Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM
blownblackstang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

I have a problem with wet floor, but it is on the driver side. Every tike it is wet out the floor gets soaked. I have not taken it in yet but will soon.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:34 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

Wow, Ford called and it's fixed already, knock on wood.

He told me on the phone it was a floor seam, and the moisture was from tire spray being kicked up.

So, it's cleaned and disinfected and ready to pick up.

In my case I never noticed moisture or wetness in the car, the carpet was bone dry. So what they said makes sense, it being misted from teh bottom like that.

At this point, it just seems like a fluke. Good thing rasguedo posted this thread, i would have never thought to reach in the fuse panel and feel the padding.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:22 PM
rasguedo

ORIGINAL: stratjakt

Wow, Ford called and it's fixed already, knock on wood.

He told me on the phone it was a floor seam, and the moisture was from tire spray being kicked up.

So, it's cleaned and disinfected and ready to pick up.

In my case I never noticed moisture or wetness in the car, the carpet was bone dry. So what they said makes sense, it being misted from teh bottom like that.

At this point, it just seems like a fluke. Good thing rasguedo posted this thread, i would have never thought to reach in the fuse panel and feel the padding.
Thats good to hear! I hope my repair goes as easy. Did they actually tell you they disinfected it? My Ford seems alittle bit lazy so I may have to request this be done. I think my problem may be the clog since it seems to happen even if I dont drive my car and I too have a whole lot of tree s#it that gets all over the hood and roof. If it is a clog Im also wondering where it is cause I have to park under this tree and the problem will just keep on happening. Ill ask the "leak guy" when I take my car in.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:12 PM
viza
1st Gear Member

I'll take it back to the dealer on saturday. They'll either be able to fix it, or if I have to, I'll pull out the lemon law.
Don't do this... take it back let them screw with it and try to repair it 3x. Make _SURE_ that you get everything they do in writing. This is the most important part, the documentation. It must show:
1. What you reported as the problem.
2. What they did to try and fix it.

Make sure that the "What you reported as the problem" matches up on each one. Preferably word for word. Keep all papers they hand you. If they don't want to give you something insist on getting it written up and offer to stay there until they get it done. Legally they have to give you some paperwork.

Once they haven't fixed it, get a lemon lawyer and let him pull out the lemon law. If you try to do this yourself, they'll act all knowlegeable at the dealer and tell you "This isn't bad enough to fall under lemon laws ... yadda yadda yadda". It's all BS and none of them know what they are talking about when it comes to the law ; ) If they did, they wouldn't be working at a car dealership They'll tell you x,y,z and try to manipulate you. It's all BS; don't listen, they are trained by Ford what to say when people start talking Lemon laws. In fact, don't put yourself into the position of needing to see the song and dance at all. They count on you not knowing crap about the real law, because they know nothing about it. Luckily we have lemon lawyers for this.

The lawyer works every time.... let him do the talking. Attorneys are allowed to sue them for not only the repairs, but their fees as well, so it won't cost you a dime. This is provided for by the Magnuson-Moss Act and is a part of the federal consumer protection law called the "Uniform Commercial Code" and the UCC applies in every state. There are also some states which have laws with this provision. Ensure that your attorney will be suing Ford for his fees up front in case he's trying to pull one on you as well.

Now go to http://www.consumeraffairs.com/lemon_law/ and read the Lemon Law How-To so you know what your rights are, what you are up against, and what you need to do. It involves taking a lot of notes on every conversation you have with the dealer, and stamping them with a time and date. Dealership people are trained con artists. The best way to fight this is with knowledge.

I have some carpeting to check...

Edit: It felt a little damp. Coupled with the fact that my windows fog up slightly inside every time I get in, even though it's not cold out... I think my car has this issue.

-Viz
Old 10-10-2006, 07:28 PM
stratjakt
2nd Gear Member

My dealer subbed it out to "Water Doctors", so part of their schtick is to fix any water damage as well as find the leaks. So I got the story through the tech from the water doctors guy. I reached in and checked, and I can smell some disinfectant. The techs exact words were "anti-fungal treatment"

I guess I'll find out next time it rains if it's fixed or not. At this point I have no reason to doubt them, though.

They did my oil change and tire rotation while they were at it, and didn't charge me a dime. Sweet. I'm going to try and find some warranty work to do every 5000 miles.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:44 PM
rasguedo

ORIGINAL: viza

I'll take it back to the dealer on saturday. They'll either be able to fix it, or if I have to, I'll pull out the lemon law.
Don't do this... take it back let them screw with it and try to repair it 3x. Make _SURE_ that you get everything they do in writing. This is the most important part, the documentation. It must show:
1. What you reported as the problem.
2. What they did to try and fix it.

Make sure that the "What you reported as the problem" matches up on each one. Preferably word for word. Keep all papers they hand you. If they don't want to give you something insist on getting it written up and offer to stay there until they get it done. Legally they have to give you some paperwork.

Once they haven't fixed it, get a lemon lawyer and let him pull out the lemon law. If you try to do this yourself, they'll act all knowlegeable at the dealer and tell you "This isn't bad enough to fall under lemon laws ... yadda yadda yadda". It's all BS and none of them know what they are talking about when it comes to the law ; ) If they did, they wouldn't be working at a car dealership They'll tell you x,y,z and try to manipulate you. It's all BS; don't listen, they are trained by Ford what to say when people start talking Lemon laws. In fact, don't put yourself into the position of needing to see the song and dance at all. They count on you not knowing crap about the real law, because they know nothing about it. Luckily we have lemon lawyers for this.

The lawyer works every time.... let him do the talking. Attorneys are allowed to sue them for not only the repairs, but their fees as well, so it won't cost you a dime. This is provided for by the Magnuson-Moss Act and is a part of the federal consumer protection law called the "Uniform Commercial Code" and the UCC applies in every state. There are also some states which have laws with this provision. Ensure that your attorney will be suing Ford for his fees up front in case he's trying to pull one on you as well.

Now go to http://www.consumeraffairs.com/lemon_law/ and read the Lemon Law How-To so you know what your rights are, what you are up against, and what you need to do. It involves taking a lot of notes on every conversation you have with the dealer, and stamping them with a time and date. Dealership people are trained con artists. The best way to fight this is with knowledge.

I have some carpeting to check...

-Viz
Thanks for the advice! When you say in writing do you mean the electronic write up they give you regarding the problem or do you mean to get a hand written write up seperately. Also do you think that the first time they looked at it and "found no problem" that i found counts as #1? Probably not huh.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 PM
rasguedo

FORD RECALL: Allthough it doesnt say Mustangs... check this out it is a little bit interesting with our present problems:

From the Washington Post:

The recall involves 139,537 2005 model-year Five Hundred and Montego sedans and 2005-2006 model-year
Freestar minivans because the side door latches may let in water, NHTSA said on its Web site on Tuesday

Hmmmm... Let in water....... Interesting tidbit could be nothing related to our problem but it does make you think.

The complete link to the article is http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101000880.html
Old 10-10-2006, 09:48 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Excellent recap of this issue, rasguedo. Thanks to you and all those that are providing technical, legal, and moral support!

My additions:

1. I have this problem in my '06, so it's at least a problem with '05-'06s.
2. My vehicle is a coupe, not a convertible.
3. What I have witnessed is way more than condensation. I am talking about being able to compress the padding underneath the carpetting with my hands and feel water start to wring out of it after raining for a few hours.
4. The reason (I believe) for the electical problems with taillights, etc, is that the black box in that service panel, the "Smart Box", is getting wet. This box controls pretty much anything electrical that needs any sort of logic (excluding stuff that the PCM does for the engine). Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, as I don't know first hand that this is true, but I remember someone posting this info. Personally, I have had a single tail light bulb stay on (bright, like braking) for extended periods of time, and my cruise control and rear defroster were both malfunctioning within this same time period (over the course of 2-3 days). I've never had any engine trouble of any kind beyond the fuel pump hesitation issue.

Yes, people do complain a lot more than praise a good thing, and I am sure there are those out there that are calling foul every time one of these threads pops up on the list, however, I don't think that a brand new car should have any of these problems within the first year:

* Rear end whining -- clutch packs
* Dash rattling -- comes and goes...usually present with passengers [:@]
* Hesitation on the highway -- crappy fuel pump design
* Loose "stuff" that causes the exhaust to make funny noises.
* Electrical problems
* Water leaks

Combine that with general dealership incompetence and unwillingness to investigate, and it's just very discouraging. I love my car, but I could do without some of the problems, at least for a year or so. I bought a new car to NOT have to deal with crap like this [&:]

As a small side note, I seem to remember someone posting a thread on why the windows seem to have condensation on them, etc. I notice this as well (the back window seems to always have a little bit of condensation near the rear defroster element), and it makes perfect sense that a leak would cause it.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:39 PM
rasguedo

Now that I think of it I did notice a lot of condensation first. Then the smell.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:31 AM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

damn im getting worried this will happen with my car now...guess i just have to start checking that box when it actually starts to rain here

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS