Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Nitrod86GT

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24319
just a link to my thread over there about mine...definitely found mine today...ran water ALL over the car and once i got to the door weatherstrip channels I could see it coming in between two body panels and into the floor..like bnzred05 said, behind the weatherstrip retainers is a foam seal..if this seal has gone bad it will let the water run INSIDE the a-pillar and down into the passenger compartment...mine is doing it on both sides..i am going to pull the retainers tonight and re-seal them...on a lighter note, when i ran water all along the cowl and around the electrical grommets i got no water!! woohoo!! its just pouring in the a-pillars so it should be an easy fix..so in a nutshell here is what to do:

1. Pull both door weatherstrip retainers and install new foam seals made of a better quality than OEM like bnzred05 did.

2. Perform TSB and seal ALL cowl grommets, the pinch weld, and the bottom of the windshield.

3. Pull the passenger side fender well and check the plug you guys are talking about and seal it.

4. Seam seal all electrical grommets if possible. (door grommets a bitch to get to, none of mine are leaking though so I may wait on this one.

Even though mine isn't leaking on the cowl grommets and pinch weld, I am STILL going to seal them because eventually they are gonna go bad and leak. Mine is the window weatherstripping retainer seals for sure. (not the seals that touch the glass but the seal between the body and the retainer) Hope that helps guys and sorry to link to another forum. Just thought you may wanna read my exploits as well. I posted a couple of pictures of EXACTLY where my water was coming in so you guys that are having the TSB performed may wanna take a closer look at these retainer seals because they leak down RIGHT where the initial picture of this thread shows it being wet on the carpet; ie in the crease where the floor meets the side. Might not be noticeable upon inspection but mine damn sure poured water there.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM
luangtom

I found your blurbs about the leaks and decided to add my two-cents worth on this subject. I had my 2006 GT coupe in three times before they got the leak(s) repaired. They finally got an outside source that specializes in leaks to have the car for a few days and get it done. I left the car for two weeks while out of town so that they could monitor it and see if it leaked or not after the repair. It did not. It has been two-months and a bit since it was done and we certainly have had many inches of rain and no leaks. So, here's hoping it is repaired for good. The TSB's out by Ford were followed and they seem to cover all of the fixes. The first trip was when they told me it was my negligence in allowing a drain to plug. NOT. I returned it after just two days and they found no plugging in the drain and eventually went outside and got the leak-guy to work on it and finally get it done properly. I love my car, but Ford surely sucks in their avoidance of the problem.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Nitrod86GT

SOOOO I found the leak for sure. I pulled the window weatherstrip first and then took out the screws to the seal retainers and dropped the seal retainers out. (these are the black plastic strips that hold your window weather strip to the body.)..so by lookin at the pictures you guys can see that these seals are SCREWED...they are supposed to be a solid seal, all the way down the retainer against the body...if these seals are bad, water will run behind the retainer, inside the A-pillar and inside the car into the floorboard on both sides. (if both seals are bad). this is a 36K mile car that spent the first part of it's life in Florida. These retainers have never been removed so these seals must have basically baked themselves out inbetween the body and the retainer over time and no one's noticed. Hopefully this will help some of you guys that are looking for leaks. Enjoy the pics! Keep in mind, this should be one solid seal all the way down the retainer. As you can see, neither are worth a ****. Oh and none stuck to the car or anything as I pulled them off. Everything that was there is still sticking to the retainer. Way to go Ford!

Old 02-13-2010, 06:57 AM
momwithamustang

I don't know if this was mentioned in this thread. Please report the leaking and electrical issues to Mycarstats.com

It goes directly to the Department of Transportation. If they receive enough of these complaints they will force Ford to Recall these cars.

My leak came from the rubber gaskets clogging on the fire wall. The windshield wiper motor is fried, and tail lights would not work until the car dried out.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by momwithamustang
I don't know if this was mentioned in this thread. Please report the leaking and electrical issues to Mycarstats.com

It goes directly to the Department of Transportation. If they receive enough of these complaints they will force Ford to Recall these cars.

My leak came from the rubber gaskets clogging on the fire wall. The windshield wiper motor is fried, and tail lights would not work until the car dried out.
I'm going to have to do that... my car is out of warranty and I never had the problem before until about a month after it expired. I'm not having issues now, but I have in the past a couple times after heavy rains.

What I've been doing is parking at a slope either at home or at work so that the front of the car faces toward the ground. Then I put a plastic baggie on the passenger corner of the winshield inserted inside a little ways. Throughout the heavy rains we had back in January here in SoCal, I did not have any issues and I believe it was due to this strategy. That doesn't mean I want to do it for the rest of the car's life, though. But I will as long as necessary...

Edit: Wow is that site confusing... I can't figure out how to read the complaints or make a complaint.

Last edited by VictoriaRR; 02-13-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 PM
jabird12000

2007 convertable with 43000 and the same problem as above. I called Ford and they act like they dont know anything about it and will not extend the warrenty to cover it. Called the dealership I bought it from (Used) and they said they will be contacting Ford also to see if they can get the warrenty extended.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

k i gots a Q. this "new foam seals made of a better quality than OEM" is it some home made custom fab stuff or are there aftermarket door seals somewhere. also if they are one offs, what did you make them out of? kthx
Old 02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
V8 VOL
2nd Gear Member

Had my 07 GT in the shop last Saturday for my leak and hopefully has been fixed. It is raining today and so far so good. They told me it was grime that was not allowing it to drain correctly...got the pinestraw excuse from the service manager.....$350 later it should be fixed.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:28 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by VictoriaRR
I'm going to have to do that... my car is out of warranty and I never had the problem before until about a month after it expired. I'm not having issues now, but I have in the past a couple times after heavy rains.

What I've been doing is parking at a slope either at home or at work so that the front of the car faces toward the ground. Then I put a plastic baggie on the passenger corner of the winshield inserted inside a little ways. Throughout the heavy rains we had back in January here in SoCal, I did not have any issues and I believe it was due to this strategy. That doesn't mean I want to do it for the rest of the car's life, though. But I will as long as necessary...
I gotta tell ya. That is not the best long term plan. If you had the leak in the past and haven't had it repaired, there's a good chance that moisture has already started corrosion of the SJB, I'd get in there and at least check the connections. And the "parking at a slope so that the front of the car faces toward the ground/plastic baggie" fix is a band-aid at best.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

...also Nitrod86GT do the door trim pieces just pull right off? did you have to unscrew anything pull in a certain order or side or did they just come right off

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS