Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 04:40 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Here is a list of the people that said they had water in the passenger footwell from all 4 posts in mustangforums.com.

1. afterburner
2. ilduce321
3. mdnytRider
4. claytondoucette
5. celenztah
6. jkstang
7. chidrock
8. redfirelemon
9. rasquedo
10. stratjakt
11. brownblackstang
12. hypromanGT
13. st1314159
14. augustGT
15. camscope
16. FST05
17. bajalady
18. romanpacific
19. Rob R
20. feejay
21. edgespeeder06
22. doode

Please send me your VIN's so that I can start logging info about your cars.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:51 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

Nope baschoyour not making sense. If, for example the leaking issue, there are numerous folks with a leak in the same place, it is most likely not going to be from more than one place. Logic says it will be from one place that was not engineered properly.
You may be correct.....howeverfour possible water entry points were given in all the posts.

1. a wire grommet in the firewall.
2. a sealalong the cowl.
3. a opening in the A-pillar behind the SJB.
4. a floorboard seam.

Only a few have taken their car to the dealer. One has had a very bad experience with what sounds like an incompetent dealer. Others have had the issue fixed without reoccurance.

I don't doubt that something is not installed properly on those vehicles affected. But Ford testing vehicles that are not affected is not going to yield a solution. That is why it is imparative that everyone with this leak get their car into a dealer. I also urge everyone to inspect their vehicles for this leak on a regular basis (as I'm sure most of us already are).

With under 2 dozen reported leaks and nearly 6000 hits on this thread.......obviously a majority are not having any leak issue. To me that says this is less of a design issue and more of human issue with the install of a component.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

So what you're saying, Bascho, is very few people with leaking problems take thier cars back to the dealership?

Out of curiosity, how many Stangs would it take to make Ford issue the TSB?
Old 12-27-2006, 11:24 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juntech

So what you're saying, Bascho, is very few people with leaking problems take thier cars back to the dealership?

Out of curiosity, how many Stangs would it take to make Ford issue the TSB?
That's what it sounds like from the 4 threads in this forum.

Honestly it depends on the severity of the issue. If it was a safety concern it would take far fewer instances than non safety related issues. There are only so many Service Engineers in the company that can look into this issues......so they have to prioritize. I'm sure you guys can understand that right?

The real issue with this leak problem is that it doesn't appear to be getting proper documentation at the dealer level. This means one of two things; 1. the dealers are fixing the issue and using a strange labor code which isn't being tracked.....or 2. very few people have brought there car into the dealer for a leak issue.

Next week everyone will be back in the office after the holiday and I will inquire with a Service Engineer that I am close with about whether or not his issue has hit their radar. I'll let everyone know what he says.

Please, get your car into the dealer if you have a leak.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

bascho - do you have any input on the hood shake problem - this does seem like a safety issue. Thanks for all your help with this.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:26 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

bascho - do you have any input on the hood shake problem - this does seem like a safety issue. Thanks for all your help with this.
I haven't heard of a single instance where someone's hood latch failed because of the hood shake and caused the hood to pop open. Most cars with aluminum hoods will have some hood shake as the hood isextremely light. MyRX8 and Lincoln LS both had aluminum hoods also andboth had hood shake. You can adjust the hood stopsif the hood shake is really bothering you........but hood pins arenot needed for safety.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:37 PM
06 gt
1st Gear Member

I have an 06 mustang gt. I have just recently discovered to my dissappointment that I have "the leak". Mine is bad. The passenger foot well is very wet, and the water is soaking through so bad as to have standing water. Even the passenger rear is wet. I plan on taking the car in to a dealer after the new year. I have no personal experience with Ford dealer service departments. Can anyone in my area recomend a dealer with a good service department reputation? I live in "downriver" Detroit, Southgate to be exact. Local dealers are Southgate Ford, Gorno Ford, Taylor Ford, and Superior Ford. Thanks to everyone for your help.

P.S., except for the leak, I LOVE this car!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:56 PM
RomanPacific
1st Gear Member

Well I think I fixed my leak. The water was coming in from the grommet in the firewall above the kickout panel. It wasn't seated properly around the opening. After a few minutes of pushing it finally popped in and seemed to make a good seal. We had some rain on Christmas day so I checked this morning and thankfully found no water. It didn't rain real hard, but it was a steady rain all day. I would suggest that everyone check to see if this would fix yours.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RomanPacific

Well I think I fixed my leak. The water was coming in from the grommet in the firewall above the kickout panel. It wasn't seated properly around the opening. After a few minutes of pushing it finally popped in and seemed to make a good seal. We had some rain on Christmas day so I checked this morning and thankfully found no water. It didn't rain real hard, but it was a steady rain all day. I would suggest that everyone check to see if this would fix yours.
Is this the one you have to take the inner fender liner out to reach it?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I'm not going to quote my above posts. I've been to the dealership twice now for a leak fix. The first time they adjusted a "misalligned" grommet and it did NOT fix the leak. The second time (I had to ASK them to pay for the rental car) they replace weatherstripping related to a collapsed SED seal at the passenger door mirror (not sure what a SED seal is anyway). I know it has been a while since I have posted on this, but I have had only one "test" since. I will say that the car sat in the driveway (I moved it out from the garage on purpose) in steady, but light rain for about two hours .... and remained perfectly dry on the passenger side and even under the kickplate area. While I know that similar circumstances caused water to show on the carpet before, I can only say that I am pleased so far.... BUT.... I need at least two more seriously good heavy-rainy/puddly tests to convince me.

Sorry I am relying only on real world testing here, but I do not know how to reproduce it with a water hose. I just know what weather/driving circumstances do produce the leak. I will report in when I get my next real world test. Again, while pleased with the first "test", I won't be convince until two more serious exposures result in pure dryness.

I wasn't going to be a guinea pig, but I am NOT going to own this car if the leak cannot be stopped. A 3rd visit to the dealership for the same issue that results in ... no results... equals lemon law.

I love this car and truly hope my leak is fixed. I want to drive it until the next re-modeling of Mustang at least. But because of this and the fuel pump air bubbles hesitation issue I've dealt with.... I will keep an open mind to upcoming re-worked versions of Chargers, Challengers and Camaros. When I first bought my Mustang, you would never hear me talk like that.

C'mon Ford....... RE-INSTATE OUR FAITH.

(bascho - I've PM'd you my VIN. But I'm getting tired of any BS associated with the s197, so just do what you think will genuinely help with that VIN).

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS