Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MUST READ. leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: MUST READ. leak problem

I remember early generation Mustangs had a huge problem collecting water underneath the taillights. Eventually, the entire rear panel rusted out. Glad to see Ford is keeping with traditions. I bet we all had to pay extra for this retro feature. LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 08:13 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gone2

Yall drive in the rain?
It's my everyday driver
Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Yall drive in the rain?
Even if we don't drive in the rain, like me, a lot of us wash our Mustangs with water.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

Add me to the list of people experiencing this problem with my '06 V6 Coupe. I found the wet spot this morning, after a day of hard rain here in Maryland. This afternoon, I sprayed water all over the passenger side at the corner where the windshield meets the hood and it looks like the water is coming in around the big grommet where the wiring harness passes through the firewall. I took the passenger side cowl cover off and there is a drain hole with a rubber funnel in it, but that was clean. At that point, my wife fell and fractured her ankle, discontinuing the work for today, so I will continue tomorrow by taking the battery out and seeing if I can seal around the grommet with some silicon.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:26 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

By all means please update us with your progress. If a silicone tube and a squirt around that grommet does the trick... I'll be squirting the silicone sealant myself - much better than a trip to the dreaded dealership. Thanks for putting in the investigative effort.... and man... sorry about the Wife's ankle.... ouch! Hope she does fine and gets better quickly!

ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

Add me to the list of people experiencing this problem with my '06 V6 Coupe. I found the wet spot this morning, after a day of hard rain here in Maryland. This afternoon, I sprayed water all over the passenger side at the corner where the windshield meets the hood and it looks like the water is coming in around the big grommet where the wiring harness passes through the firewall. I took the passenger side cowl cover off and there is a drain hole with a rubber funnel in it, but that was clean. At that point, my wife fell and fractured her ankle, discontinuing the work for today, so I will continue tomorrow by taking the battery out and seeing if I can seal around the grommet with some silicon.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

Yall drive in the rain?
Even if we don't drive in the rain, like me, a lot of us wash our Mustangs with water.
Yall drive in the dust?

Kidding
Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

Yall drive in the rain?
Yall drive in the dust?

Kidding
LOL..... I was truly sooooo tempted to post exactly that. [8D] All in fun of course.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:57 PM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

Ok, I'm hopeful I may have sealed the water leak. I removed the passenger side inner wheel well behind the tire. There is a pair of grommets there where a big wiring harness and the antenna come through the firewall (see the picture). Yesterday, I laid inside the car while the wife sprayed water on the right side of the car and it looked like water was coming in there. So today I spread clear silicone around the grommets, waited for it to cure and sprayed water on it again. So far, no water inside.

I'm curious though, how many people have noticed this problem only when parking their car facing uphill. I think it would lend some credence to my theory if it didn't happen when the car was parked facing downhill, as the water would run away from the grommet on the firewall.

Also, if anyone else decides to try this method, let me know if it works for you too.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48028/D4415FF5258A490FB43B89831CA2BB86.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

I'd also spray the entire area with an asphalt-based spray undercoat while the cover is off for water, noise and rust protection.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:07 PM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

Any bad experiences on the '07 yet? We had a couple of days of rain here this week and I checked a day later and couldn't noticeably smell or feel anything. Hope I'm in the clear!

Quick Reply: MUST READ. leak problem