Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

yes folks, but you're making it too difficult. the computer or ford or God or whoever can say whatever, but the strut mounts in the coupe and the strut mounts in the vert are exactly the same. that's the point. if mark from the UK has no warranty and has the thunk, he can buy the parts, put them in the vert, and be on his merry no-more-thunk way. savvy? please correct me if i'm wrong.
Absolutely correct. Didn't mean to confuse the issue. Just didn't want mark to be confused if/when he orders the part from a dealer and they tell him it's for the coupe only. It can certainly be used in the vert.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

actually,we didn't say exactly the same thing and here's why: the guy said he has a vert and wants the new parts. we will assume that it's because his car thunks despite the fact that it's a vert. just because he has a vert doesn't mean it's immune to the problem. i realize that there is disagreement on this and i appreciate that fact. but it's not super logical to think that the guy wants to go out of his way just to update the parts rather than to fix a problem. mark from the uk feel free to chime in here.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:17 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Aside from all the other dub in, the new strut mount will work on the convertables no matter what reason one may have for wanting to install them. That's the simplicity of it folks.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM
MarkBarrett

Thanks guys

Sorry to start a fight, but at least I'm 4,000 miles away, so no-ones gonna hit me over the head with a flying table!!!!

Actually, despite rumours that the Verts aren't affected, mine clunks a good 'un. Hence why I am looking to change - am also looking to move to BMR/Tokico suspension, so hopefully between that and the new top mounts I will have a quiet baby.

P.S. My car has covered 42,000 miles since '05 so guessing it is one of the higher mileage cars on here - maybe that's why it's clunking, and maybe the Verts will become prone to the problem, just later in their lives!

P.P.S Northy - thanks for the hint on availability, I will pre-order from my friendly Ford dealer in Baltimore near my aunt's house and collect when I come across next - kind though your offer to deliver was!!!!

Cheers

Mark
Old 08-10-2007, 11:22 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

My car has only 5000 miles and BOTH sides clunk...changing the springs shocks doesnt matter..been there done that....its all in that Strut Mount..just change that

and you will be OK..calling to order parts today i hope..
Old 08-10-2007, 11:37 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Without reading through the 85+ pages, is this a fairly simple/straight forward replacement that can be done in the garage (any write-ups)? TIA.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:40 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

You only need to read back maybe 10 or 15 pages to get the answers you seek!
Geeawwd! Some people are soooooooooooo friggin lazy!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 AM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

You only need to read back maybe 10 or 15 pages to get the answers you seek!
Geeawwd! Some people are soooooooooooo friggin lazy!
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]Ah well, at least that narrowed it down. thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

Without reading through the 85+ pages, is this a fairly simple/straight forward replacement that can be done in the garage (any write-ups)? TIA.
you'd have to be comfortable using a spring compressor or have access to somebody that has one. that's the biggest 'danger' factor besides the car falling on you or dropping your beer on the battery and accidentally grabbing for it with your screwdriver in hand and connecting positive and negative terminals and frying yourself
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

ORIGINAL: MartyMoose

you'd have to be comfortable using a spring compressor or have access to somebody that has one. that's the biggest 'danger' factor besides the car falling on you or dropping your beer on the battery and accidentally grabbing for it with your screwdriver in hand and connecting positive and negative terminals and frying yourself
OUCH! [:-]

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise