Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Chritaka

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

If all of you new how cheap the bearing plates are on these cars (Plastic)you would know why the front end makes such a clunking noise. I just bought the Steeda bearing plates and installed them once I finish my suspension upgrades I will let you know if it fixed my problem. Just for everybodies info when I was taking the front strut off the drivers side the bearing plate fell apart in my hand and all the ballbearigs fell out on the ground.
In the middle of the picture is plastic bearing plate with thecheap ball bearing ring.The Steeda replacement is to the left.
RICVA05, Any update on this? I recently put Steeda Sport springs, HD Upper Strut Mounts, and f/r swaybars on. This "thunking" noise is now worse than stock. However, it does not appear that there were any rubber spring isolators on the springs stock, so there were none put back on the Steeda springs.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Did you also put in the Tokicos at the same time? So what you're saying is that you totally rebuilt the suspension and STILLhave the clunking????? The only solution for this car might be a CLIFF.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

As far as I learned the spring isolators helped with the spring "catching or pop noise" when turning the vehicle. (parked or cruising) I was ready to get those Steeda HD mounts myself a while back, too. Well, time to call the Executive board again. See what they found out. Hope I don't have to sit by the phone again all day. Which I have since Monday morning.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 AM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polkThe only solution for this car might be a CLIFF.
Here's the real solution
No clunking here.Nice and smoothe and runsmid 12s bone stock. Anybody want to buy a high 12 second modified clunkie Mustang with only 2K miles on it?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

LarryS, Ah yes, there are alternatives! Although, and I realize it's more expensive, I really prefer the Z06. But sweet muscle car nonetheless, sir! For some reason Jeremy Clarkson [English pig dog] on Top Gear was saying that the Z06 was not a good "daily driver", but he's eternally critical of just about every car in existence!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Ya I learned my lesson too. No more little 2-3 mile test drives. I'll only do a 10 mile test, onat least every road condition possible. But I guess it still can't find every problem. I was going on the fact that my 95 Mustang was a good car. No problems for 3 years and then after that just a sensor and ignition lock. So I assumed the new one would be trouble free. Who could possibly imagine having a thunking noise right out of the dealership parking lot. As I said before, Ford should be ashamed of there quality control. It stinks like ....!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:15 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

LarryS, Ah yes, there are alternatives! Although, and I realize it's more expensive, I really prefer the Z06. But sweet muscle car nonetheless, sir! For some reason Jeremy Clarkson [English pig dog] on Top Gear was saying that the Z06 was not a good "daily driver", but he's eternally critical of just about every car in existence!
My Corvetteis just a plane old cheapie C6, not Z06 but it's a pretty nice car just the same. I would have preferred the 427 verses my little 364 cu inbut I wanted an automatic. This 6 speed paddle shift is one fine tranny. I realize it is more expensive than a Mustang but you know what they say, you get what you pay for. It's true with this car verses my Mustang. Quiter, more powerful, zero noises and certainly a lot more performance potential.

In all honesty, I would enjoy driving my Mustang though if it just didn't have the clunking noise. After reading through all the posts in this thread, some how I feel the A arms have something to do with the noise.Haven't read anywhere that anyone has replaced those with the BMR street version. I've replaced thestruts with KYB, upper strut bearings(with ford bearings however), removed the sway bar, hadevery ball joint checked, spring isolators are on, andK member replaced with the BMR (of which I reinstalled my factory due to excessive vibration). The only thing I have not replaced is the A arms. Those who replaced the upper bearings with the Steeda have saidthey still have the clunking. Just not sure it's the bearing regardless of how cheaply made. What elseis there?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

The A-arms have been a thought too. I wondered about the new design with the control arm bushings. Rear one is fluid. I checked on the part # of the upper bearing mount and as of a couple weeks ago it has a production date of 06/05. Meaning you put in the same crap as the first 05+ style came out. Back with the control arm, when it's very cold, under 20 degrees the noise is louder and 0 degrees it feels like it's going to fall apart. So I agree the control arm, when frozen bushings, transmits the noise worse into the car. Believe me if I thought just replacing the bushings with better one would do it, I would have last fall. As you know alot of guys have done major repairs and nothing worked so far. Problem is the car so new you can't just go to a local auto parts store and buy a new aftermarket upper bearing mount etc. I would have done that too. I'm still waiting on the phone call from Ford executive this morning. Maybe I'll find out what's exactly wrong anyway.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Well, I hate to admit it, but I bit the bullet. . .again. I have an appointment tomorrow with Excessive Motorsport in Manassas Park, Virginia, for installation of the following:

Steeda springs [not sure which ones yet, Sport or Ultralights]
Steeda ProAction shocks
Steeda GTrac Brace
Steeda street/comp endlinks
Steeda HD strut mounts [already have them and new bearing if they need em]
BMR non-adjustable A-Arms
Adjustable swaybar from Cal-Mustang.com
Edelbrock 3 point Strut Tower Brace [this is cool!]
PLEASE ADD ANYTHING YOU THINK I FORGOT. Anything that could possibly cause the thunk must go and be replaced.

If this doesn't work I'm making arrangements to have the car stolen, totalled, and the money will go to buy a Honda Civic, stock, with no luxury accoutrements whatsoever, not even a damn airfreshener.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:56 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Northy, did you see the post by Scrming stating that he replaced his front strut assemblies that came with their own 'new' strut mounts/bearings with Tokico's?
He stated that after they were installed and since he already has a BMR cross member, the thunking is now GONE!
If you are going to dump a bunch of money into your car for what seems to be a completely new front end, I'd suggest giving Tokico's a try. That seems to be your best bet!
I'd wait for the TSB to come out but hey, it's your car man ;]
Good luck with the overhaul. I have a feeling your gonna need it.
Wolfey2k

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise