Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Yea, I'm pretty sure it was there. About a 1 inch rod or pipe going from side to side. Not the sway bar. I know what those are. This was sort of in the vacinity of the oil pan
Hey Gidyup,
your production date is March of 07. As far as I know Ford didn't start releasing the cross member on coupes until early April. I guess it's possible they started late March. It's also possible that the dealer got the heads up on the upgradeand installed it in their shop before selling it to you.
Are you positive your car has the cross member?
I thought that Jay would tell you what pages or post's in the thread have pictures of the cross memberand where it's located so you can be 100%sure it's the same thing.
Jay, you know where those pics are in here. Please look them up and tell uswhere they are..refresh our memories. I am too lazy to look again. I spent about 10 minutes looking but can't locate them.

I swear, I hope that Ford's fix works!If it doesn't I won't be surprised but I amkeeping myfingers crossed.Chances are Ford is cutting corners and not upgrading the strut assemblies etc. and most of us who have added our own cross members that still have the thunk can easily assume Ford addingjust the cross memberdoes not solve the problem.

I'll have to look tonight when it gets home. I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure I saw it. I had read about it on this thread some, and was looking for it wondering just what it looked like when I saw the pipe thing and I remember thinking to myself, "that must be it."
Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

i can't find the picture either. this god damned site's search engine is and always has been a piece of **** or i'd find it in a sec. sorry you'll just have to look for yourself.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:29 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Okay Gidyup and Northy, I found those darn pics of the cross member.
Look at page 10, post 193.
There are two thumbnails to click on to see the parts blowup's of both the convertable and the coupe.
You'll see part #5025 is missing on the coupe.
Next you'll see a link 'attachments'.
Click on that and you will see 5 pictures of the actual cross member mounted on a GT500.
Same animal on all cars. That's the part that's missing on all coupes up until April of 07.
So look at the pics and check and see if it's installed on your car Gidyup. Please let us know what you find.

Wolfey2k

Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Okay Gidyup and Northy, I found those darn pics of the cross member.
Look at page 10, post 193.
There are two thumbnails to click on to see the parts blowup's of both the convertable and the coupe.
You'll see part #5025 is missing on the coupe.
Next you'll see a link 'attachments'.
Click on that and you will see 5 pictures of the actual cross member mounted on a GT500.
Same animal on all cars. That's the part that's missing on all coupes up until April of 07.
So look at the pics and check and see if it's installed on your car Gidyup. Please let us know what you find.

Wolfey2k

Will do. Thanks for the research.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

MY THUNK IS GONE!!
It was nice & warm this weekend.
The "thunk" is now a "think"

Seriously, the crossmember may have fixed my car @ 100 miles. Butnow she has3100 miles.
I have asked FoMoCo to authorize my dealer to install the crossmember and have not heard back from either one of them. I'm sure she needs upper strut mounts as well.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

If Gidy saw a tube going side to side it's a fair assumption that's it. Nothing else there. Maybe this is Fords quick fix. Put the crossbar on and maybe it will quite it up enough not to mess with the upper mount etc. Not.
Ya RLS, the other guy that had luck with just the crossbar had under 3000 miles. I didn't mess with my strengthening supports until I had over 6000 miles, now almost 7000. Like I said it turned down the voluum but it's still there. I'm assuming that plastic upper mount is really starting to wear out.
Maybe the torque was critical when mounting the plastic upper mounts at the factory. And not all the people assembling them had their crap together. So let say 20% had the wrong torque which aloud the sloppy free play and thunking. Now tie in a bad design strut without sufficent rebound and the thunking Mustang was born. Hum......
Old 05-14-2007, 05:23 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

If Gidy saw a tube going side to side it's a fair assumption that's it. Nothing else there. Maybe this is Fords quick fix. Put the crossbar on and maybe it will quite it up enough not to mess with the upper mount etc. Not.
Ya RLS, the other guy that had luck with just the crossbar had under 3000 miles. I didn't mess with my strengthening supports until I had over 6000 miles, now almost 7000. Like I said it turned down the voluum but it's still there. I'm assuming that plastic upper mount is really starting to wear out.
Maybe the torque was critical when mounting the plastic upper mounts at the factory. And not all the people assembling them had their crap together. So let say 20% had the wrong torque which aloud the sloppy free play and thunking. Now tie in a bad design strut without sufficent rebound and the thunking Mustang was born. Hum......
Yah Jay, obvious.
I still want Gidy to look now that he know's exactly what to look for and tell me what he see's.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

FYI, I ordered the OEM cross member and 4 nuts today from my local dealer. I have a thread to let you all know how it goes at

https://mustangforums.com/m_3218791/tm.htm
Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Hello Guys,
I have been on the road for some time now with work so I have not been up to date with you all . You can find my pictures of my crossbrace in my picture gallery on this forum. Just click on my screen name and then to my picture gallery and you will find them there. For those who are new to this and don't yet know my screen name it is "casperorr". You will find it either by looking in the last few pages of this thread, or by using the members link.
By the way, I am not sure if I am hearing the thunking noise or not anymore. I have tried everything to make the noise again, but I cannot make it happen. Although I do get a very soft noise once in a great while, but it does not sound like the previous thunking noise as well as it does not sound like it is in the same front area. Actually, if I don't carefully listen for it I don't even hear it at all.
I want to tell you that it is 100% gone, but I can't just yet. I can tell you though that if this is the best it will ever be, that I would definitely live with it. That is how good the fix was for me. I am very much a perfectionist in the way of my vehicles, so if you can understand what I am saying by this, you would know that it is now extremely quiet compared to the original noise.
But, that is not to say that I am as yet ready to dismiss this effort of making Ford own up to the quality of their product. I, just like the rest of you, want what I paid for. I have written a couple of letters lately to the customer relations link with Ford, but I have not received a reply from those post as of yet. I appreciate the hard work and persistence of those of you continuing the fight. Wolfey2k, Jays Mustang, Northy_Polk, and all the rest of you that are on the front lines, I applauded your efforts.
Iapplogize for my silence, my work hasme burning both ends of th candle lately. But I have not forgotten this effort. I have written lately to Ford and I will continue until they fix this problem. Ithas been some time since Italked with my local ford dealership, so I think I will go today and drop in and visit with the boys.

Thank you,
Casper
Old 05-14-2007, 06:12 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Yah Jay, obvious.
I still want Gidy to look now that he know's exactly what to look for and tell me what he see's.

I should know by 6:30 PM, MDT. Will let you all know.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise