Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:24 PM
theredpony

Default 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise

well i have an 07 gt coupe and im having these same problems. i got under the car and looked around and the sway bar links( haynes book calls them stablizer bar links) on the driver side is hitting the bottom of the strut. hitting so bad that there is starting to make a groove in the strut. took it to a shop i use(not a ford dealer) and they are telling me the sway bar is loose or moves. so thats getting replaced out of my pocket. i have read most of these threads about changing the upper mounts but how would that help my problem? i work on my car myself most of the time but im not fooling with suspension and all. any information would be greatly appreicated.

Last edited by theredpony; 08-16-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM
steve_c

Originally Posted by sandy
I said it before and I'll say it again. I installed tokico D-Spec struts and eibach pro-kits a couple months ago on my '06 GT, and haven't heard the noise since.
I just started getting the popping noise like in the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYc9owpBIY when i put Eibach pro kit springs on the OEM struts so i took the front wheel off and used a pry bar to move the suspension up and down and noticed the sound was coming from the top of the strut possiblt the bearings housing.
so i'm wondering if i put the tokico D-Spec struts on the noise will go away?
Are the smaller than the OEM struts?
The eibach springs seem too small for the OEM struts i didnt have to compress them and it only took a few turns to tighten them maybe there is play in the bearing cap because they are not tight enough.

Last edited by steve_c; 10-06-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 PM
steve_c

I decided to tighten the center strut bolt all the as much as i could while installed already and that cured the popping noise I only tightened it to the manufacture tourqe stripe as was said in Taco Bills writeup so that was the problem.
Thanks to taco Bill for the great writeup and pictures it really helped alot besides that little problem.

I am very happy with the car now.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

Hey I am new to the forum and have the thunk that everybody talks about in this thread. Is it only with the 2007s? I heard it was with all years. Is there a definitive fix?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

Does anybody have the link to the TacoBill torque spec fix?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:21 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07VistaChicago
It's 62Nm (42lb-ft).

BUT, you can't just tighten that nut without holding the strut rod.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:27 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

Default Fixed!

After reading through the thread, I decided to give it a shot and figure it out myself. So the first nut I tried to tighten was the main nut on the top of the strut. It was pretty loose. I didn't think that was that easy so I took off the wheel and checked all the other suspension nuts. All were tight. So I took it for a ride and thunk is all gone!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:03 PM
steve_c

Originally Posted by 07VistaChicago
Taco bills How-To install thread is in another Mustang forum sorry for the confusion.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...stable+panhard
This is the way to tighten them.

Last edited by steve_c; 10-17-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 PM
07WhiteV6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by steve_c
Taco bills How-To install thread is in another Mustang forum sorry for the confusion.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...stable+panhard
This is the way to tighten them.
After SIX COMPLETE FRONT END REBUILDS by the dealer, I still have this effin' noise! It's driving me crazy! The best part is, when you take the weight off the front end...lift...jack...etc. and just put the car back down, the noise will go away for about a week until the car settles back over the suspension. So of course, the dealer thinks they "cured" the problem...until I come back a week later.

SO...in this pic above, you are holding the strut shaft (lower wrench) and tightening the nut on top (upper wrench) to 42 ft-lb...correct? And the only way to do this is with the strut out of the car?
Old 01-22-2010, 07:16 PM
07WhiteV6
1st Gear Member

**nudge, nudge**

Quick Reply: 2007 Front Suspension Thunking Noise