Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Swaybar just showed up!!!!!! Once I get some help I'll have it on. I'll report back later. I'm excited to say the least!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:34 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

jay, just don't forget to make sure the links are tightened properly. and i HIGHLY recommend blue threadlock/loctite to KEEP them on there. i'm nervous for you man!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Got_Stang?

Drum Roll!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:16 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ilmor

I'm looking at a Shelby GT...no test drive allowed!!
They might let you sit in it and if your real lucky, they may let you start it up! ;-) But no driving! They don't let anyone but the new owner drive them.
I got to drive an 07 Shelby GT500 one of my friends owns. Let me tell ya, you're missing out on experiencing one awsome ride!

Wolfey2k
Old 05-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi, Guys, Well..................................It Worked! There's hardly any noise at all. Going to the beginning. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst.
10= 0 degrees Thunking like heck, sounding like it's gonna fall apart
9= 20 degrees Thunking bad and loud.
8= 32 degrees and above Thunking bad and nerve racking
7= Warm and Thunking still bad
5= Strut tower brace calmed down on little bumps
1= Were I'm at now. Only thunks on big bumps but even then not bad. Still not normal but not bad.It usually thunks a hundred times on my hill in 2 miles but only 3 times now. Get that TSB with new upper mounts & struts and I'll be a happy camper. At least now I don't need to sqeeze a C/C for new struts, I can wait as long as Ford "does" come out with the fix. Or I will get Bilsteins if they don't. I actually had a smile on my face. Finished some pinstriping too, got it all detailed up and heading to a cruise night tonight. With camera to show you guys what I've done lately. Looks preaty cool.
Thanks Northy for the swaybar link, worth every penny!!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 05:06 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Jay, that's cool!
Although what you've done is stiffin up the front suspension.
That means less movement and has evidently translated into less to no strut clacking.
How has it changed your ride or the handling in turns?

Suspension stiffining will help quell the problem but the bearings as we all know BLOW CHUNKS and we need them corrected.

Also, when did you come up with the data that the coupe's and 'vert's have different part numbers for the strut assemblies?
That would make sense though as the 'vert weighs more. Requires more damping in that case. Same case with the GT's and I am sure the Shelby GT's.

What I meant back then was, actually what Howard was told by the Mustang guys is the assemblies are the same where the front suspension goes.

Perhaps, and I mean perhaps the 'vert's have better struts and better strut mounts. I doubt the strut mounts are any better since we know that the Shelby GT strut mounts BLOW CHUNKS too.

Anyway, just got off the phone with Ford cust service. Spent about 30 mins. on the phone with the guy. His name is Chris.
Talked about the issue in great detail. He said he see's my car has been in on the same thunking issue twice so far. Without wasting time telling you guys all about what was said, the bottom line is not at all surprising to me. Just a plain FUGGIN STOP!
"There's nother further we can do sir. I can't tell you if there is a TSB in the works or when it will come out because I don't have access to this information".

Okay, well alright, GOOD! FINE! AHHHHH FUGG-IT!
Okay wolfey, time out, take a chill pill, calm down,,,breath,,,breath,,,relax,,,sigh...... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Cool Jay, so how much did that solid anti-sway bar cost you? What is the part number? Who sells them?
I may give it a try after I install my cross member that I should have back from my machinist by tomorrow evening!

I will of course be reporting the results! Stay tuned!

Wolfey2k

Old 05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Wolfey, It was back in March I was checking part #'s & production dates. It was when I took the dealership owner for a ride, he wanted to check if the GT's had the same struts, and I found out each model has different part #'s. Be it coupe,conv,6-8 or Shelby. They all use the same upper mount except Shelby. Also recently while checking with one strut company (looking for a quality upper mount)they were told by Ford to never reuse the upper mount because it was so bad. What does that tell you.
OK now to the swaybar: Nice Solid Swaybar!!! Check on this thread page #45, Post # 883 Northy posts the link to the swaybar. $139.95 w/shipping it was $156.74 From Cal-Mustang
Old 05-02-2007, 05:34 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Jay: awesome to hear you havea smile on your face!!! I hope it remains. Can you tell me which holes in the bar you used? Locktite? Any problems with the install? I've had that stupid god-forsaken bar on and off of there several times and empathize with anybody who's messing about with it!

Wolfey: i hope that super support you're having made works once and for all!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Got_Stang?

Jay, glad to hear on the huge improvement with the swaybar.
I also wanted to let you guys know that my Stang finally came in today and is being prepped for me as we speak, have to go pick it up around 6PM. Anyway, I stopped by earlier just to check it out and I looked underneath and sure enough, mine has the cross member brace mounted on it.....it's an '07 coupe.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:57 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Got_Stang?

Jay, glad to hear on the huge improvement with the swaybar.
I also wanted to let you guys know that my Stang finally came in today and is being prepped for me as we speak, have to go pick it up around 6PM. Anyway, I stopped by earlier just to check it out and I looked underneath and sure enough, mine has the cross member brace mounted on it.....it's an '07 coupe.
Interesting! That's the 2nd report I've see on the cross member being on a delux coupe or GT.

What is your production date? Is it April like the other one that reported that the cross member is there?

Ford must really be paying attention to our issue then since it seem that they are now including the cross member. I bet they are still using the same chepo strut mount though.

Let us know what your production date is would you? That would be great to know.

I'm going to go to a dealer and do some investigation to see if any of their latest production stangs have the cross member.

Vally intalesting indeed!

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise