Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:29 PM
casperorr
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Well I got my Mustang GT back from the dealer today. Really there is no need for a posting of my possible cure. SAME, SAME. "We do recognize the noise is there, but we can do absolutely nothing, not even troubleshooting in the way of replacement of parts etc. etc.. I don't know why I even bother taking it in. I don't know how anything can be solved by just looking at it.
I watched a program on TV the other day that lit a little fire in me. To make it short I will tell you how it would be done if we took the same approach.
EXAMPLE:
If we all lived close enough to each other, we could all take and park out Mustangs at a chosen dealership, with a banner/sign of our ongoing problem. Making sure to notify the press/TV networks along with our long and continuing struggle. We would need to make sure and not add any fiction to our story, or any threats, for we want to possibly gain the support or the public. It would be very important to not set ourselves up at being looked at as many needing anger management classes. In all, we need to show exactly what the problem is. We bought BRAND NEW, above average, exspensive, highperformance vehicles that without question has a front end problem. Making sure to mention that this is not an isolated problem of only a couple of cars, but that it is affecting a very large number of Mustangs and that it has been going on too long. Stating that we have followed procedure with the Ford Motor Company policy concerning warranty work, and have been given a line of excuses, bad attitude, the cold shoulder, and the stupidity of telling us that "it is just the nature of the car". One thing is for sure, we can back up what we will be expressing to the public, for many of us have written proof of said excuses etc..
I believe an approach on making Ford save face and making them publicly express their side to the public, will push them too actually do something about this. Money talks. Without any doubt, to some degree it will affect sales of the Mustang. Hopefully a very high degree.
Just my two cents worth,

Casper
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Funny [in a dark sort of way] because I was thinking something similar. It would indeed take a lot of organization, but I'd show up!!!! One of the major problems I see with this is the potential for looking, to the public,like a bunch of idiotic whiners, or at least being portrayed that way to the media. Anybody have any experience with this sort of stuff?

We could do a road rally "Clunking Along" and meet in a designated area where we have the signs/media that you mentioned. The sad, honest truth, I believe, is that Ford is doing so poorly right now that even if they wanted to do something about this I'm not sure it could. It's almost like an indigent client who is "judgment proof" because even if you sued the client nobody could recover because the indigent client has no money. I don't know

In the end I hope that the ever-patient Wolfey is correct and that a TSB will arrive that applies to all of us and fixes our clunks [actually i hope mine is fixed this week].
Old 03-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

In my letter to Fords Board of Directors, I explained in great detail how they could be losing millions in sales due to this issue. When I spoke to the Board yesterday they were totally unaware of the front end thunking noise in new 05+ Mustangs. That goes to show everyone how big business works. The middlemen to the top just say "everything is perfect" with the Mustang, when in fact we're suffering with this problem. But I haven't been contacted yet with any answers. They said they'd get back yesterday morning but nothing. And nothing today either. And I did call back only to get answer machine. I'll give them the "benefit of doupt" and assume they're having trouble getting an answer too. But I won't be happy if I don't hear from them tomorrow. As far as a "rally" would go I think other than being large process, it wouldn't be recieved well. If it was a "safety issue". Like "car fires" or "roll overs" it might make news, but a noise issue I don't think theTV news would get involved. Hopefully Ford Executivesare getting the news this week and it might help push a resolution our way.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:34 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hey you guys. Sorry you're getting fed up with Ford but I understand.
I by no means am on their side. I just know that effective knowledge and communication gets things done. Not reactionism.

Has anyone suggested submitting a petition signed by thousands of thunkerstang owners?
This would be most effective in getting the message to Ford that we are serious, that the issue is serious and that they had better get serious and solve the issue.

I agree that trying to interest the media is a long shot. They are the merchants of chaos and our problem isn't chaotic enough unfortunately. It's a minor issue in comparison. Remember when GM intentionally trashed their EV cars for no good reason? There wasn't that much media coverage of that when it happened and that was a catastrophe because today we'd have EV's that get better than 200 miles per charge even though they were hitting 120 miles per back then which isn't too shabby for around town back and forth to work vehicles. It was a catastrophe because EV's don't pollute the air at all. We'd be much farther along toward solving our national and international pollution problems today if it weren't for them bending over for the oil cartels. Anyway, that wasn't considered news even though thousands of consumers and non-consumers were outraged by GM failing to do the right thing, the greatest good for all. Money loving cowards!

Same thing with Ford. They are suffering financially and I bet they are sweating bullets about having to issue evena limited 'by complaint only' TSB! But I do believe they ARE doing something about it.
For all we know they will be issuing a TSB that replaces LCA's, bushings, strut assemblies with upgraded strut mounts and of course the missing cross member. Expensive! But just like you I don't give a rip how much it costs Ford.

They shouldn't have sold us a Thunker in the first place, PERIOD! And we all know they knew about it but decided to let it go into production the way it was. Dumb!All the manfacturersdo that crap though. Buildum, shipum, sellum, fixum later. Dumb! The game is make PROFITS!

So yeah, I am being patient and waiting. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt because I have been up close where most haven't and heard the Mustang guys themselves tell US that they know about it and are working on a solution. That story is back on page 8 or 10of this threadI believe if anyone wants to check it out.

I am giving them until the end of the second quarter as much as it hurts. After that, it's open season! I'm gonna get really nasty! I DEMAND they fix it and I will have SATISFACTION by GOD or they are going to buy it back from me! I have kept maticulous records of everything and this issue has been addressed twice by my dealer so far. All I need is one more attempt and then their ***** are mine!

So don't take my being patient as laying down. I'm just laying in wait to pounce if they screw up! They can only string us along so long then it's going to come time to caugh up a solutionor else!

By the way, I talked to Howard at the dealer today. He told me that he had just done a follow up call with them while speaking on another issue yesterday. He said that the Mustang team is waiting on the paperwork to go through with all the T's crossed and I's dotted. So it shouldn't be much longer now. I have no reason to doubt what Howard is telling me. He's been a straight shooter with me so far.
One good point Howard brought up today was that since Northy is going to blow a big chunk of money on rebuidling the front end with aftermarket parts, why not spend about $280 bucks and buy the genuine Ford cross member and have that installed first?

Remember you guys, and any of you can test this for yourself, the convertables don't thunk! They share exactly the same parts as we do except for the addition of the subframecross member. They have it and our's don't have it. New stock front ends with cross members = NO THUNKING.
New stock front ends without cross members = THUNKING!

I would try the cross membernow but I don't want to blow the chance of getting it fixed under warranty. I would also insist that theyat least replace thestrut mounts if not the entire strut assemblies at the same time so we start off fresh! And yes I did already ask if Ford would re-emburse me for the cost of the cross member install when they come out with the TSB and I was told "no".

Best of luck Northy. God I pray you get the results you are hoping for. I can imagine the stress of it not coming out that way but I don't want to think about it ;[. I have enough on my plate right now. :|

Old 03-21-2007, 09:04 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Great write-up Wolfey. Although reactionism does occasionally work, except that somebody usually ends up dead and then there's an even worse mess! That's why they created "crimes of passion". Enough of that. . .

I'm not too worried at this point. I've brainwashed myself into thinking I was going to do all this stuff down the road anyways and over time rather than all at once, so it sorta takes the sting out of it. And I'm relatively young, not yet married, no pets or kids, cheap rent and lots of disposable income, so I'm not doing too badly even if I'm not always successful in my "experiments" lets call them. AND even if it doesn't fix it, I still have record of my VIN sent to Ford requesting help so I may still be able to get something out of it.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:55 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Northy I have had my 05 since 3/05 it has had the front bearings replaced by Ford once with the same noise after the fix. So I went with the Tokicos 16 Months ago it still makes the same noise. So I also decided to change out the front end with HD bearing mounts, X-5 Ball joints, Which by the waySteeda recommends bump steer correction with this item and Steeda front end links.
My car has been sitting on jack stands for2 weeks waiting for my coastline drive shaft so Ihope when I get every thing back together next week and get the alignment and pinion angle done the clunking will be gone. This thing is costing me a fortune not to mention the F1 Eagles I just put on. If you get rid of your clunking noise please let us know I have had 2 years with this crap it is kind of sucks pulling up to a cruise -in clunking into my parking spot.[:@]
Old 03-21-2007, 10:13 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

Northy I have had my 05 since 3/05 it has had the front bearings replaced by Ford once with the same noise after the fix. So I went with the Tokicos 16 Months ago it still makes the same noise. So I also decided to change out the front end with HD bearing mounts, X-5 Ball joints, Which by the waySteeda recommends bump steer correction with this item and Steeda front end links.
My car has been sitting on jack stands for2 weeks waiting for my coastline drive shaft so Ihope when I get every thing back together next week and get the alignment and pinion angle done the clunking will be gone. This thing is costing me a fortune not to mention the F1 Eagles I just put on. If you get rid of your clunking noise please let us know I have had 2 years with this crap it is kind of sucks pulling up to a cruise -in clunking into my parking spot.[:@]
RICVA05,
have you been keeping up with this thread? I ask because I am wondering if you are aware of the missing cross member issue.
Convert's share the same suspension parts as ours per Ford with the acception of an additional subframe cross member. There are pics of it back in this thread if you want to have a look.
Scrming already had an aftermarket cross member before he installed his new Tokico's.
I believe this is why he has no more thunk.
Do you have a cross member in yours? I have a feeling you don't.
Are you sure it's the struts making the noise?
Just curious.
Wolfey2k
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k
RICVA05,
have you been keeping up with this thread? I ask because I am wondering if you are aware of the missing cross member issue.
Convert's share the same suspension parts as ours per Ford with the acception of an additional subframe cross member. There are pics of it back in this thread if you want to have a look.
Scrming already had an aftermarket cross member before he installed his new Tokico's.
I believe this is why he has no more thunk.
Do you have a cross member in yours? I have a feeling you don't.
Are you sure it's the struts making the noise?
Just curious.
Wolfey2k
I have been following this thread hit and miss, I have been resigned to the fact that it is my problem now since lowering and the Tokico's and to many other Mods. that won't fit in my sig. I did read where you posted about the cross member I think I will try that besides it has been a couple of days since my best friend the UPS man has been here. If I keep on spending money on this thing I am going to be divorced and living out of my Mustang. Thank you again for your advise. Thenoise doessound like it is coming from the strut area but I've been wrong before if any thing I am going to have one hell of a cornering car.
Johnnie
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

RICVA05: fear not, I'll post the results. Looks like we've got the same car aside from the wheels! Just a few things. I'm assuming that your Tokicos did not come with their own, non-OEM mounts. . . And obviously since you haven't installed the HDs yet you can't answer whether that will work! I say [as evidenced by all the **** I'm having installed] put an Aarm AND a strut tower brace on there too. Hell, what's another couple hundred bucks right. . . I'm this much closer to bankruptcy BUT HEY I've still got my health and my girlfriend, so I'm going for it!

ps: where's chesterfield? we'll have to grab a beer once these damn things are SILENT and CORNERING ON RAILS.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:45 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I have written to the Ford Board of Directors and courtesy copied Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center and my Dealer. If this is not resolved I will sit on the street in front of my dealer every Saturdaywith a sign that reads "BEWARE, NOISY FRONT SUSPENSION, FORD WILL NOT FIX!"
Clearly, I don't want to spend my Spring & Summer Saturdays doing this, but I did not spend $22k for this kind of poor quality.

My letter was polite, I simply asked them to confirm and expedite the TSB.
I added that owning and driving this brand new car is not enjoyable and it is very frustrating to wait for my new car to be fixed. I enclosed my service invoice, which states the 2nd quarter TSB is in the works.
I also stated that my dealer is very good and their hands are tied waiting for the TSB.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise