Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Hi, My 07 has had the noise since the first day. Yes it seemed like it started on the right side first but now it's both sides. 5000 miles. Left started around 1200 miles. I live in Ct. which has bumpy roads. You guys with smooth roads are just lucky. I went to Cape Cod a few months back, (smooth roads) and only noticed it a few times over a couple hundred miles. So Ford might not even care about us with bumpy roads. And since it's not a safety issue it may never have a recall. Has anyone tried Bilstein HD struts? Thinking it might be a bad designed strut.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

ORIGINAL: LarryS

The thunking sound is your brains slapping against your skull for lack of density.
Very childish reply and not necessary in this forum.
You gonna make me stay in my room or what bub? The enemies of freedom are everywhere. Beware.
oh don't be silly, nobody will EVER take away your freedom to be a mean disrespectfull brat. do you have anything creative, stimulating, helpful, etc. to ad to the string?
Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Hi, My 07 has had the noise since the first day. Yes it seemed like it started on the right side first but now it's both sides. 5000 miles. Left started around 1200 miles. I live in Ct. which has bumpy roads. You guys with smooth roads are just lucky. I went to Cape Cod a few months back, (smooth roads) and only noticed it a few times over a couple hundred miles. So Ford might not even care about us with bumpy roads. And since it's not a safety issue it may never have a recall. Has anyone tried Bilstein HD struts? Thinking it might be a bad designed strut.
I installed KYB struts to no avail. I've replaced the upper strut bearings, with Ford as no other is available andI've removed the front sway bar completely. Still clunk! With the hood up, rolling over an incline,mymechanic had his hand on the upper strut bearing and strut shaft. He says it's coming from the upper strut bearing.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

I know a number of people indicated that they replaced their struts with several different brands, only to find that the problem remained. I think it would be truly amazing if FORD would use IT'S resources to do all this experimentation rather than all of us trying to putter around and drop cash and hours trying to figure this out. Not that Ford necessarily cares. . .
Old 02-09-2007, 05:37 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

I installed KYB struts to no avail. I've replaced the upper strut bearings, with Ford as no other is available andI've removed the front sway bar completely. Still clunk! With the hood up, rolling over an incline,mymechanic had his hand on the upper strut bearing and strut shaft. He says it's coming from the upper strut bearing.
So, Larry, you're saying that all of the stuff can be replaced up there but that in any case the Ford bearings remain? I thought I had a decent handle on the way those parts work and are put together but my ignorance betrays me once more. . . Hell, anybody tried taking the ones fixed in 2005 and putting them in the newer GTs and seeing if that did the trick? Straw grasping again. . .
Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

oops, hit send too many times.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

One more with the same problem on my 07 GT, so granted the problem is real and common to most Mustangs, I think a read only one fix posted by sandy, and I'll really appreciatte hearing more opinions and solutions.
I dint buy nor want a Lexus like ride but certainly didnt expect a Yugo-like suspension noise.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

whatever the problem is, it's found in one or the other of these pictures. i don't think it's the strut bearings any more since i replaced my strut mounts with Steeda ones and the problem is still there. i'm assuming that the new strut mounts contain new bearings that replace the old ones with the oem strut mounts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/56967/FE35CC7C765442D69595656237609D88.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/56967/D08A68E0EF2F4202B889EDED0E1E92CB.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

The thunking sound is your brains slapping against your skull for lack of density.
Very childish reply and not necessary in this forum.
You gonna make me stay in my room or what bub? The enemies of freedom are everywhere. Beware.
oh don't be silly, nobody will EVER take away your freedom to be a mean disrespectfull brat. do you have anything creative, stimulating, helpful, etc. to ad to the string?
My car doesnt have the problem. If it did id take it to the dealer and make them fix it. Thats what the warranty is for. No soup for you chuckles.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

hell i get it in the front and in the back - as well as at least two dash rattles, door trim pieces loose, rattling mirrors, rattling from underneith, clutch packs have been replaced in the rear end, and when your going really slow and then step on the gas it feels like the tranny is low on fluid. oh yeah and twice the car just would not start.

hmm..... quality is job 1 right?

all that being said, i STILL love my car

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise