Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 AM
valiantjedi

Default RE: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Hi Everyone.

I seem to have found where the leak was coming from in mine. It required a bit of contortionist work to see. But when the leaking occurs I got inside the passenger side footwell and looked straight up. I could see water coming down all the way to where the frame met the door. Looking at the door seal I noticed there were two holes in the door seal about 1/4 of the way up where the seal bent. There was a hole that looked like a tear where the flap was. Although the hole was smaller on the driver's side. Seems like the door seals need to be replaced on both sides. I'll take some pictures tomorrow of it. I filled the holes with clear silicone and it seems to have fixed the problem. The electrical system works fine now. I own a 2006 Mustang GT Coupe.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:30 AM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: panzermk2

verdict is in. it was not any of the areas on the TSB leaking. It was another pinch welded seam that was missing some sealer. I am picking it up this saturday morning and I will post pics of were the leak was.
panzermk2's experience here is living proof that Ford's watef leak TSB is flawed - and unfortunately, it is simply Ford's attempt at a cheap solution to the problem.

Most of the vehicles that have been posted about with leaks have been vehicles that have had body seam sealer problems - not enough sealer - or missing sealer - or no sealer. Ford's water leak TSB does not even address this.

The speculation is that Ford did not want to put forth a TSB that required 4 to 6+ hours worth of labor needed per vehicle to remove the hood; right front fender; etc.; to get to the body seams.

Even if a dealer performed the TSB work for you - keep an eye out. Certainly Ford is not looking our for us.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:42 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Ok I took my car in for the water leak issue. My car leaks thru the windows on both seats evertime it rains hard. The service guy told me they ran a hose over my windows and couldn't get it to leak, so they told me if it happens again to bring it back. Guess I will need to take pics for them to actually do something about it.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:16 AM
valiantjedi

These are the two holes in the moulding/door seal that I filled. This fixed the issue with water leaking into the car. I used basic clear silicone sealant. I'm sure you can use any color. Cheap two dollar fix for a potentially huge problem.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:07 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: luckydawg003

Ok I took my car in for the water leak issue. My car leaks thru the windows on both seats evertime it rains hard. The service guy told me they ran a hose over my windows and couldn't get it to leak, so they told me if it happens again to bring it back. Guess I will need to take pics for them to actually do something about it.
Lucky, I took my 06 in for repair #3 last Friday (first two fixes were cowl related) and once again they confirmed the leak, but the leak guy said that Ford now has some revised clips that hold the windshield mouldings in that are known to cause the leak. Maybe you may have a similar issue if yours is leaking on both sides. They had to order the parts and its back in next week.

My dealer says they are well aware of the leaking issue and that it has many potential areas of water intrusion. A lot of what we spoke about from what others on here have seen done they were aware of..
Old 12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: valiantjedi

These are the two holes in the moulding/door seal that I filled. This fixed the issue with water leaking into the car. I used basic clear silicone sealant. I'm sure you can use any color. Cheap two dollar fix for a potentially huge problem.

It seems to me that the places you sealed are drainage channels. If they are plugged up the water will still get in the car. [sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

I have the same leaking problem in my 07 GT. I guess the next time it rains, I will take it to the dealer..

Old 12-12-2007, 02:17 PM
kcstangin

An update on my 2006 V6 Stang. I just took it to the dealer for the 7th time. My inital leak occured at 3K miles (I'm sure it was present earlier though) and now I am at 27K. Still leaking in the passenger side kick panel. They have done so many tests, seals, re-seals, weatherstrip, grommet fixes etc. There are too many to list. I got the the stang in Sept. of 06. It has been in the shop for about 33 days total. I just filed case with the BBB as I am tired of battling this car. It's a shame really.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

LEMON LAW
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
kcstangin

Yeah, I definately qualify. I'm just hesitant to start paying all those lawyer fees. Maybe I will have to resort to that though.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS