Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I really wish a class action lawyer will pick this up, and punish Ford...include the spark plug issue too!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default question?

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Hello everyone, I just want to start off by saying I know this topic has been murdered on this forum; however, I would be ignorant if don’t ask questions cause I found a nasty surprise in my 2006 GT as many have.

As you know, there was a nasty storm last weekend, and I always knew my car had a leak issue. I use to shop vac it out and thought the problem was resolved. To my surprise, after it rained, my viper alarm was making weird chirps, head lights were acting funny and my tail light would stay on even though the car was turned off. I touched the passenger side floor and behind the passenger side seat and it felt like an Olympic size swimming pool.

I finally manned up and took the whole car apart and removed the passenger side seat and took off all the panels and was amazed at how much water was there. There was 2.5 inches of water sitting there, I KID YOU NOT !!! The under pad was drenched and all I can think of was “MILDEW”. I read the TSB and followed all the areas, the two holes by the cam heads, the cabin air filter and drain, and the A pillar area. All was well except by the A pillar where I sealed the F - - k out of. I then got my buddy to use a garden hose and I can still see some water coming in and falling o the SJB. So I took to my buddy who has a body shop where he will further examine the issue with me and see if there is a fix. My brother has the same exact car in red and he never had an issue with his which is why I find it strange.

Long story short, I think my SJB is fried. I don’t know how to verify that. I think it still might be good cause all the lights work, and the car runs perfect minus the one real tail light bulb that never turns off , despite the car being turned off. So I will seal the SJB and wrap it up somehow to protect it from water and seal anything I can so I never have this issue.

How do I know if the SJB is cooked? My car has only 25 k on it, and I feel like burning it now. The mental trauma this water damage caused me was worst than bullets I took. I called 5 dealerships about the issue cause I still have power train warranty, and 3 pretended the problem never existed ad 2 said to pound salt cause your bumper to bumper ran out.

My advice to anyone who experienced this issue is to tackle this problem and seal the issue. Even though you don’t have the issue, you might have it and not know about it. Open her up and take a look and you might save yourself lots of cash.

PS: The dealer said that the part would cost me 1200 bucks before installation and parts. Can you f - -kin believe that? When they said they never heard of the problem. Food for thought.
I don't understand what you mean by the "two holes near the cam heads"? Can you explain?
Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Stangueray

Angry 2007 GT Convertible - Leak On Passenger Side / Water in Doors

I've been having problems with my 07 lately. When it rains, water becomes stuck in the passenger/driver doors. You can hear it swishing around while you drive.

This has been going on for a while (maybe 8 or 9 months). It usually goes away within 24 hours. I have not been to the dealer about this.

Last night, while driving home in the rain, Water began gushing slightly to the right and beneath the glove compartment.

Today, water continued to drip out of the same area and all over the passenger side mat.

I'm out of warranty and working with limited finances. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Look for the black rubber "bags" that are up against the firewall. There is one on the driver side and the other on the passenger below the battery. Those clog up with crap and the water back flows through the air filter. That is one of the most common causes of leaks. If that doesn't fix it, then you will want to look at the water leak TSB.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Lobo45

Default Water problems P-side kick panel

Originally Posted by rasguedo
Hey everyone, I got a 2005 GT right when they came out. It is the best car i have ever owned!!! By Far! However lately I have noticed that the new car smell has been replaced by a strong musty odor. I immediately went through all the check steps I thought I could go through. The windows where not left open, I didnt spill anything on the carpet ( Ihave leather seats so they arent the culprit), the air conditioning vents dont smell and the trunk also has no smell. I have cleaned the carpet with carpet cleaner, used a product from Stanley Steemer called odor be gone that had bacterial cultures that eat away at odor (sprayed on the carpet-twice). I cant seem to figure it out. I have had friends all smell around and in the car and nothing seems to be causing the smell (When sitting overnight and opened in the morning it is definately there). Im going nuts trying to figure it out. It isnt a dead animal smell, nothing is under the hood. Then I remembered these cars seem to accumulate water in the doors when it rains (unfortunately i dont have a garage). Sometimes after a rain storm I open the door and run my hand underneath it and slightly lift up the seal and some water comes out. Now I have smelled the doors and they dont smell but of course I cant really smell inside of them. When I used the carpet cleaner I used a paper towel to blot it up and behind the seats I noticed that there is a liitle indentation on the floor. The paper towels actually when picking up the cleaner picked up dirtier cleaner out of these indentations. These seemed like the culprit but when I stick my nose down to them they dont smell.... So Im back to the doors...Ford said if i bring it to them they will sniff it, but what would they do? I dont think this kind of problem is covered under warranty... Any suggestions or thoughts of where to look for this mystery smell would be greatly appreciated!!! I have a beautiful smelly car... If it is the doors i would imagine others would end up having the same problem eventually.

New guy here, looks like a great site. Hello from GA.

I have a 2009 Mustang V-6 Auto, with all the above problems. Leaking water from passenger side kick plate area, leaking on the carpet right below fuse panel area. Has any body gotten any great help from there Ford dealer. Have had problems from the past three years with this car, this is serious now with the water, need some help advice before I go into the dealer. I have read all the posts in relation to this, just wondering if there is something new to look at?

Thanks ahead of time
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Did you look to see if the drain holes in the cowl are clogged?
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There are generally 2 different leaks; the TSB-related leak comes from above the SJB and is due to leaks emanating from the cowling. This is the one that causes eletrical gremlins. The other is due to clogged rubber drain boots located in the engine compartment low on both the passenger and driver side firewall and will cause water to back-up and flow through the cabin air filter and into the cabin. These are easy to clean from the engine compartment.

If you have the TSB-related leak AND you have it documented that this problem was brought to a dealers attention before your warranty expired, then you have a case for a free repair.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Lobo45

Thanks for the info, thanks keep them coming.

Can some one send me a picture of the Cowl drain holes location Thanks again
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Anthony Beard

[B]Well I can confirm just by everything I've read in this forum thus far. Because I also have an 05 Ford Mustang, and I had to take mine to the dealer just today (Friday,Feb.08) I took it because just the day prior to today it rained really hard and bad here. And although today the weather was nice, When I went on lunch break, I noticed while inside the store my Emergency break lights started flashing for no reason. So I ran out to the car tryinng to push the button to turn it off but it wouldnot turn off. A few days prior to that I noticed that my Cruise control no longer came on and for some odd reason my RPM gage was'nt readin correctly at all, infact it's was litterally reading off the chart point all the way down at the floor of the car...lol So I already had suspisions that somethign was wrong, just not clear on what? I was thinking perhaps something was wrong with the computer system in the car maybe it nneeded resetting or something to that extent. well, today when the Emergency lights started flashign I immediately went to the dealer. So when they checked my SJB they told me that alot of water came out so obviously after readinthis as well I know for sure I have a leak. the leak is not on my carpet or atleast it is not appearant to me and there is no mildew smell and thisis the first time since I had my car in over 5 years that something like this has ever happened. However, I plan to have it sealed as soon as possible once I find out exactly where this leak is. Which after leaving the dealership I was told it is definitely on the driver's side of my car. and I presume somewhere near the windshield or something based on where they were talking of possibly sealing. I'm a little pissed after reading all of your posts because in a way I fell like Ford has jerked us all. Cause there are alot of people who share this almost same exact problem which means it's definitely an epidemic and not just a coincidence!! So I plan to keep reading these post to see if there can be some kind of complaint filed to Ford and maybe we can all be compensated somehow for our damn troubles. And to think these *** holes know this already and still want to charge anywhere between 3 and 4 hundred dollars for repairs on a problem they readily know exist by their own fault! I'm pretty damn pissed at this point with Ford! #AngryFord Owner!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Anthony Beard

Originally Posted by Juntech
So from what i gather this only happens on 05-06's? Thank you for your post, Warlok. Can anyone else confirm this?

What about contacting Ford? I am a potential customer and wouldnt mind putting some effort in telling Ford that they could sell me a car, if the changes are made. I mean, they already have your money, but not mine.
[B]Well I can confirm just by everything I've read in this forum thus far. Because I also have an 05 Ford Mustang, and I had to take mine to the dealer just today (Friday,Feb.08) I took it because just the day prior to today it rained really hard and bad here. And although today the weather was nice, When I went on lunch break, I noticed while inside the store my Emergency break lights started flashing for no reason. So I ran out to the car tryinng to push the button to turn it off but it wouldnot turn off. A few days prior to that I noticed that my Cruise control no longer came on and for some odd reason my RPM gage was'nt readin correctly at all, infact it's was litterally reading off the chart point all the way down at the floor of the car...lol So I already had suspisions that somethign was wrong, just not clear on what? I was thinking perhaps something was wrong with the computer system in the car maybe it nneeded resetting or something to that extent. well, today when the Emergency lights started flashign I immediately went to the dealer. So when they checked my SJB they told me that alot of water came out so obviously after readinthis as well I know for sure I have a leak. the leak is not on my carpet or atleast it is not appearant to me and there is no mildew smell and thisis the first time since I had my car in over 5 years that something like this has ever happened. However, I plan to have it sealed as soon as possible once I find out exactly where this leak is. Which after leaving the dealership I was told it is definitely on the driver's side of my car. and I presume somewhere near the windshield or something based on where they were talking of possibly sealing. I'm a little pissed after reading all of your posts because in a way I fell like Ford has jerked us all. Cause there are alot of people who share this almost same exact problem which means it's definitely an epidemic and not just a coincidence!! So I plan to keep reading these post to see if there can be some kind of complaint filed to Ford and maybe we can all be compensated somehow for our damn troubles. And to think these *** holes know this already and still want to charge anywhere between 3 and 4 hundred dollars for repairs on a problem they readily know exist by their own fault! I'm pretty damn pissed at this point with Ford! #AngryFord Owner!

Quick Reply: SERIOUS LEAKING/ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH 05+ MUSTANGS