Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Ya I'm not sure if the suspension mods voided the warrenty. Other threads address that issue I've seen. I doupt if anything you did caused the problem. Many us had the problem the first day of ownership. I drove my car off the lot with only 7.5 miles and had the noise the first bump. Ford had some bad quality control on some parts. Well, even if you voided the warrenty hopefully the cost of the fix (when it comes) won't be too bad for you. I'm guessing it will probably be a $300-$400 fix. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

You're never without options, so fret not [too much]. From all I've heard, warranty issues are a creature of an elusive nature and depend on your particular dealership. Some say "Oh, you changed the floormats and that caused the weight to shift and therefore the transmission problem was your fault". Others are more likely to work with you. Unfortunately I don't know which ones!!!

One argument in your favor is that people who DIDN'T put this equipment on have the noise, therefore your stuff didn't cause the noise. The stealership doesn't need to know you put that stuff on and two weeks later the noise arose. . . right?!

For my part, I simply don't understand why all these folks that have installed thousands of dollars in lowering kits and adjustable struts AND strut mounts are having this problem unless it's NOT THE STRUTS OR SPRINGS OR THE MOUNTS alone but some sort of voodoo combination of the a-arm brace, springs, struts, mounts, and the temperature in Timbuktu.

Anyways, that's more than my two cents. . . guess I should work now
Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

Like Jay, my brand new 07 made theclunking noise from day one, but has increased in noise levelover a short amount of time. With only 750 miles on the car, it sounds like it has a broken strut. I plan on hitting the dealership this Saturday, so I'll let you know what they say. I feel that Ford already knew about this problem from the beginning,but chose to let it go because of cost. Dissappointing that they have'nt correctedthe problem in the front suspensionsince 05.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Hey Retro,

Sorry bout you havin to join this thread and all. . . but we'll get this fixed soon.

I'm curious now where everybody's from. If everybody would just respond with the state and maybe the city that the dealership is in, and if enough people respond we could start a poll just to keep track.

Northy
Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
BigBoreDyna

Hello All,

Well, I finally pulled the trigger on a new Black 07 GT Premium Coupe 2 weeks ago.I've wanted one ever since I sold my 97 and saw the 05's. My first brand new car. Wisconsin winters totally suck, and it took all of my funds to be able to pull it off. In other words I have to drive it because I have no winter beater. So I'm sure you all can relate to how upset Iwas when the right front started clunking (at about 600 miles). Searched the internet, found this forum, read this entire thread, andunfortunately here I am. I called my salesman (Griffin Ford in Waukesha, WI), explained the problem and told him aboutALL of the things you guys have tried. (Thanks for all of your hard work and information on this). He said he would check into it and that I should call him back tonight to see what he came up with. They have been great through the whole sales process so hopefully that will continue. I'll post when I hear from him.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi, That was a good idea on the poll. I just started one asking if they live in a cold or warm weather state. Hopefully it will get alot of responses. I always figured the people that live with nice roads probably don't hear/notice it that much to be an annoyance. Like I mentioned long ago I went to Cape Cod for a few days (smooth roads) and only heard it a few times in a couple hundred miles.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:11 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

I'm more in favor of a theory that, between certain dates, a batch of cars was made with something wrong with them rather than a weather related theory. Highway driving is 95% normal. It's when I'm on Connecticut avenue and hit the washboard pavement where it's warped from overuse and under-maintenance that the real trouble begins. At this point, I try not to go over 30 for fear that something will break/pop/collapse or whatever.

I never heard from the foreman at the dealership yesterday as he indicated he would. I hope he gets to me today. Thankfully I have the bus as an alternative, and it's cheaper than $12/day in parking fees and the hassle of road rage.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I agree with the bad part theory. I'm sure not every part, be it a bearing, bushing etc. was bad on the assembly line. The fact that some cars were bad off the dealership lot, others took hundreds to thousands of miles to act up proves that. The company that provided that bad parts should be on the hot seat with Ford. Granted Ford was at fault with quality control too. Too bad for the guys/girls that have used up their warrenty. I'm sure the pencil pushers at Ford accounting have thought about this. Like someone said they produced 170,000 the first year, and if even only 10% have the problem, they just saved themselves alot of money.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Yeah...the dates are July 2004 - Present. I suspect all 2005+ models (except verts) have it. I think many people are used to a thunking noise and therefore don't think anything is out of the ordinary. I still don't get why it's only on the right side. Wouldn't you think both would have it? This thread is long so if the answer is there I missed it. The dealership did that earlier TSB where they replaced the whole right upper suspension pieces. That didn't fix anything.

Things I have found wrong with my car that accounted for some of the thunking are the wheel well liner on the passenger side was very loose. They fixed it. I removed the hood prop after installing hood struts. Both seem to have addressed some of this noise. I'm thinking I still have it, but definately not as bad as before.

Like the rest of you...I've had this from day one. Weather has no affect. Cars are made in only one place so it's unlikely there is a variation in the assembly line process. I think this is just an engineering issue.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

My left side kicked in around 1200 miles. Now with over 5000 miles it's very noisy. Boy today at 0 degrees this morning it was real bad. I figure the bushings were probably hard as a rock and help resonate the noise into the car. I thought that maybe there were many thousands of us with the problembut there could be just a fewhundred. We I guess were the unfortunate few that had to buy a new Mustang with suspension problems.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise