Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Old 12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

I'm a little late in reading up on this thread, but from what I've read, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
As far as I know, I haven't noticed any leaks and there's no musty smell which may indicate so.
Actually, its still has the new car smell.
Who knows, it may just suddenly happen on a rainy day.
Well see.
I'm knocking on wood that it doesn't.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:50 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

ok ive noticed the mildew smell and the water also enters the car from the slot between window sill and the body of the car, because when i open the door, it usually gushes out....from the door sill.......

but since i park on a hill upright, i was wondering if the mildew water would be in the same place or further down by the seats because i just wanted to see if i can find it today, after it stops raining
Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Most of what I've been reading is that those of you with the water issue are waiting for rainy days, doesn't this happen when you wash it? Let's say just by pouring water into the cowl area and then checking?

Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

For me, I have only seen the water after the car was exposed to rain for a length of time (at least certainly longer than the typical car wash duration). Washing my car has never produced visible water in my floorboard, but I will admit that I never checked just under the plastic area for moisture, I always noticed my water visually protruding beyond the plastic kickplating into the carpet.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: praztek

Most of what I've been reading is that those of you with the water issue are waiting for rainy days, doesn't this happen when you wash it? Let's say just by pouring water into the cowl area and then checking?

I can reproduce the problem by washing it. There's not enough water to bleed through the carpet, but the under-matting is definitely wet afterwards.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:54 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I don't know which of these threads is most followed.. LOL. The other is linked from the S197 INFO section above. But, here is my latest INFO that I posted to the other thread:

Here are the results from my 2nd visit to the same dealership for the leak issue that did not get fixed with the 1st visit (noted a few posts above):

A QCP C/S WATER LEAKING FROM RIGHT FRONT UNDER DASH
CAUSE: 14498 77 WATER TEST VEHICLE NECESSARY TO REPLACE PASS FRT DOOR OPENING WEATHERSTRIP (20708) FOR COLLAP SED SEAL AT MIRROR MOUNTING MOUNTING LOCATION

20708A WEATHERSTRIP - FRONT DOOR OPENING - REPLACE
69000A DOOR AND WINDOW - WIND NOISE/WATER LEAKS - DIAGNOSIS
1 4R3Z*6320708*AA WEATHERSTRIP ASY - DOOR OPENIN

14498 77 WATER TEST VEHICLE NECESSARY TO REPLACE PASS FRT DOOR OPENING WEATHERSTRIP (20708) FOR COLLAP SED SEAL AT MIRROR MOUNTING LOCATION R AND RT FRT DOOR TRIM PANEL TO ACCESS ADJUST DOOR GLASS UP FOR MISALLIGNMENT DRY CARPETING AND RETEST NO FURTHER LEAKS FOUND AT PASS KICKPANEL AREA AT THIS TIME

I drove the car home from the dealership in a relatively strong rain, but for only about 20 minutes. I also hit every puddle I could find. There only the tiniest bit of dampness if I stuck my finger just under the where the carpet meets the kickpanel. I think that that moisture may have just been left over from when they dried out my carpet after testing, etc. I need to have the car in the rain for a couple of hours or so .... and a couple of times or so to truly conclude that this particular service visit actually fixed the leak. I'll post back here when that happens.

So far, so good.... but inconclusive until further reality testing provided by mother nature.

As a consolation, Ford did pay for my rental car this time.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 AM
TerryH

Replacing the door weatherstrip is simply not going to fix it either, unfortunately.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:22 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Hi guys! I've been following this thread with interest since my 2003 vert had a leak problem during heavy rain and I've discovered some things that may apply, in general anyway even though my car is different. In my case water was accumulating in the floor pan behind the passenger seat and mostly in the middle and near the transmission hump. Only in heavy rain.
Nothing else was wet, which was weird because it appeared that someone had poured a large glass of water right in the middle of the carpet. IOW there was no path of wet carpet leading to the puddle. Strange.
The vert top was not leaking BTW but that was wjere I looked first, of course [8D]

After a little trouble shooting I found the problem. The water was actually coming in at the cowl/passenger side where the door meets the windshield. This is normal. The water is supposed to run THROUGH the rocker panels, or the frame of the car and then exit out the back through drip holes. By pulling up the trim covers over the rocker panels I could look through the holes and see the water running along in there kind of like a little river!

However, the water never made it to the drip hole because of a crack in the sealant that is smeared over the welds where the floor pans are welded onto the frame. The water would run right out of the seam and into the rear floor pan.

I smeared silicon rubber all over the seams and it has been fine ever since.

I don't know if Ford has changed the type of sealant that they used on my car to a different type but I can say that the problem is, the sealant, which looks like peanut butter, is rock hard not flexible and will crack.

They also seem stingy on it's use and I could see gaps where they missed spots so I smeared them with silicon as well.

Two things come to mind:

1. The source of the leak may be nowhere near where it puddles.
2. Check every weld and make certain if there is supposed to be sealant on top of it, their is enough of it and it has not cracked.

Just some advice from an 03 owner that feels your pain.
Leaks suck and are as difficult to fix as intermittants.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:21 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Ok.

I've had my car for about 6 months now and hadn't had any problems until now.
I was feeling the carpet, still dry.
I pull the right kick panel, stick my finger between the carpet and floor it feels moist.
I rip the carpet back from underneath the glove box and the foam layer under the carpet is just soaked.

Im rooting around under the hood, and looking at the firewall dead on, to the right of the battery underneath the cowl is a sort of ledge, and there is a rubber gasket underneath. Quite big, maybe 1/2" by 3 ". Its wet. VERY wet.
I pull it out and next thing you know, i have about a cup full of water comming out ! Enough to drop all over the cat, then pool on the garage floor.
Its like all the water comes in from the wiper area and just pools there.

I dont have my camera handy so i can't take any pictures, but does anyone have the same thing?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:01 PM
TinPony
3rd Gear Member

Just found this on another forum::
Topic: Interior water leak (ksmach1 -- 20th December 2006 - 06:26 PM) ............................................
I'm not sure were to post this so I'll start here. I own a 2007 GT500 and only had it for three weeks now. Just this past Sunday, I was washing the car and found water on the passenger side floor. Further investigation, I found that behind the kick panel was also wet. Beware that their is some kind of electrical module that is located behind the kick panel. I took the car back to the dealer and at first they could not duplicate the leak. During a few hours of testing, they moved the car to were the car was sitting at a different angle and than the water began run onto both passenger and driver side floors. Here is my take, the plastic panel that sits over the firewall that covers the windshield wiper linkage is the problem. This panel is attached to the firewall by pins that slide into insert cups installed in the fire wall. The insert cups have some sort of seal but I'm thinking that the seal is not able to hold up to any kind of water build up. Also, it just so happens that one of these inserts is located above the passenger and drivers side kick panels. <_< So what is the dealer doing, so far they reported their findings to Ford tech support and while their waiting on a response, they pulled my carpets up to dry everything out. If I am right about these insert seals not doing the job, this problem may not just be a GT500 thing. At this point I welcome any insight, suggestions, or if you had this same problem with your 05 to 07 mustang. As I get more info from the dealer, I'll post their findings and Fords master plan to make this right. Outside of this problem, the GT500 is an AWESOME PONY!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS