Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieting gear whine--solution found.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Been using Red Line Heavy Shockproof in my 8.8" with quieting success, for almost a year. The noise isn't gone, but it's tolerable now. Noticed little to no change in mpg.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 AM
MustangMichael

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Been using Red Line Heavy Shockproof in my 8.8" with quieting success, for almost a year. The noise isn't gone, but it's tolerable now. Noticed little to no change in mpg.
Thanks for the info! Good to know.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Hellride

Back from the dead, again. Have gears gotten harder to install quietly, crappy machining???

Gonna give it a try to see if it works. I have an bad whine between 50-65mph. Motives Performance 4.30 gear set....

They spent a full day an a half and stopped at 50 miles of test driving. I know they tried their best, replaced all bearings, etc. They do have the fastest street coyote in the country so the guy was upset about how it turned out dispite trying so hard. He took pics of the contact pattern, etc. From what I've seen online, looked about the same to me but I'm no expert. Next time, I'll let them pick and source the gears that way, in the end they will have to resolved it.

You guys have been on the hwy for hours right? Hot outside, cold outside, etc? Driving in all these conditions, has the noise changed? How so?

Last edited by Hellride; 06-01-2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

The guy who installed the gears in my Shelby also took a picture of the contact pattern of my gears. "Motive"

He was unable to make my rear end quiet with Ford Racing or Motive gears. After the third attempt, we gave up and I dealt with it. Red Line Heavy Shock Proof helped quiet the gears, but it was still there. Better than nothing.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Hellride

The guy who installed the gears in my Shelby also took a picture of the contact pattern of my gears. "Motive"

He was unable to make my rear end quiet with Ford Racing or Motive gears. After the third attempt, we gave up and I dealt with it. Red Line Heavy Shock Proof helped quiet the gears, but it was still there. Better than nothing.
Just for an idea how much it helped, if you had to give a % of noise reduction, how much did it help? Thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hellride
Just for an idea how much it helped, if you had to give a % of noise reduction, how much did it help? Thanks!
50% give or take. It made the noise tolerable so that it wasn't echoing inside your skull on acceleration.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Hellride

50% give or take. It made the noise tolerable so that it wasn't echoing inside your skull on acceleration.
Sounds considerable! Thanks
Old 06-01-2013, 04:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It quieted down my gears, but I don't get any whine on accel. Only whine I get is at steady cruise at 70mph and on decel.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Hellride

Originally Posted by moosestang
It quieted down my gears, but I don't get any whine on accel. Only whine I get is at steady cruise at 70mph and on decel.
Cruise and coasting/engine braking here, from 50 to 65.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hellride
Cruise and coasting/engine braking here, from 50 to 65.
yeah, anything over 50ish I get a little whine on light acceleration and cruise, plus engine braking/decel in gear. Mine isn't that bad, which is probably why I didn't notice much difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quieting gear whine--solution found.