Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 09:20 AM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!

Here is the link to the NHTSA where problems like this should get reported. If there are enough of them, they can investigate.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 11-13-2006, 11:47 AM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I am extemely hesitant to reply on this subject but my motivation for such is your concern of safety and not my desire to ease your (and everyone elses) mind somewhat....

I know you can swear that your foot was not on the accelerator, but consider the fact that the return force of the brake is much greater than that of the accelerator and because of such, it is possible that if your foot is depressing both pedals simultaneously - you may not feel the accel underneath your foot. Although electronic throttle puts control of the throttle plate in the PCM's hands, it can not and will not modulate the throttle unless three completely different and opposing travel signals from the accel pedal move together. It is virtually impossible for there to be three electrical malfunctions to happen at the exact moment in time and happen in a manner that makes the pcm think you have your foot on the gas. The system is actually too sensitive (Anyone ever had a "failsafe mode" event for no obvious reason?). The failsafe modes will become active if ANY of the tp, etc or app signals becomes out of a specific range even for a split second. Now, I really don't want to discount your concern. You should definately have this investiaged by your dealer. However, the previous poster is right in the respect that the dealer will likely not be able to duplicate the issue and will only have a VDR as a second option. A VDR is a Vehicle Data Recorder and is operated by yourself by pushing a button. This will record all the information the PCM sees during that time but it will require your ability to recreate the issue as well. Obviously this is not an ideal situation, but it is the only option if you want the dealer to take your complaint seriously, or make ANY type of repair attempt. They should remove your floormat alltogether as well. Just FYI, this is not something completely unheard of. All manufacturers deal with this regardless of the throttle contol, but it obviously becomes a sticky situation when it is computer controlled. Of all the people who have complained of similar issues, Ford has never had a confirmed case of self accel. All recordings sent back show that the brake and accel pedal move at the same time. Ever wonder why this only happens when you are braking and not any other time? It is due to pedal placement and the way you drive. I drive like that too, I pivit my right foot on my heel instead of lifting it completely off the floor and moving it over to brake. I have a size 12 shoe and have to be careful even in my manual 91 toyota because if I brake too hard, the gas pedal gets some and conseqently the engine will rev up sometimes during panic stops. Again, I wanted to give you the explaination your dealer will get when they call me about your concern and prepare you for the most likely outcome of your first visit. I hope for everyone's sake that the issue is handled maturely and seriously and I will look foreward to the result of your actions should you feel the need to post them. Good luck, buddy.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
citruspilot

Mine does this too! But every time it does my foot is pushing harder and harder on the gas pedal. Its just crazy I tell ya!! [&:] My dealership tells me to keep the key in the off position and it wont happen anymore.

Jeff

Sorry, I just could'nt resist!!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:13 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

I agree with everything you said here, except this: "Ford has never had a confirmed case of self accel." I'm not doubting the accuracy of that statement of fact, just the premise it rides on. Because if Ford confirmed a case of this, it would be a PR nightmare (Explorer tires, anyone?) not to mention likely a cause of a regulatory recall (read: Big Bucks). My meaning is that just because Ford hasn't confirmed a case, does not mean it does not exist.

Now, that said, that does not negate the rest of your point, and I think it is a very good one. As right as we all like to think we are, the humble truth is that all of us are wrong sometimes, even if we believe we are 100% right. Thanks for your POV and information.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:16 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

shaners,

i like your theory. fredm54, what size shoe do you wear? if you've got a size 16 or something... guilty!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

You are a very keen individual. You are 100% correct in both of your points and they wouldn't even tell me if they had a confirmed case. However, I believe that on such an obvious safety issue, they would initiate a recall rather than catch the business end of a class-action lawsuit if something like that was found to be a problem........but who knows. Good point either way though
Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

I bought a 2005 F-150 and only had that problem once. Yes, I had hit the brake and gas at the same time. Kinda scary at first, until I scooted my foot over. I bought my new Mustang back in June, and have only had that problem once. I was in a hurry and ran out of Walgreens to go home. I jumped in the car, started it up, put my foot on the brakes and VROOOM!! Then I realized what I had done, to my car this time, then scooted my foot over. Sometimes I think people just get in a hurry. I had the exact same thought the very first time I did it though in my truck. I was scared to death thinking it could happen at anytime, until a minute later I looked down and realized at that point what had really happened.

I know from past experience, **** happens.

- C
Old 11-13-2006, 03:08 PM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

shaners90lxhatch --
A well stated, rational response to what can be a touchy issue. I especially thought you brought up a good point when you asked why "this only happens when you are braking and not any other time".

Btw, a close friend is an attorney who defends auto manufacturers from, amongst other things, lawsuits for sudden acceleration. I believe he mentioned as well that neither he nor any expert witness/engineer he has used have ever come across a confirmed case of sudden acceleration caused by mechanical/computer error.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

Yikes, what's this all about?! [:-][:-][:-][:-][:-]
Old 11-13-2006, 04:03 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Juntech
Yikes, what's this all about?!
Have you read any of the posts......?

Quick Reply: HELP! Sudden Acceleration !!!