Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

God this thread appears on just about every Mustang Forum. I have an 06 GT and it did it from day 1, just like everyone describes. Only on the passenger side. The dealer has been very nice but they gave me the same story everyone else has heard. They did replace the whole front suspension. Some have said it was the vertical sway bar. See attached diagram. I has resigned to live with the problem, but will sue Ford if this issue is the cause of an accident. It is well documented. I did end up having the plastic wheel well liner replaced. It was flopping around in there, the driver side was nice and tight. I thought that might be it but it wasn't. Good news is it isn't getting worse. Since it's not a safety issue you can't expect Ford to fix it. That's my read. If a flaw won't result in a lost sale or litigation they won't bother.

[IMG]local://upfiles/46110/1AC10C9BAEFF47368A184C3297D08CCE.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2006, 04:40 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

Not the vertical sway bar link. Mine isn't even on the car. I'm buying aftermarket struts next. I had my struts replaced but with Ford struts and no fixie. Goodness this car sounds like an old clunker driving slow over small bumps!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LarryS

Not the vertical sway bar link. Mine isn't even on the car. I'm buying aftermarket struts next. I had my struts replaced but with Ford struts and no fixie. Goodness this car sounds like an old clunker driving slow over small bumps!
Yeah I know...I have sort of got used to it. Besides you don't hear it with the radio on. But why on one side and not the other? I could buy the strut bearing theory but there's no reason to believe the right strut would be any different than the left. My problem is only on the passenger side.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

My noise is on both sides. I have replaced both strut bearings and struts. I am not running a front sway bar as mentioned. I think at this point the Ford struts are the problem.
[quote]ORIGINAL: Ragnar

Yeah I know...I have sort of got used to it. Besides you don't hear it with the radio on. But why on one side and not the other? I could buy the strut bearing theory but there's no reason to believe the right strut would be any different than the left. My problem is only on the passenger side.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:37 AM
Joes06Stang

I can't get use to it even with the radio on!!!! I hit one stretch of road before going to work in the morning and usually slow down to about 25 and it sounds like sh@t. I can't believe people are not slamming Ford with this problem. The general manager of the dealer I bought from admits to reading some of the posts on this problem. With todays technology this should not happen. My wifes 04 Outlander just turned 50,000 on the origional front end and does not make a sound on any road. I can only hope Ford fixes this problem. It's a great looking vehicle that should be as quiet as any other model. At 49 years old I can remember buying a 69 Mustang in 1970 and did not have the front end noise that I have in this 2006. Only my 2 cents....and I appreciate all the feed-back

Joe
Old 12-15-2006, 02:54 PM
My05GT
1st Gear Member

Someone should put up a poll on this:

Lowered, Hearing the noise
Lowered, NOT Hearing Noise
NOT Lowered, Hearing the Noise
NOT Lowered, NOT Hearing the Noise

Maybe we could submit the info to Ford as a group?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

Is this a GT only thing? My V6 vert has stock suspension and it doesn't make a noise.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 PM
johney5

I have a GT, and had the same noise...we changed the links to the front sway bar...and that did the trick...the links we took off seemed fine, but they were 100% sure the culprits.

Oh yeah, my car had been lowered...but I decided to put it back up to original height. My mechanic thinks that is may have been the extra stress created by lowering it that screwed the links...I don't think so...in any they appear undamaged.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Joes06Stang

Mine is a stock V-6 with and the links were changed along with the struts..and still there. Have not tried the sway bar. The more I read I think they all do it. I have had people in my car that don't seem to notice it....and others do hear it. Some people might think it's normal
Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joes06Stang

Mine is a stock V-6 with and the links were changed along with the struts..and still there. Have not tried the sway bar. The more I read I think they all do it. I have had people in my car that don't seem to notice it....and others do hear it. Some people might think it's normal
Trust me, if mine did it I would notice. I can't stand any noises.

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise