Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 AM   #61
stl314159

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Quote:
ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

I'm curious though, how many people have noticed this problem only when parking their car facing uphill. I think it would lend some credence to my theory if it didn't happen when the car was parked facing downhill, as the water would run away from the grommet on the firewall.

Also, if anyone else decides to try this method, let me know if it works for you too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48028/EE8E00213FDB48F28132280D4083FB51.jpg[/IMG]
About a month after I bought my mustang I was getting ready to leave work and I heard a gurgle from the passenger side and actually saw some water come out of the hole in that passenger side kick panel. It wasn't a lot, maybe a cup full.

Earlier this week I left my mustang out overnight (parked uphill in my driveway) and we got a pretty substantial rain storm. The next day I got in the car to go to work and I had over an inch of standing water in the passenger front and back seat the drivers side seemed unaffected. I drove it to the dealership, water sloshing around and all and the service manager didn't seemed surprised at all and scheduled an appt to have the windshield resealed. I talked to the service manager for a bit and he admitted that he has seen this issue with a lot of S197's.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
stl314159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #62
afterburner

Update: servicemanager called said my car was ready but could not duplicate leak and found no evidence of water. He replied " You get info off the net about a problem and if one person has it ,Everyone thinks they have the same problem" I replied if it wasnt for the forums I NEVER would know about it besides it was wet after the rain we had. What an ***. I'll wait till it rains then take it straight to them. to be continued..............
afterburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #63
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: afterburner

Update: servicemanager called said my car was ready but could not duplicate leak and found no evidence of water. He replied " You get info off the net about a problem and if one person has it ,Everyone thinks they have the same problem" I replied if it wasnt for the forums I NEVER would know about it besides it was wet after the rain we had. What an ***. I'll wait till it rains then take it straight to them. to be continued..............

Just an FYI.....don't ever tell any service writer that you read about a problem on a forum.....that goes for any auto companies dealer channel. They will immediately attribute your visit to 'forum frenzy' and your car will get no real attention. This is not a Ford dealer thing either.......this is an every dealer thing.

Next time just tell them the details of the issues you have first-hand experience with......"the passenger side carpet is damp....and no, I did not leave the window open."
Old 10-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #64
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bascho

Quote:
ORIGINAL: afterburner

Just an FYI.....don't ever tell any service writer that you read about a problem on a forum.....that goes for any auto companies dealer channel. They will immediately attribute your visit to 'forum frenzy' and your car will get no real attention. This is not a Ford dealer thing either.......this is an every dealer thing.

Next time just tell them the details of the issues you have first-hand experience with......"the passenger side carpet is damp....and no, I did not leave the window open."

"....can you ever really trust another human being?.....the answer Greg is no, you cannot."
Old 10-21-2006, 11:26 AM   #65
August GT

Hello everyone. I was extremely surprised at how many 05 & 06 Mustang owners have this problem. I also have this problem, which I discovered after parking my car facing uphill. I usually have it parked in the garage. Recently after a hard rain, I opened the passenger car door and discovered a serious puddle of water. I will park facing downhill like MdnytRider to test the theory. I will be taking it in to the Ford dealership this week. I called and they stated they only work on leaks on Mondays. I will let you guys know what happens. Thank you all for posting.

Quote:
ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

I'm cross posting this reply from another post because they're both the same basic subject. I tore apart the car today, and I'm hopeful I may have sealed the water leak. I removed the passenger side inner wheel well behind the tire. There is a pair of grommets there where a big wiring harness and the antenna come through the firewall (see the picture). Yesterday, I laid inside the car while the wife sprayed water on the right side of the car and it looked like water was coming in there. So today I spread clear silicone around the grommets, waited for it to cure and sprayed water on it again. So far, no water inside.

I'm curious though, how many people have noticed this problem only when parking their car facing uphill. I think it would lend some credence to my theory if it didn't happen when the car was parked facing downhill, as the water would run away from the grommet on the firewall.

Also, if anyone else decides to try this method, let me know if it works for you too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48028/EE8E00213FDB48F28132280D4083FB51.jpg[/IMG]
August GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #66
camscope

put me down as one with the leak after reading this i went out and check. and found water ( it has been raining alot here in houston) so i took in to the dealership they say they fixed it. well see

later
Jon
camscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:49 PM   #67
larslars

Hi, living in upstate NY I got very worried when I read this thread. However, after thorough examinations, I have found that I have been lucky.

My '05 pony has no water or moisture in it, after searching where you described. I did however find the hole where water can enter. I have driven the car in extreme rain, through several thunderstorms both on and off the highway. Not a good place to be in such conditions, but I remember praising myself for being inside in a dry car! Lucky thing is that I parked downhill after these events, and even though my parking space is sort of flat, the car tilts slightly forward and towards the passenger side when parked. Any water will then actually not drain into that hole. As far as I can remember I have never actually parked my car facing uphill.

The hole itself looks like something that has been prepared for a mount of something. Maybe it is meant to be used on different models, or with some extra equipment? Hard to tell why it is there, but it seems easy enough to close. Some plastic cork will probably do. I don't have any other warranty except standard factory warranty since my car was not bought from a dealership, but from a body shop.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52206/8A19B3BB9EB54607B0FE074FC9F1EC4C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-22-2006, 08:59 PM   #68
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007, Mustang GT

Quote:
ORIGINAL: hammeron

Felt around near the passenger side panel and all is dry....
-
Here is a pic of the passenger side firewall area, the black
boot is where water drains down from the windsheild wiper
hole(s) in the cowl. The hole shown in the pic is some crazy
shiz....not sure why Ford would allow water to drain into
that area of the body.....

Click the image to open in full size.
I have a 2007 Mustang GT Coupe. I took a look at my car in the area shown in your photo and the passenger compartment carpet. How did you take that photo? I could barely see that area from the topside let alone get a camera down there.

Anyway, my carpet is dry. That said, it is always garaged and it has only been in the rain a couple times and its only been washed 3 times so far. The hole in the trunk (from the other thread) was covered by the round tape-like piece.

I will be closely watching my car and this thread for further developements.

CDC Ducktail, CDC Chin Spoiler, CDC Sequentials, SHR 1/4 Window Louvers,
BMS Silver Stripes, Mini Antenna, A47 Grille & Racing Mirrors, UDPs, Boomtubes,
GMS CAI, SCT Tuner, 93 Custom Tune, 3.73 FRPP Gears, Spydershaft, Roush Springs,
Mach II shifter, Powdercoated Steeda Cam Covers, DD Blk Bullitts/Goodyear Eagle F1s

WWW.MOCSEM.COM
wingman75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 AM   #69
larslars

Quote:
ORIGINAL: wingman75
I have a 2007 Mustang GT Coupe. I took a look at my car in the area shown in your photo and the passenger compartment carpet. How did you take that photo? I could barely see that area from the topside let alone get a camera down there.
When you open your hood, follow the draining from the windshield and into the cowl. The water is transported down through the marked rubber boots in hammeron's picture. (the yellow) The same design is on both sides, so I don't really see why water would only leak into the passenger side. I took my own pictures by holding my camera phone down into and between the chassis and the engine. However, once you understand where they are, they are easily seen from head height. On my 4.0 V6, it is actually easier to see it on the drivers side. Not sure how that would be on your GT, wingman.

I went to Loew today to get some plastic screws and rubber fittings that I will try to put in there tomorrow. Will post pictures and details about how that went. If not successful, I will use some automotive screws and perhaps some silicone to glue them there. I do have a question on the heat in that area, I'm not sure on how much heat that area is exposed to. Any thoughts on that?

Are we also 100% sure that this is where the water enters? I am not sure I am willing to "tare apart" the interior to find out where that hole leads on the other side. I'd love to hear from someone that actually tried to stick a wire or something through that hole to see if it really comes into the interior/cabin(?).

Those of you who had this fixed at a dealership, did they plug those holes and/or did they do something on the inside?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:31 AM   #70
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quick update: I've been holding off on this as it's only rained once or twice, and as luck would have it, my car was in a garage the first time, but...it appears to be "fixed"....

The dealership says it was a "clogged drain"...Ugh, ok...so this means the stupid thing is going to clog up every X months, and I am going to have to deal with this over and over again?? Here's the tech notes:

"VERIFIED CONCERN FOUND PASS SIDE FRONT OF CARPET WET
REMOVED BOTH FRONT SEATS REAR SEAT REMOVED TRIM FOR ACCESS
REMOVED CONSOLE
REMOVED CARPET
WATER TEST FOUND DRAIN CLOGGED
REPAIR DRAIN HOLE TO ALLOW CONSTANT FLOW REASSEMBLE RETEST OK"

About the only thing I really haven't tried is driving in wet weather, but the car was outside one day when it downpoured for a good half hour or so, and the padding under the carpet was dry. I'm really not happy that it wasn't more like "plugged gaping hole in frame"...at least then I could believe it was a one time problem. This sounds like a crappy design with no long term solution.

One other thing. I asked the service manager (who asked the tech) if there was any preventative maintenance, etc, that I could do to avoid this problem. They both said nothing special; just make sure the space between hood and windshield is kept clean. I also asked if I could see where the rain was, and if I could possibly be able to get at it to clean it. They said no, not very easily.

I don't park under trees, and half the time (when at work), I'm parked in a garage, so...I'm not sure how much cleaner I can keep this area. [&:]. Oh well, I get to make another trip in soon, as the lever to the driver's seat recliner (the one to get in the back seats) snapped off in my hand this weekend, and there seems to be a new dash rattle now that they've monkeyed with that...much swearing ensues [:@]
-- 2008 Alloy Metallic Mustang GT Premium --
C&L Street - Bamachips TQ Tune - FRPP Stingers
Prothane Motor Mounts - MGW Shifter - Chaser Sequentials
Ford replaced: 2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Premium (Water Leak Edition)
HypromanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 01:59 PM   #71
FST 05

Hey, found this thread from another site. My car is an early 05 GT coupe. I had notice last spring a musty smell and the windows would fog a lot after a big rain, I never really looked into it until this week after a big rain. Checked the floor board and it was soaked.

One note my driveway is on a hill and I normally park it up hill (rained all thursday night) and noticed the floor being wet on the pass side friday afternoon.

I plugged the hole on the firewall that hammeron posted a pict of and will cauk around the wire gromet in the wheel well later today and see if it does it again.
FST 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #72
Grabbn 07
1st Gear Member

HEY all i have a 07 GT and live in new jersey itsmonsoon season here now, just took the car out for a spin in a big down pour with high winds then pealed back the passenger side carpet, no wetness at all, left the car out in heavy downfall, again,no issuies, if it means anything i parked the car on level grounds

2007 Mustang GT
SLP Loudmouths
WAY more to come...
Grabbn 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:43 AM   #73
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Just a FYI for some of you.. the Water Doctor... some are good and some are .. I won't even go there..

just look out.. as I have seen it too many times... (a so called water leak fix ) yeah right...!!!

R

rex7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #74
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Welper, I had another leak episode (wet carpet visible and touchable in the passenger side just below that little panel) after driving through some very heavy rain with a fair amount of splashing through semi-high water spots on the road.

As much as I appreciate the various photos and descriptions of the various possible leak spots to plug and as much as I cringe at another trip to the dealer (and have complained about doing so in this thread)..... I feel I am not skilled enough to start troubleshooting and plugging holes in those various places myself.

So.... In about a week or two, I'll take the 'stang to the dealership for a fix. I won't discuss any of this forum, but rather just the issue and let them find it.

I'll update here once I've gone through with it.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:07 PM   #75
bradzpony

I have owned my '06 GT coupe since mid-August. The build date, I believe, is March '06.
I have driven in rain on a few occasions, as recent as Friday, and have not had any wetness at all on the
passenger side floor. However, I have not taken the panel off on the passenger side and felt for any
water inside.

Brad

automatic, IUP
bradzpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 PM   #76
mcbubba

I just ran out and checked my '06 V6. We've had a couple of rainstorms since I've purchased it, and it goes through the heavy hosing of a local automated car wash every week or so. No sign of leakage on mine. Fingers are crossed, and will remain so because it's only a matter of time before the heavy No. Cal. rains start.
mcbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #77
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Be honest.. have you called yet...????

the ONLY way we are going to get this fixed is to call Ford and complain..

I called and mine doesn't leak..!!!! might be because it lives in the garage and sees little to no rain..

but if there is a problem.. and it sounds like we have one.. then I want mine fixed.. don't you..?????

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
1-800-392-3673(FORD)
TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM local time

PLEASE CALL...!!!!

thanks in advance for the couple of minutes it will take you.. all it took me..

Rex

rex7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:54 AM   #78
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Well, guess what...all that work to unclog a drain may have helped when the car isn't moving, but I took a trip this weekend in the rain, and sadly the carpet was wet after driving. On Tuesday/Wednesday it rained overnight (car in parking lot, level ground), and in the morning the carpet was wet [&:] Back to the dealership next week, and I gotta remember to call!!!![sm=bustedsign.gif]
-- 2008 Alloy Metallic Mustang GT Premium --
C&L Street - Bamachips TQ Tune - FRPP Stingers
Prothane Motor Mounts - MGW Shifter - Chaser Sequentials
Ford replaced: 2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Premium (Water Leak Edition)
HypromanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #79
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Send a message via AIM to Silencer06

Quote:
ORIGINAL: GT John

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bascho

BTW, the only issue being discussed on the tech message board regarding the S197 is the noise made at the RH front wheel when going over a small bump in the road.
I might be able to save you some time here.

I had the same issue and thought.........holy sh** what was that sound........man sounded like the right front (passenger side) wheel or shock was going to fall off anytime.

It wasnt until I took off the front sway bar that I noticed, on the drivers side, when loosening the sway bar nut on the front strut that it felt like it had been torqued, it was difficult to break loose.
But on the passenger side when I went to undo the sway bar nut from the strut it felt as though the nut had not been torqued. This nut was too easy to remove. The sway bar is just flopping around on the passenger side of the car.

Ever since I've removed the sway bar I have not heard the clunking sound. I have installed the BMR front sway delete kit and installed the dual strut tower brace bars.

Thanks for jumping in...........always good to hear from someone that works for Ford.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29830/6440D552249E421288313E1CFD84A915.jpg[/IMG]

I know this thread is primarily about leaks, but after reading this particular post in it, I have to ask....

Regarding the top quote "only issue being discussed on the tech message board regarding the S197 is the noise made at the RH front wheel "......where is that thread? Can you please post a link to it so I can see what it's all about? I hear a noise in my front wheel too, and always over small bumps, so I've wondered what it is and THIS POST is the first time I've EVER seen anything about it on this forum. WOULD LOVE TO READ MORE, so please, someone post a link to the thread. I've searched and can't find anything.

Thanks,
Nick

BLACK '06 GT Coupe Premium
ALL BLACK interior (no IUP!)
C&L CAI w/SCT/Brenspeed tune
Bassani SS axlebacks
255/45/18 BFG KDW2's on 18x9 Deep Dish Bullitts
15% tint all around
Sequential signals, 14" shorty antenna, clear corners, chrome accents, and more...
Silencer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #80
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Silencer06

I know this thread is primarily about leaks, but after reading this particular post in it, I have to ask....

Regarding the top quote "only issue being discussed on the tech message board regarding the S197 is the noise made at the RH front wheel "......where is that thread? Can you please post a link to it so I can see what it's all about? I hear a noise in my front wheel too, and always over small bumps, so I've wondered what it is and THIS POST is the first time I've EVER seen anything about it on this forum. WOULD LOVE TO READ MORE, so please, someone post a link to the thread. I've searched and can't find anything.

Thanks,
Nick

The post on the message board I was referring to is a FMCDealer.com message board. Only Ford dealership employees and FCSD employees have access. I'll check the boards again today and see what other topics have come up and if anyone's got a solution to the noise at the RH front wheel.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 2006, 2007, battery, electrical, ford, leak, leaks, mustang, mustange, problem, problems, rain, recall, water, window