Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 GT battery draw and battery dies in 2 days with car off

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 06 GT battery draw and battery dies in 2 days with car off

My dad had problem like this driving him mad.

It ended up being the glove box light that wasn't turning off when it was closed. I think we just have a trunk light. Might want to check in a dark garage.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Why is telling us you have a body kit and bogus badging on the car revellant to your dead battery story?

As far as your problem, it's the radio.
thats what i figured, same crap happen to my buddy with his gt, it took them awhile to figure it out
Old 02-16-2007, 04:36 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hello,
Sorry to hear you have a battery problem as well. I am going to post link in the A.M. as to the cause for some people's battery dying. It was explained to me by a guy from a different forum. The post contradicts itself some what but it was an explanation from a Ford engineer. Anyway take it back to the dealer and tell them to replace the battery. The Ford motorcraft one sucks from the factory. Now they may have checked the battery but what did they do? Did they test the battery under load the next day after jumping/charging? Also some found out that the alternator was at fault and they have a test for that too. If they give you shi% about re-doing this stuff I mentioned than tell them you want to give the car back or get a new one.It should not kill the battery in 2 days (even if it is cold). Now I bought a battery tender (no problems since)and use the car for show/track so I have it stored for the winter. It wasn't until it got colder than 40 degrees when I started having a problem. The CCA (cold cranking amps)on the battery really could be bigger and the battery may have sat for months before being used. I know for a fact (I am friends with the service manager at a dealership in Michigan) that these batteries die while on the lot waiting for someone to buy them. They jump it and sell the car with the options that the person wanted. If a battery dies even once it losses part of its ability to get a full charge. My bro had a Mazda RX-8 that I stored for a couple of winters and the secondwinter it started dying once a week and I would jump it to circ fluids and get to operating temp and then forget about it until the following week. It died more frequently ( was fine in the summer and spring out of storage) and this winter he had to drive the car in the winter as he doesn't have a second vehicle anymore. Well he called me up one cold afternoon and I had to jump it again. The dealer replaced the battery and the alternator and did something to the emissions (recall) and he has not had any problem since in the winter so far.(that just was an example to prove a point). Many have had there batteries replaced more than once and still have the problem. When you do take the car back tell them something is drawing current after shutdown and they need to go through each fuse and test to see if there is any amp draw from the battery when the car is off. You can do this yourself but why should you, right? They should know how to do this at the dealer and if not find a new dealer to do warranty work. It should not die in 2 days!I will post again soon J
ORIGINAL: howyhowy

Since the winter started I noticed my 2007 GT tends to not start after 2 days. I took it to the dealer and they said the battery tested OK and that the ECU in "these new cars" draws more power and thus you have to start it more often. This implies that by design I cannot park my Mustang at the airport when I go on a trip.

I am going to try checking the current draw and I will try turning the radio off now. But it sure is a pain in the **** to know that if you want to drive the mustang once a week in the winter you have to jump start it (in 7 degree weather that sucks).

How does your Mustang sound when it is having trouble starting? Mine makes a click every second and all power to the car is repeatedly turned off and on. It sounds like a master relay is killing power to everything (even the starter) when the battery is just starting to get weak. I know what the sound of clicking starter selonoid sounds like, but this is different. If you were to hold the key in START and repeatedly put your foot on and off the clitch (to release the starter safety switch) you could simulate the sound of this behaviuor. It almost seems that there is juice left in the battery and the ECU is making a decision to shut the car's electronics down every time the starter draws a current spike.

-howy
Old 02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

A month after Igot my 07 Mustang I went on a 5 day trip and got back to a dead battery. I noticed the indicator was red (was green when I bought it) and the dealer replaced the battery once they saw it weak on a load test. No problems since but I start/drive it almost every day.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:28 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Just reposting the info from stang.net.......here it is http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=671052 Read the posts from red05bullitgt....scroll down a bit and it is there with an explanation from a Ford engineer. I thin the date was 11-06. Hope this helps J
ORIGINAL: howyhowy

Since the winter started I noticed my 2007 GT tends to not start after 2 days. I took it to the dealer and they said the battery tested OK and that the ECU in "these new cars" draws more power and thus you have to start it more often. This implies that by design I cannot park my Mustang at the airport when I go on a trip.

I am going to try checking the current draw and I will try turning the radio off now. But it sure is a pain in the **** to know that if you want to drive the mustang once a week in the winter you have to jump start it (in 7 degree weather that sucks).

How does your Mustang sound when it is having trouble starting? Mine makes a click every second and all power to the car is repeatedly turned off and on. It sounds like a master relay is killing power to everything (even the starter) when the battery is just starting to get weak. I know what the sound of clicking starter selonoid sounds like, but this is different. If you were to hold the key in START and repeatedly put your foot on and off the clitch (to release the starter safety switch) you could simulate the sound of this behaviuor. It almost seems that there is juice left in the battery and the ECU is making a decision to shut the car's electronics down every time the starter draws a current spike.

-howy
Old 02-16-2007, 10:50 PM
saltzy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Just reposting the info from stang.net.......here it is http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=671052 Read the posts from red05bullitgt....scroll down a bit and it is there with an explanation from a Ford engineer. I thin the date was 11-06. Hope this helps J
I read that thread with kind of a "WTF" look on my face... Is it really likely that the Mustang is actually designed to drain the battery? I suppose I have seen stranger things be true, but this really seems out there. It almost sounds like a blow-off excuse that has enough of an air of plausibility to get the guy out of the service bay with no more questions...
Old 02-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06YellowGT

There are only two things that can discharge the battery when the vehicle is parked:

1) a drain by the vehicle i.e. a short somewhere, or a module which won't "go to sleep." If you use a meter to determine if there is a draw on the battery from the vehicle, it can take up to 30 minutes or so for every module to shut down. After 30 minutes, the battery draw should be about 0.1A.

2) a drain caused by an internal problem with the battery. When you have the battery load tested, it may test out OK, because they only test the battery fully charged, and presumably, reasonably soon after recharging. If there is a small short inside the battery, the battery may test out OK under load, and then be dead in 2 days.

Also important is that the capacity of the battery will be greatly diminished after repeatedly being discharged to the point where the vehicle will not start, meaning in the future, it will go dead much sooner then when new.

06yellowGT makes an excellentpoint about the possibility of a battery having a slight internal leakage path that wouldn't be detectedwhen the battery was load-tested. This isoften overlooked as a possible cause of battery rundown problems. I would suggest either removing the battery from the vehicle and see if it still runs down over several days or try another battery just to be sure the battery is not the actual cause of the problem.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:24 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Just reposting the info from stang.net.......here it is http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=671052 Read the posts from red05bullitgt....
Essentially, here is what red05bullitgt says:

He took his car to3 different dealerships due to the deadbattery problem. AFord field service engineer told him that the SN197has a number of sensors andmodules thatstore computer memory. These modules draw current from the battery when the vehicle is inactive. He went on to say thatif the vehicle sits for more than 10 days and the battery is not fully charged, a computer in the vehicle will measure voltage [no details given]. Ifthe computer reads less than 9 volts,it willdrain remaining voltage as some sort of fail safe protection.The engineer also say thatif you start your vehicle and only let sit at idle for 15-20 minutes, the engine speed is notenough to fully charge the battery. Therefore - according to the Ford field service engineer - a SN197 owner only has 2 options: #1 drive the vehicle at least once every 5-7 days or #2install a tender or trickle charger if the vehicle is going to sit more than a week when in storage.

Here is what I say: This is total B U L L S H I T !!!!!!!!!

Why certainly it is understandable that onboard computers / memory and sensors need amperage to retain settings, it is preposterous to think that an owner has to drive his vehicle every 5 - 7 days or the battery will go dead. This is simply double-talk for a design issue or issues that Ford will correct in the future. In the interim, it appears to be nothing other than Ford standard operating procedure: denial.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hello,
I agree with you 100%.... I too think it was a line of B.S. and the battery tender worked for me. I tried to look for amp draw (no amp draw found)as stated by prev poster on this thread and the battery did not have a internal problem from what I was told by a mechanic other than Fords. So I have had noproblems since getting the battery tender.I think if the responses were to help the people on here with this problem that would be better advise. I tried and failed that is why I originally posted this thread. As I stated earlier no car should have to be started every 7-10 days to maintain the battery. I was just giving info from my previous experience with this problem and otheres exp on a different forum as to what could be the cause of the battery drain. Later J
P.S. Just take these posts and others to the dealer and demand to have the battery replaced and each fuse tested when the car is off to see if there is significant amp draw to cause battery drain and subsequent failure and repair from there.
ORIGINAL: mail906

Just reposting the info from stang.net.......here it is http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=671052 Read the posts from red05bullitgt....

He took his car to3 different dealerships due to the deadbattery problem. AFord field service engineer told him that the SN197has a number of sensors andmodules thatstore computer memory. These modules draw current from the battery when the vehicle is inactive. He went on to say thatif the vehicle sits for more than 10 days and the battery is not fully charged, a computer in the vehicle will measure voltage [no details given]. Ifthe computer reads less than 9 volts,it willdrain remaining voltage as some sort of fail safe protection.The engineer also say thatif you start your vehicle and only let sit at idle for 15-20 minutes, the engine speed is notenough to fully charge the battery. Therefore - according to the Ford field service engineer - a SN197 owner only has 2 options: #1 drive the vehicle at least once every 5-7 days or #2install a tender or trickle charger if the vehicle is going to sit more than a week when in storage.

Why certainly it is understandable that onboard computers / memory and sensors need amperage to retain settings, it is preposterous to think that an owner has to drive his vehicle every 5 - 7 days or the battery will go dead. This is simply double-talk for a design issue or issues that Ford will correct in the future. In the interim, it appears to be nothing other than Ford standard operating procedure: denial.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:43 AM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mail906

+1 on the BS. It doesn't make sense.

Plus I've had my car parked in the garage since the beginning of November and I just checked it. Guess what - the battery is not dead! I don't have a Shaker stereo either, so who knows, maybe that is part of the problem like other folks have mentioned.

Quick Reply: 06 GT battery draw and battery dies in 2 days with car off