IOW how do you measure pressure inside something rotating?

Where is the sensor?

TIA
Old 09-24-2006, 11:41 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Good question lol
Old 09-25-2006, 12:26 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

it's a small pressure sensor inside the wheel, and the signal is fed to the car by low power RF signal.

A lot of 'vette guys and caddy guys have had problems with tire shops breaking the sensors when they change tires, and screwing up the recalibration when the tires are rotated.

My 2004 caddy has them and frankly they are just a gadget, except for the fact that you need a sensor when you ride runflats. My 2006 GT doesn't have them (TPMS, that is), and I am quite happy about that.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

I had purchased my wheels from Dicount Tire here in Denver,Co and my sales rep found a replacment band that uses the exsisting sensor.The sensor mounts on a similar bracket which attaches to he new band which is reusable.The stock band has a one time snap clip which is useless when removed from the stock wheel.I did have a stock band come loose and made the wheel go way the heck out of balance.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:14 AM
erniep

Hi all,
I'm a part time car freak but a full time electronics geek designing TPMS systems. The Ford corporate standard TPMS system for 2007 is a sensor module banded to your wheel. The little sensor module that's snapped to the band measures presure, temperature, and if the sensor is rolling. It has a battery to power the electronics and does send the pressure information via an RF signal ... a lot like the RKE signal. There's an RF receiver built into the body electronics module in the car which receives the RF message from the sensor and calculates whether to tell your a tire's low or not. The system is very accurate and if the TPMS light comes on ... check your tires.

The sensor and system are quite complex and do deserve your attention when you have your tires worked on. Be sure your tire shop tests the sensors to be sure they work before you leave (there are special tools to do this). Custom wheels are a problem, because you'll need a custom band if you go to bigger wheels (the metal band wraps completely around the wheel, inside the tire).

If you have any specific questions, I'll probably be able to answer them
Thanx, Ernie

2005 Roush Stage 1 .... waiting for reliable S/C
Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
gt7er
1st Gear Member

Ernie, I have a question. The custom shop where I got my 20 inch rims are having a hard time putting the sensors on...I heard a lot of clanking, and they looked at it and didnt find anything wrong. Then it went away for a while....I think they put the sensors on using tape since they dont have 20 inch bands. Do you know where I could get 20 inch bands, or what I could do to make sure the sensors are in place? I got a atire pressure sensor fault the other day on the freeway, i think the sensors came off.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:11 AM
erniep

Hi,
I haven't heard good things about the tape and the TPMS fault and clanking and not good signs. I'll look into where to get 20 inch bands today a work and get back to ya.
Thanx, Ernie
Old 09-25-2006, 10:15 AM
07stangGrl
2nd Gear Member

[sm=americanasmiley.gif] I had that problem when I changed out my wheels and Tires.. The Dealership didnt even know about the TPMS and when I got home the sensor kept showing up everytime I turned the car on.. Took it back and they got some new bands for it.. Took them awhile, But now works Great not a problem.. 18x9 on front and 18x10 on back

Quick Reply: TPMS, tire pressure monitoring system