Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Old 07-18-2010, 12:17 PM
EddieD

Cool

Check at the exterior Cabin Air Filter intake. It's located hidden below a removable cover with air intake vents just below the passenger side windshield wiper. There is a weep hole at the bottom of the compartment which becomes plugged. During heavy rain storms or car washings, the water collects fast enough to rise above the Cabin Air Filter, thus leaking water into the cabin on the passenger side. Without that cover removed, this problem is not clearly visable from the exterior, or is it evident from underneath the dashboard while water is being poured over the vehicle. Clear the weephole, and remove any additional debris from that compartment, and replace the wet Cabin Air Filter.

The pain is removing the seat and carpet and taking the time to dry out the carpet padding.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
jswfl09

Great thread. I have a '07 in the family with a bad musty smell. Coming to the end of warranty, when it gets back from the dealership (AGAIN... usually stuff like hood peeling again, wheels bubbling, alternator and battery problems, etc) I will test and see where this leak is so it can go in and we can begin the battle.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 PM
carofmydreams

Default The rumors are true

Unfortunately, the things previously posted about the new mustangs leaking are true I just got back from the dealer after my car started acting really strange. I was coming home from work and a bunch of error signs started flashing: Low oil pressure, low fuel (although I just got a fill), park brake on, low break fluid, and data error. I parked my car overnight and planned to take it to Ford in the morning. The next morning my cars turn signals and lights no longer worked in addition to the alert noises going off.
$200 later the dealership told me I have a leak into my smart junction box (GEM module). A new GEM isn't the expensive part, finding the leak was estimated to cost up to $1500 because of the time. Lucky me the warrently only goes to 36,000 mi and I am at 39,000 mi.
I love the car but as I researched the problem I realized this is a very common problem. I am calling Ford in the morning to see what they tell me but this is REALLY frusterating
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

There is a Lawyer in California working on a Class Action suite in federal court who is looking for people who have had safety issues with this leak (i.e. Smart Junction Box Failures while driving, Car cutting out, Lights going wacky Ext.)

Ken Lipton
Law Offices of Kenneth M. Lipton
5900 Sepulveda Blvd, #400
Van Nuys, CA 91411-2511
1 (818) 780-3562

kenlipton998431@aol.com
Old 12-18-2010, 03:04 PM
whitefuji

I have 05 was out driving one night during a winter storm and had the all lights ,gas gauge, oil gage, blower motor ,doors windows etc . everything but dash lights the engine ran fine twenty min later all came back on DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED !! dealer had no answers checked all all of the fuses and they were good . anyone had this happen ???
Old 12-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Nitrod86GT

Again guys see the thread I started about the issue. Mine was behind the side window moulding channels. (the black things above your side windows.) The seal on the back of mine was bad causing the water to run behind them, inside the screw holes and inside of the pillars and down into the floor.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default So, what did you find out?

Quote:
Bascho said,

Ford keeps long-term test vehicles within the company and those are the cars Ford uses for internal testing. Other than thatall the autocompanies rely on customers bringing their vehicles into the dealer to have the problem diagnosed and documented. We have service engineers who comb through service records for reoccurring problems which need analysis and a formal solution. Ford issues TSB's everyday for different issues with different vehicles. Since I've asked those with leakstoPM me their VINs I've had exactly zero people do that. I've counted those that have said they have a leak on this forum and it's not even 20 people of the 300,000+ Mustangs that have been sold since 2005.
End quote.

Did you get vin numbers? Did you check? I don't have your faith in ford's computer because they kept telling me that "No one ever complained about this before." And that was both the dealer and the Ford tech rep. (this was in 08)

And now, my 07 has started to leak in a *big* way. And. there is no telling how long it has been leaking because the under pad was soaked but the carpet was totally dry until just a few days ago. How many poor slobs are riding around with an inch of water under their passenger carpet?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default ha ha ha

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
From what I understand from Mazda/ford in canada is that the leak will not happen with the 07's after 09-06? checked mine and nothing, it is sealed differerent at the seams on the right lower side!!
My 07 I just realized, is leaking like a sieve. Build date 5/07
Old 04-16-2011, 11:49 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default where?

Originally Posted by 2005StangGT
Official Verdict from the Invoice:

"Owner states water is pooling up in passenger floor.
No visible leaks
Remove right side of dash and center console, remove right side carpet for access and reseal open seam at firewall and kick panel on passenger side. Retest, Ok."

Hope its fixed....
does anyone know where this seam is? This is different from the TSB becaause they removed the dash and sealed it from the inside???
Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Hello everyone, I just want to start off by saying I know this topic has been murdered on this forum; however, I would be ignorant if don’t ask questions cause I found a nasty surprise in my 2006 GT as many have.

As you know, there was a nasty storm last weekend, and I always knew my car had a leak issue. I use to shop vac it out and thought the problem was resolved. To my surprise, after it rained, my viper alarm was making weird chirps, head lights were acting funny and my tail light would stay on even though the car was turned off. I touched the passenger side floor and behind the passenger side seat and it felt like an Olympic size swimming pool.

I finally manned up and took the whole car apart and removed the passenger side seat and took off all the panels and was amazed at how much water was there. There was 2.5 inches of water sitting there, I KID YOU NOT !!! The under pad was drenched and all I can think of was “MILDEW”. I read the TSB and followed all the areas, the two holes by the cam heads, the cabin air filter and drain, and the A pillar area. All was well except by the A pillar where I sealed the F - - k out of. I then got my buddy to use a garden hose and I can still see some water coming in and falling o the SJB. So I took to my buddy who has a body shop where he will further examine the issue with me and see if there is a fix. My brother has the same exact car in red and he never had an issue with his which is why I find it strange.

Long story short, I think my SJB is fried. I don’t know how to verify that. I think it still might be good cause all the lights work, and the car runs perfect minus the one real tail light bulb that never turns off , despite the car being turned off. So I will seal the SJB and wrap it up somehow to protect it from water and seal anything I can so I never have this issue.

How do I know if the SJB is cooked? My car has only 25 k on it, and I feel like burning it now. The mental trauma this water damage caused me was worst than bullets I took. I called 5 dealerships about the issue cause I still have power train warranty, and 3 pretended the problem never existed ad 2 said to pound salt cause your bumper to bumper ran out.

My advice to anyone who experienced this issue is to tackle this problem and seal the issue. Even though you don’t have the issue, you might have it and not know about it. Open her up and take a look and you might save yourself lots of cash.

PS: The dealer said that the part would cost me 1200 bucks before installation and parts. Can you f - -kin believe that? When they said they never heard of the problem. Food for thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS