Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

has anyone just taken the TSB and gone to a shop that specializes in leak repairs?

cause honestly? if the dealer is going to gouge you and do a crappy job that still leaks, mite as well take it to a shop that hopefully chages less but specializes in stopping leaks

my $0.02

I'm bringing my stang back on the road in a few weeks and i am way past warranty and expecting the worst :P
Old 04-25-2010, 12:46 PM
pathrider

Default My water leak experience

I just joined this forum. My 2006 Mustang convertible has had water leaks into the front passenger side twice now. Apparently it is from a clogged draing that requires clean out and replacing a filter. Both times this has cost about $400. The problem is the debris that falls from trees where I live during the rainy season. I do not have a garage and have tried to keep the car covered. Amazing that Ford would design a car that would allow water to leak into the interior of the car. Why doesn't it leak to the outside of the car? Now two weeks ago I had the same issue with the top boot area of the car. Suddenly I heard water sloshing around in the left rear sectio between the interior door panel and the exterior. Ford had to take the back seat out, clean out a bunch of debris and clearing out debris in the trim piece that runs below the bottom of the car doors. This cost $400. Ford recommended replacing the carpet but that costs $1,000. I have dried the carpet out and will be careful to keep it covered. Have never had this problem with any other car.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Its amazing how much debris gets trapped in our car. I had the car up on the lift last week, and found leaves trapped in various areas where water should be draining out.. Yeah.. My car has gone back to leaking. Must be another clog somewhere.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Its amazing how much debris gets trapped in our car. I had the car up on the lift last week, and found leaves trapped in various areas where water should be draining out.. Yeah.. My car has gone back to leaking. Must be another clog somewhere.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

sense this keeps getting bumped, i would like to ask everyone who did the TSB yourself what tool you used to get the wiper arms off?

has anyone tried this: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-OTC4676-St.../dp/B000L7JQE8

or this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...W5HK7DYVBGVR2Q

i thought i took car of it but it noticed water dripping down last night after all those storms we are getting. i haven't done the ones on the driver side yet.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Vulcan420
1st Gear Member

MoneyShot - either of the tools you link to would work fine.

doode - as for other shops finding and repairing the leaks for cheaper - there are many possible causes and it is considered a "hard to diagnose" problem. It could take repeated attempts to resolve the problem. Between that and a lack of familiarity with the Mustang's leaks I can't imagine you saving any money AND getting a quality, guaranteed repair by going elsewhere. You would probably be better off doing it yourself with the TSB if cost is a major issue for you. Just think, once you go through it at least once YOU will be the expert at it.

I have a 2007 hardtop and I have to say I still find it hard to believe that Ford engineers could not even manage getting one of the most basic of aspects of this car right - keeping water out of the passenger compartment. A few years back I had a 1967 Mustang, 40 years older, and it had the exact same problem with debris buildup and leaking from the cowl vents. Silly me, I did not realize the retro styling of the 2005+ went so far as to include 40 year old design flaws as well. But that is American car companies for you - executive compensation is job 1.

I will say that once I have gotten through taking care of my Mustang's long list of problems due to poor engineering and substandard quality of parts and poor workmanship, mostly by buying aftermarket parts and working on it myself, I do like it and plan on keeping it for quite some time to come. Hell, at this point I feel like I built the thing myself from a kit. I just did not realize when I bought it that I was buying a project car with an almost worthless warranty in the guise of a new car.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Mine leaked a few years ago and knocked out the body control module. I lost the ability to drop my windows with the key fob because they replaced the module with a replacement. Ford discontinued the software to drop the windows with the fob. I also can no longer raise or lower them with the key in the door and hold method. They also gave me my car back with day time running lights when I did not have them before. They agreed to disable them for me. Now I just pulled the car apart to put my cage in and both floor boards were soaked. Like everyone else I did not know they were soaked because the carpet was dry up top. I have been living with the musty smell for several years but I didn't know mine was still leaking. I guess since my warranty is both over and void now I will have to fix it myself. I just don't know where to start. It's on both sides now. My drivers side was soaked to the bone.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Bnzred05

I too had the leak issue on both sides and it took a while to get it fixed. There are two areas where the water leaks through. The first one is through the cowl panel clips at the base of the windshield and the other is from the window trim. There is weather stripping that is supposed to form a seal between the window frame and the black window trim piece. If the weather stripping is damages/missing, water will leak through the holes in the window frame that are used to mount said black plastic trim piece. I did a small write up for another member on the board. If anyone is interested, pm me and i can forward the write up with some pictures
Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 AM
2bravo

Originally Posted by Vulcan420
...I will say that once I have gotten through taking care of my Mustang's long list of problems due to poor engineering and substandard quality of parts and poor workmanship, mostly by buying aftermarket parts and working on it myself, I do like it and plan on keeping it for quite some time to come. Hell, at this point I feel like I built the thing myself from a kit. I just did not realize when I bought it that I was buying a project car with an almost worthless warranty in the guise of a new car.
Wow... I've been lurking on this site for a while now, with plans of picking up a used 2010 GT later this year and had yet to post anything. However, this post, I gotta say, has made me think twice about my potential purchase. I'm coming from having a car that gave me nothing but problems... so much so that I had to sell it because I couldn't deal with them anymore. Infact, I've been without a car for the last year while I pay off the repair bills.

Should I really be considering this car if I'm looking for something that isn't going to be giving me headaches?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM
DND

Well, I had taken my 06 Mustang GT in on two differant occasoins in 2008 for water leaks on the passenger side. Now it's leaking again and out of warranty!
I found this on another sight that I thought some others might be interested in. I'm in for any class action lawsuit as this is my only recourse at this point!

http://www.editpacific.com/leaking_mustangs.html

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS