Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

ORIGINAL: Ragnar

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

don't ask questions. it's easier that way. [kidding of course. i'd like to know as well]
Yeah I know...I should just be happy there's a solution. I just don't want to be haggling with Ford over whether 1 or 2 should be replaced. When it comes to anything suspension related I was always told to do it in pairs.

Mine did it on both sides. The right side only may have something to do with the slope on most road surfaces putting extra strain on the "downhill" side.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 AM
mvon919

I don't see any reason they would only replace other side...

Anyway, reading your feedback, Casper and others, I'm really surprised and happy that the new revised part cures the clunk. I can wait pick up the parts from
Ford on Monday and change them. I hate that clunking so much.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:05 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

While this thread seems to has finally gotten results I still would like to know why this issue occurs mostly on the right side. It seems most of us were saying that. I'm going to Ford next week with the part number. They already told me it would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty. Got my fingers crossed.
maybe i misunderstood, but they replace BOTH as far as i've heard. did you think they'd only replace one?

You are correct. BOTH sides are/were done. I can see some lame *** stealership trying to fix one side, in hopes you wont be back with the other one in a few weeks.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Ragnar
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

don't ask questions. it's easier that way. [kidding of course. i'd like to know as well]
Yeah I know...I should just be happy there's a solution. I just don't want to be haggling with Ford over whether 1 or 2 should be replaced. When it comes to anything suspension related I was always told to do it in pairs.
Mine did it on both sides. The right side only may have something to do with the slope on most road surfaces putting extra strain on the "downhill" side.
Great theory...never thought of that. Though I should be able to prove it by driving on the wrong side of the road...right? BTW...now that I think more about it. It happens only on the right side when I pull out of or back in to my driveway. Slope is back to front there.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acrokat

Thank you but I have already contacted him.

Please check your pm's more closely

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Bascho, acrocat needs your help with handling the dealer.
Please give him a hand.
Thanks
Wolfey2k

As the author of this thing, I'm sure the Wolfman was just trying to help a brother out.
I'm sorry, I'm just tired of this. 3 dealerships have given me the run around on this, including one who was supposed to be 'in the know'.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Lithodrone

I had some F/E issues with a VW Fox once and talked to my buddy in San Fran who's been a mech. for VW, Ford and Mopar as well and he explained it to me thusly. Most front end noises will appear to the driver to be coming from the right hand side. The reason for this is primarily an acoustic phenomenon that relates to your position in the cabin. If you could move around the cabin while you're driving (not recommended), the origin of the sound will appear to change due to the acoustic qualities of the interior. Also as stated before, the road characteristics may also come into play, but the main reason is acoustics. That's why no one ever reports the sound coming from the left. In any event, suspension components should ALWAYS be replaced on both sides so the parts will wear at an even rate. Ideally front and rear as well. This avoids the car having uneven damping/spring rates from side to side or front to rear. This is because the damping/spring rates will change as the parts wear, even if they're not defective. Speaking of defective, I replaced the steel driveline with a 4" dia. aluminum alloy one from CHE Performance. What a difference! Between 65-80mph it's 90% quieter now, no humming. The stock one weighs in at about 34lbs. The aftermarket at around 18lbs and change. A reduction in rotational mass of nearly 50%. I think it was around 520.00 with free shipping. An upgrade I think anyone would be happy with. As far as my new strut mounts go, I'm think I'm still thunk free.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Great theory...never thought of that. Though I should be able to prove it by driving on the wrong side of the road...right? BTW...now that I think more about it. It happens only on the right side when I pull out of or back in to my driveway. Slope is back to front there.

Kind of like why Nascar tires wear more on the inside or downhill side of the car. Those are the ones they change on a 2 tire pit stop.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Thank you but I have already contacted him.

Please check your pm's more closely

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

Bascho, acrocat needs your help with handling the dealer.
Please give him a hand.
Thanks
Wolfey2k

As the author of this thing, I'm sure the Wolfman was just trying to help a brother out.
I'm sorry, I'm just tired of this. 3 dealerships have given me the run around on this, including one who was supposed to be 'in the know'.

Sorry you are having dealer issues. May I suggest a cattle prod?!!! I used to work in a packing house many, many years ago and those things will make a 2000# bull **** himself. J/K but you may have to call FORD on them.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

I just got back from the dealership. Officially I have no more noise!!!

Now I have a steering wheel nibble at highway speeds I didn't have before.[:@]

No more noise, just the normal tire sounds over bumps. I love my car again!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I just got back from the dealer here in Barrie, Ontario, with my car.
Their front-end-man swapped out the top mounts for the struts and also the sway bar drop links which were also worn (car has done under 7000 km).
I didn't really think the thunking was that bad on my car, but HOLY MOLY !!! This car didn't feel this tight when it was new !

Talk about "that new car feeling"

Thumbs up to Barrie Ford on this one ! if anybody is in the area and want to know who to speak to, go for the service guy "Ozzy Osbourne" (Seriously) and the front end guy who knows all about the thunking issue and who did my car was "Derek" who is also a big Mustangnut (Got a '69).

Oh, nearly forgot, ALL on warranty

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise