Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:26 AM   #31
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Very interested in keeping up with this issue as well. Rainy season is soon approaching, so I'll check as well.

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
praztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #32
mail906
2nd Gear Member

[BUMP]

Has anyone yet to identify a discernable reason why water accumulates below the carpet pad ???

Please do if you know / or have found out. I am probably like many others who would like to know what needs to be done if anything.
mail906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #33
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I have an '06 V6 Coupe and have noticed water in the carpet below that little panel near the passenger side floorboard on two occassions.

The first time was some months ago during an exceptionally heavy rain; someone drove along side me in slightly deep water and completely drenched my car with their splashing for about 20 feet of driving or so (they were total idiots - I couldn't even see)). After that, I noticed the dark, wetness in the carpet directly below the panel and a little had run towards the passenger seat along where the carpet almost meets the door, etc. I thought this was a fluke though since the amount of splashing I received was truly extraordinary. I never gave it another thought until....

The only other time was actually just a couple of days ago after driving through some puddles after a heavy rain. The two instances tend to make me think that the water is getting in from either the side or from below???

I have driven through plenty of rain, washed my car numerous times with pressure wands and even driven through touch-free car washes all with no "noticeable" leaks. I never have checked inside/behind the panel though. I've just checked for obvious, dark wet spots just below the panel on the outside.

I'd really like to see a TSB come out for this rather than to start taking the car in for "experimentation" and hit or miss repeat visits. It would seem there is a common design flaw that once identified would lead to an easier fix for everyone?

I have not had any elecrical problems and I leave my windows open and park in a garage every night so maybe it dries out readily and that is why I haven't noticed musty smells yet either. But..... this will eventually lead to some problem or another.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #34
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Juntech Send a message via Yahoo to Juntech

Can someone post a pic? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #35
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Had a little spare time [8D]

The panel is obvious and the area I circled is approximately where I visibly saw and felt soaked carpeting on the two occassions I posted about a couple of posts above.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #36
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Juntech Send a message via Yahoo to Juntech

Yikes.[:-]
Old 10-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #37
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mach 1

Check out this link. Someone is complaining about the exact same issue. Seems like at Ford these days, quality is not job 1! Damn body frame to cowl assembly issues...

MSN Leaky 'Stang

28 Thousand dollar petri dish .... grows mold GREAT"

2005 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Convertible
09/12/2006
By: An MSN Autos Consumer
Owned: Less than 1 year
Review ID: #498260
4.7 Overall Rating

1 Styling
8 Performance
8 Interior
1 Quality
5 Recommendation

Pros:
Styling is great. Even for a 6 this car sounds like a muscle car and accelerates like one. Extremely fun to drive. Interior is comfortable.

Cons:
It's not the car that I dislike. What I do happen to dislike however is the response that I have gotten from Ford. It obviously had the leak prior to me buying it. Guess that sales person that told me the sticker had gotten damp because the window was left open ... lied. It is now obvious to me that it was because the car was leaking from day one. IF YOU REALLY WANT ONE ... BUY ONE ... BUT DO NOT BUY A CONVERTIBLE WITHOUT GOING THOUGH THE CAR WASH MULTIPLE TIMES AND LOOKING FOR PREVIOUS WATER DAMAGE. This car holds water like a sponge.

Overall Review:
My Mustang has turned into a 28,000 dollar petri dish and is growing mold. The entire car smells of mildew and mold is growing all over the wiring harness, under the dashboard on the passenger side and behind the passenger side kick panel. There is such a bad leak coming in on the passenger side that the electrical system is failing. Radio works great in Park and Neutral, just don't put it in drive or it shuts off. The leak is not from the convertible top. It's from poor assembly of the fire wall to the A frame on the passenger side. I'm sure in a couple of years the car should be pretty well rusted from the inside out as it has already started to rust between the floor panels, passenger side A pillar and fire wall. Ford's current response .... We'll get you a new carpet, but we won't supply a new carpet pad. As for their response to the rust and bad assembly, too bad ... it's not our problem. Pretty good response for a 6 month old car.

Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #38
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Jesus christ...EVERYONE'S a FLIPPIN EXPERT!!!

If you go into the dealer and act like this guy you're bound to get NOWHERE!!

Magnuson-Moss has to do with the use of fair trade practices and aftermarket parts useage and nothing to do with the dealer taking your car apart to find a water leak. And it's just a part of the UCC and doesnt have anything to do with recovering legal expenses in a law suit as this guy states in his post....

Quote:
ORIGINAL: viza

"...are allowed to sue them for not only the repairs, but their fees as well, so it won't cost you a dime. This is provided for by the Magnuson-Moss Act and is a part of the federal consumer protection law called the "Uniform Commercial Code"
Running off to get a lawyer and yelling "lemon law, lemon law" will get you nowhere. Check the lemon laws of your state because they ALL VARY. Every day I work with attorneys and people who think attorneys will get stuff done for them. Half the attorneys out there are idiots anyway (of course there are still some good ones). And the Lemon Law is a long drawn out process...you dont simply find a water leak and yell "lemon law" and threaten a lawsuit and POOF- a new mustang appears! Think about it, some jerk comes in yelling at you at your job threatening suit and such, are you going to go out of your way to help them out? Hell no!

And like someone else posted, it sounds like a group of mostly isolated incidents. Given this thread I will check my car out more closely tonight when I go home, but I've never noticed an issue. However, people on these forums are only a small percentage of overall mustang owners and there's a lot of people here with issues meaning that within the big picture there's a boatload of people out there with these problems. What's worse, most people have no idea.

The key is for a large number of people to take their cars back to dealers and contact Ford corporate to ensure they are aware of the problem. A few dozen people calling from all parts of the country will certainly start to raise an eyebrow. Additionally, if Ford looks into it, it may be a simple fix like redoing a seal or weatherstripping. However if ford does nothing and it gets worse, a lot of people may be looking at premature rusing issues, moly pads and carpeting and seats...that is MUCH more expensive.

So before you jump to conclusions and think you're going to sue Ford and get a new Mustang, take a deep breath and take 1 step at time.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: viza

Don't do this... take it back let them screw with it and try to repair it 3x. Make _SURE_ that you get everything they do in writing. This is the most important part, the documentation. It must show:
1. What you reported as the problem.
2. What they did to try and fix it.

Make sure that the "What you reported as the problem" matches up on each one. Preferably word for word. Keep all papers they hand you. If they don't want to give you something insist on getting it written up and offer to stay there until they get it done. Legally they have to give you some paperwork.

Once they haven't fixed it, get a lemon lawyer and let him pull out the lemon law. If you try to do this yourself, they'll act all knowlegeable at the dealer and tell you "This isn't bad enough to fall under lemon laws ... yadda yadda yadda". It's all BS and none of them know what they are talking about when it comes to the law ; ) If they did, they wouldn't be working at a car dealership They'll tell you x,y,z and try to manipulate you. It's all BS; don't listen, they are trained by Ford what to say when people start talking Lemon laws. In fact, don't put yourself into the position of needing to see the song and dance at all. They count on you not knowing crap about the real law, because they know nothing about it. Luckily we have lemon lawyers for this.

The lawyer works every time.... let him do the talking. Attorneys are allowed to sue them for not only the repairs, but their fees as well, so it won't cost you a dime. This is provided for by the Magnuson-Moss Act and is a part of the federal consumer protection law called the "Uniform Commercial Code" and the UCC applies in every state. There are also some states which have laws with this provision. Ensure that your attorney will be suing Ford for his fees up front in case he's trying to pull one on you as well.

Now go to http://www.consumeraffairs.com/lemon_law/ and read the Lemon Law How-To so you know what your rights are, what you are up against, and what you need to do. It involves taking a lot of notes on every conversation you have with the dealer, and stamping them with a time and date. Dealership people are trained con artists. The best way to fight this is with knowledge.

I have some carpeting to check...

Edit: It felt a little damp. Coupled with the fact that my windows fog up slightly inside every time I get in, even though it's not cold out... I think my car has this issue.

-Viz
Pro 5.0 Shifter, FRPP Shortys, Flowmaster Axlebacks
C&L CAI, Predator and Tune, MotoBlue U/D Pul, K-member brace w/ limiters, Prothane M/Ms
4wheelkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:11 PM   #39
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2003 Mach 1

Here's another post from a guy on our own forum that has had a leak...but nobody responded in his original post. The evidence of a systemic issue keeps growing...

More Leaks...
Hicompression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #40
afterburner

I checked mine and lo and behold I too had wet padding on the right side. In the shop as I type.
afterburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:13 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 2006, 2007, battery, electrical, ford, leak, leaks, mustang, mustange, problem, problems, rain, recall, water, window