Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ADVICE NEEDED about $250 DEALER Wax Job

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:12 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Default ADVICE NEEDED about $250 DEALER Wax Job

I would really appreciate any advice you folks could give me about whether or not to go for the extra-special wax job my Ford dealer offered me on my new 2007 Tungsten grey GT for $250.
It comes with a 5 year "unconditional" guarantee, and even though it seems like a LOT of money, I was told that it's not just a Super wax but also contains teflon- and will really protect the finish from just about anything (acid rain, bird crap, tree sap, etc.).
In fact, the ONLY things the guarantee doesn't cover are scratches, dents and stone chip damage- but aside from that it really sounds great.
Anybody out there in Stangville with personal or anecdotal experience with this...?
Thanks in advance.....!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Default RE: ADVICE NEEDED about $250 DEALER Wax Job

No way. It's $15 worth of product, that you can do better yourself. This is how dealers make their money. Don't do it.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

No way. It's $15 worth of product, that you can do better yourself. This is how dealers make their money. Don't do it.

+1
You can do much better yourself...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

$15 worth of product...?! Are you sure we're talking about the same thing (wax with teflon)- cause I asked at a detail shop if I could buy that sort of wax and do it myself, and they said no.....
Also, the dealer told me that this includes the 5 year guarantee on ANYTHING that goes bad on the finish- and if necessary even includes repainting the whole car....!

Do you know what this product is called- maybe I can try to find it on the internet........?

I went to Strauss auto supply the other day looking for regular wax and it drove me NUTS- WAY too much choice (Mother's, Turtle, Maguire's, et., etc., PASTE wax, LIQUID wax, SPRAY-ON wax- everything but the proverbial kitchen sink!).
What's more, everyone I ask has a different opiniion on what's "best" (surprise, surprise!).
H E L P.............!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

5 year guarentee means what? Means your vehicle will not have to be waxed for 5 years and will maintain the look of a waxed vehicle with only a wash? If they could guarentee that in writing and also put in writing who's opinioin constitutes whether or not it is maintaining the same shine over that period of time, shoot, I would do it just for the pure enjoyment of knowing that they would be doing all my waxing for the next 5 years.

If they cannot agree to what I just said ( in my opinion ) constitutes a 5 year wax guarentee, I would tell them to pound sand. Because we all know that all they are doing is suckering you out of $250. What good is that 5 year wax going to do 3 months from now when you decide to wax over the wax?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:37 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Don't waste your time and don't waste your money. I hope nobody else has to tell you this, just so you don't waste $250.

-Jeff
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

I see your point Hawgman, but they never told me that I wouldn't have to wax it for 5 years- just that it would seal the clearcoat and paint and protect it from just about anything (that's why that 5 year guarantee on the paint).
The guy I spoke to at a detail shop said that I could wax OVER it of course, but that at least the paint would be totally protected.....
On the other hand, I wasn't born yesterday, and have a healthy distrust of car dealers, so maybe you're right and they ARE just jerking my chain............
(DAZED & CONFUSED)
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

dude..no way. don't waste your money on that ****.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Get a copy of the guarantee and read it and then decide... but they are trying to sell you something you really don't need. Also, as soon as you try to claim something under the guarantee... they will find a reason as to why it is not covered.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:46 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you guys know what you're talking about!
I'm starting to feel like a freakin' rube from Hicksville- color my face red with Shame...;-(

Just so you folks don't think I'm a total idiot- the dealer also offered an added interior protection treatment for $150 more, but THAT set all my alarm bells off because I happen to know that leather wax costs almost nothing, and the plastic will probably outlast us all by about 20,000 years..........

(slightly less DAZED & CONFUSED)

p.s. Anyone know where I can buy this "Magical" teflon-wax stuff so I can put it on myself....?

Quick Reply: ADVICE NEEDED about $250 DEALER Wax Job