Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard can you push the manual,4.6 3V?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lol_vtec
Thanks guys. Makes mn feel better about my plans for my baby!
remember that 819 was a hail mary run on race gas and some good tuners behind it on a dyno.
aim for mid 400's for a reliable DD/track car
Old 04-24-2013, 05:23 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

^^^ what he said.
pretty much up to 450 you're good on the 4.6L if you don't go crazy with revs above the redline, anything above 500 is generally considered running on borrowed time.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by danzcool
Yeah, that's my car. It was shut down at 6k rpms every time, which furthers the "RPMs kill" argument. The last # was 819, and that was due to running out of fuel pressure (there were some issues with the fuel pumps and the injectors were only 60LB).
It may never have a 1/4 time, it was built for standing mile trap speed (should see WOT into 6th). Will probably do some road course on reduced boost also.

On the overlap cams, I would think that the fact that the exhaust and intake are open would also limit the positive pressure in the cylinder.
^^'Merica!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
There's a thread (with video) on S197forum where a shop tried to blow up a stock 3V before installing the customer's built motor. On twin turbos and race fuel, I think they gave up trying to blow it up on the dyno after around 8 or 9 pulls and making something ridiculous like 7-800rwhp. Your mileage may vary, but the point is, it's all in the tune.
Originally Posted by danzcool
Yeah, that's my car. It was shut down at 6k rpms every time, which furthers the "RPMs kill" argument. The last # was 819, and that was due to running out of fuel pressure (there were some issues with the fuel pumps and the injectors were only 60LB).
It may never have a 1/4 time, it was built for standing mile trap speed (should see WOT into 6th). Will probably do some road course on reduced boost also.
link- https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-part-1-a.html

great thread above and this thread is old!....

danzcool....yours maybe an exception but you prove that tuning means everything...

http://www.alternativeauto.com/Lidios_Rant.html

good article and my stang made 465RWHP with a safe tune on 93 octane with a max of 19 deg timing, 60# inj, and later added GT500 dual fuel pumps with about 11psi boost. She is still running strong today on the stock block with stock weak powdered rods etc...remember if one thing fails in the whole equation the motor can go boom!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

Hello all,

First off I'm new to this forum and just purchased my first Ford Mustang. I've had the car for a few weeks now and have already added intake and exhaust. I have many more plans for my new baby. My question is......What can I get away with, power wise, before I need to build a stronger bottom end? I have a cai new throttle body, long tube headers, x-pipe, and exhaust. I want the frpp intake manifold, hot rod cams, and frpp stage 1 heads. Beyond that I don't know what the stock block can handle. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
450 to the wheels is the general census for the stock bottom end. Anything higher than that and you're on borrowed time. A simple search should pull this up for you.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mighted1987
Anyone can enlight me up on my previous post?
Ford apparently feels that 6200 rpm is a safe enough limit for occasionally encountering it. This is most likely a fatigue limit, where Ford would have a design basis number of rev limit occurrences and engine revolutions per rev limit incident in mind.

The failure mode for the rods is tensile, but the reason that tension is developed in the rod is because the piston is undergoing tremendous negative (downward in the cylinder) acceleration as it passes through TDC. Meaning that although the piston only weighs about one pound, at 6200 rpm (and about 2500 g's) the rod thinks it weighs well over a ton.

Nothing that you do with a tune can improve the mechanical strength of the con rods or improve their fatigue life.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-25-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM
lol_vtec

Well my plans for the future include a new top end. No boost. My tuner seems to think I can get close to 400 rwhp with the new top end. Think my bottom end will survive with a little track time? ( stock revs adheared to?)
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Well my plans for the future include a new top end. No boost. My tuner seems to think I can get close to 400 rwhp with the new top end. Think my bottom end will survive with a little track time? ( stock revs adheared to?)
at stock revs, no problem at all.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:53 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

What parts are you getting for the top end?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:24 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Bump, does ford or anyone still sell the "top end package". I couldn't find on there site.

Quick Reply: How hard can you push the manual,4.6 3V?