Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went Looking and GT's...and Utah sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 03:33 AM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

Default Went Looking and GT's...and Utah sucks!

Well my friend and I went to look at Mustang GT's today and I am looking to get one. I would end up trading in my MB C320 and probably pay the rest in cash, so I wasn't going to let them throw an inquiry on my credit since I wasn't going to finance with them. Well at the first dealership, the salesman was nice, and my friend who is looking also decided to bypass a test drive and just started working the numbers. Now I would never buy a car without test driving it, but this would be his first new car, so he was anxious to see if he could get it. Well they wouldn't come 1 penny under MSRP! They had 10 of them on the lot. They are still selling GT500's for $36K over MSRP too! So with no deal making, we left and I was upset he wouldn't even test drive the car, so the next dealership, we looked at them and they had 10 GT's, 2 GT's with Cobra badging and they weren't GT500's, and 6 or 7 V6's. Well, not only were they not willing to deal, they wouldn't let either of us drive one without filling out a credit application! They said they were too exclusive of vehicles to let just anyone drive them. I can understand they don't want punk kids rallying them, but when they have 12 GT's they can set one aside for people to drive. Since I wasn't financing, and my friend had financing through his credit union, we didn't want to have to fill out a credit app until we knew we even liked the car. There are 2 other Ford dealerships, but one is just an extension of one of the other dealerships we were at, and the other didn't have any Mustangs. So when they have that many Mustangs and aren't willing to deal, is Utah just stupid, or are these cars really that exclusive still? I see plenty of GT's on the road and they've been out for what 3 years. Kind of a downer on the whole looking at a GT, I didn't even get to sit in one, let alone drive one.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Went Looking and GT's...and Utah sucks!

No, they're not that exclusive anymore.......those dealerships are bulls**ttin you. You may want to try an area that has more dealerships so you can take advantage of a competitive local market.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:50 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It sounds like you and your friend are young and they wanted to see if you could actually afford the car. I've never been asked to fill out a credit app just to test drive a car, but they do ask to make a copy of my license which I know means they are going to run a not so legal credit check.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt pay more than a few hundred $ over invoice, right now. As we get closer to Chirstmas you schould be able to get closer to invoice and possibly an incentive from ford.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I would find a different dealership. I was only 20 when I bought mine, and they let me test drive it without a credit check. Most dealerships probably aren't like that though.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:42 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

I'm 21, so yeah I'm young, but I felt it ridiculous to have $0 off and Ford is offering $500 incentives and that 'wasn't an option' apparently. There are 4 dealerships in Salt Lake and one is small and focuses on trucks, and 3 are owned by the same guy(guy who owns the Utah Jazz) and I went to the 2 biggest dealerships here and they were the same. I'll try the other two this weekend.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:48 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

You may need to check outside of that area. Sounds like the market for these mustangs out there is a different ballgame. Kind of like it was with the new GTO's in my area. I've talked to alot of guys on the net that got their's for 26 to 28K brand new, but out here you couldn't get your hands on one for less than 35K. The dealerships wouldn't budge. Must be the climate of the local market.

Keep looking though, and eventually you'll find a good deal. There's always someone that's willing to make a you a good deal if you're willing to spend some money at their dealership.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
erlong

If the dealer has the Mustang on their lot, they can go below MSRP. Mustang GT's are not rare vehicles. Just make sure to ask what they can do about the price and that'll get them talking. If they are unwilling to deal, then go somewhere else. I purchased our Mustang GT on the Ford employee plan (family member owns a dealership in another state). MSRP was $29700 (or so) on ours and we paid $27009 after the employee discount was applied. They had to get the Mustang from another dealership so they cautioned me and said they couldn't offer their "rock bottom" pricing, but it didn't matter due to my ability to get employee pricing. Your dealer should fall inbetween the $29700 our MSRP was at and the $27k we paid (depending on options).

They should let you test-drive...at the very least with the salesman riding along. They made a copy of my license and my wife and I sat in front while the salesman crammed into the spacious back seat for our test drive (this was on a used '05 that they had on the lot). It definitely will depend what you pull up to the dealership in and what your age is. They probably didn't think either of you were serious about buying the car.

Good luck. You'll find one at a dealership that you'll like.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:43 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Keep trying. I have never purchased a vehcile (8 total) at anywhere near MSRP...that's crazy...
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That was my point. Not so much being serious, but rather being able to afford it. I'm sure plenty of people are serious about buying a $27k, but simply can't get financing. As a matter of fact I know a few.

ORIGINAL: erlong

They probably didn't think either of you were serious about buying the car.

Good luck. You'll find one at a dealership that you'll like.

Quick Reply: Went Looking and GT's...and Utah sucks!