Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Northy, for many years I worked as a mechanic and it was common to have rotors with free play on the studs. Never heard noise on test drives and customers never complained. Not saying they shouldn't be a better fit but that was common. I like your rubberize thought, that was funny. Might actually work. As far as moving the car around, I thought right off if it had a 100,000 miles I'd say it was control arm bushings. It wouldn't surprise me that this new design lower control was at fault. Especially the cold factor and noise. Maybe you guys shaking it showed something wrong there. Whatever the final problem is, it sucks. We can all guess probably 10 different things that might make the noise. I'm leaning more toward the strut after talking to the dealershipowner. He made a lot of sense. People like you Northy that changed the upper bearing with the Steeda one should have worked if it was that. But I'm digressing again. Who the heck knows what's making the noise. All I can say for sure it was bad parts from the factory. Anyway maybe I can get more info talking to the Detroit Tech Rep Thursday, I'll see.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:40 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

no scientific method unfortunately. . . just me pulling the car sideways and my buddy in various positions around the front. i'm tellin you it's wierd! the noise is so obvious and yet so friggin elusive. . . anyways.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

I am so sorry to hear that some people are already running to the dealer looking for the TSB.
I don't get it!
As I have been saying all along, the TSB is said to be coming out 'sometime' during the 2nd quarter.
That's 3 months you guys. April, May, June.
I was originally told by the service manager that when he followed up with the Mustang guys, they said, sometime late March to Mid-April.
As soon as the TSB comes out, I will receive a call from my service manager and I will immediately post it is this thread.
In fact I just might post a whole new thread titled"MUSTANG FRONT END THUNKING TSB RELEASED!"

Northy, I haven't tried lifting my car by the fenders yet.
How did you go about finding the origin of the noise under your engine while doing that?
Just curious.

Later dudes!
Wolfey2k
Seriously, I don't mean to make waves, but I think I've kept quiet for long enough. There is no doubt in my mind that you are trying to help, but...honestly, you made the decision to wait for this TSB ages ago; why bust on the folks that don't agree with your methods? I've followed this thread since practically the beginning, and I've come to realize a couple things from your posts:

1. You need to make it clear to everyone that you are right.
2. You can't deal with the fact that not everyone is standing behind your theories, or your decision to wait for the TSB.

Personally, I am waiting on the TSB, too. Am I preaching to everyone on this thread that's been modding their suspensions to try to fix this problem? Nope. Anyone who's going to do anything major like that is going to take responsibility for what they're doing. If that means that they void their warranty, well, "dem's the brakes". I agree with northy about the varied experiences with dealerships: some are strict, and some are really cool about warranty work. To say that those experiences are not correct is just ridiculous, as plenty of people have had warranty work done on modded cars.

I applaud those of you that are sacrificing their money, time, blood, sweat, tears, and maybe warranty in the name of fixing this problem. You guys keep doing what you can and want to do; don't let this guy or anyone else bring you down. For those of you wanting to sit quietly and wait for a TSB, that's fine too! Not everyone has the ability or the finances to tear their car apart in search of a solution, but don't patronize people for dealing with their problems in a way that you don't align to.

I'm sorry if I've stirred up a turd (again), but after reading the last 3 pages...[:@]
Old 04-03-2007, 03:34 AM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

One more thing I forgot to mention. Although it may vary by Dealership, I also asked the Service manager about Mods, and how they affect the warranty. She said that Mods are OK as long as they don't cause a breakdown of another part .So, if you bring your car in because it's running rough, and it's determined that it's something other than yourafter marketcold air intake, and related parts, it's covered under warranty. Still not to sure about this, as we are at the mercy of Ford and thier corporate policys.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:00 AM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

Jay, try not to choke the Detroit Tech!!!! [sm=lol.gif] Probably just a normal person doing his/her job that's now facing this elusive thunkmonster. . . Just out of curiosity, do you think this person will go for a ride-along in your car? Do you feel comfortable printing out this thread [and ALL of it's gory detail] and presenting it to him/her? If so, there are threads on www.stangnet.com and www.allfordmustangs.com that are not as extensive as this one but are very similar in content and level of outrage. Either way, good luck with this and of course we'll be curious to see what comes of it.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I was just at the dealership again (seems like I've said that before) and made sure I was to see the Tech Rep when he comes in on Thursday. They weren't sure of the time, so another day sitting by the phone. Anywayif he wants a ride I'll take him but it is documented. There's a perfect bumpy road a mile away for him to really hear it loud. But my main purpose is to see if he has the special phone#'s to get an answer about a fix or not. Hopefully he's an honest guy that truely wants to help. Especially since I'm bringing in the owner of the dealership too on this "talk". Little surprise for all of them,. Well will see. Another words if there's a fix lets have it or tell us there isn't, one way or the other. If not I'll get back to fixing it myself,.I want to drive a quite car this season not thunk to Maine & allover. Hey if they want to say an actual TSB is coming real soon I'll wait, but I'm going on what I've been told at the dealership so far, No TSB's & Under Investagation by the Board of Directors..
Old 04-03-2007, 05:03 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Sorry Hyproman, shiz happens then you get thunked! ;-)
Thanks for the 2 cent turd though.
Somebody's gotta do it! ;-D
Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
FlyingTuna

WOW, haven't looked at this thread in a week, and it continues to drum on the same thing: WAIT FOR THE TSB!. Fortunately, my dealer has agreed to put in the brace as a warrenty svc item and bill the factory in advance of the phantom TSB. Part is on order and the install should happen in the next 10 days. The factoryis very tight lipped over the TSB, probably going to cost a bundle to issue with a $280 part and added labor for every V8 GT out there.

I did have the 2nd replacement strut and mount both replaced (right side only) at the same time, with disgusting results - louder noise. Boy, did the svc manager have a red face over that one!!

I'll do another post after the brace is installed with the results.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi Flying, Well as you've read there doesn't seem to be a diffinate fix for all the cars V6's, V8's etc. As far as struts, which I'm leaning toward now, the ones you had installed are the same ones that were installed on the cars new. I checked the part manf. dates.Assuming the struts were bad your fix proves they were bad out of the box, didn't need any miles on to wear them out.Doesn't make much sense to install the same crap as we already have on the cars. But at least your dealer is trying. Mine won't try anything being afraid they won't be reimbursed. Hopefully when I see the Detroit Tech guy Thursday, maybe I can get an up-to-date answer on the possible fix becauseI was told TSB's come out the beginning of each quarter. We'll see.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FlyingTuna

WOW, haven't looked at this thread in a week, and it continues to drum on the same thing: WAIT FOR THE TSB!. Fortunately, my dealer has agreed to put in the brace as a warrenty svc item and bill the factory in advance of the phantom TSB. Part is on order and the install should happen in the next 10 days. The factoryis very tight lipped over the TSB, probably going to cost a bundle to issue with a $280 part and added labor for every V8 GT out there.

I did have the 2nd replacement strut and mount both replaced (right side only) at the same time, with disgusting results - louder noise. Boy, did the svc manager have a red face over that one!!

I'll do another post after the brace is installed with the results.
Hey FlyingTuna!
Wow! That's friggin fantastic!
How in the world did you manage to pull that off? What exactly took place to get the service manager to bend over and risk taking it up the wazoo like that?
I mean if the TSB isn't released, the dealer has just become responsible for footing the whole cost of doing the repair and from the sound of it they are not sure it will come out.
Have they heard something from the factory perhaps they are not telling you to give them the confidence to proceed with the warranty work?
Best of luck on the repair.
I just hope that the strut mounts haven't been ruined already before you get the cross member installed for it may not make any difference or make little difference.
Thanks for your response in advance!

Wolfey2k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise