Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Power Pack Install Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:10 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default FRPP Power Pack Install Warranty Question

I just bought a brand new, 2006 Mustang GT from a famous Ford dealer in northern NJ.

Anyway, I was interested in purchasing the FRPP Power Pack, and having it installed by them. ( I am figuring thhere would be no questions if I had to use my warranty for some reason, because it is Ford parts, and a Ford dealer installing them, no questions, right?)

Keep in mind this dealer advertises as your "Mustang Headquarters". They sell Saleens, etc, and I think they are a certified SVT dealer.

Well, when I inquired in the service dept about my intentions, the one gentleman said "We don't do that kind of stuff", and looked at me as if I should have been ashamed for asking!

My question is this: I know Ford backs their own performance products (FRPP), and they don't void the warranty, but what if I have the parts installed by someone else, or if I install them myself? Would they give me any BS if I had to use the warranty, would they not honor it because of this?

I wanted to have them install the parts for this very reason, this annoyed me. I just bought my GT there, my girlfriend bought an Escape there, a friend of mine bought a Mustang there a few years back, even my father bought a Ford there 30 years ago! So much for the "Mustang Headquarters".....

Any help, insight, etc will be appreciated!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Power Pack Install Warranty Question

I would talk to them and ask. It all depends on the dealer.

By the way, just becasue it is a Ford part doesn't mean you won't have warranty hassles. My dealer told me that if I changed my gears the warranty on the rear end would be void--EVEN if I bought Ford brand gears, from them, and had them do the installation!

By the way, you might want to look around. There are better versions of many of the parts in the FRPP kits. You can get better parts for less $$$.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:38 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

By the way, just becasue it is a Ford part doesn't mean you won't have warranty hassles. My dealer told me that if I changed my gears the warranty on the rear end would be void--EVEN if I bought Ford brand gears, from them, and had them do the installation!

By the way, you might want to look around. There are better versions of many of the parts in the FRPP kits. You can get better parts for less $$$.
Wow, thats totally ridiculous!

So, I guess if I do ANY mods, Ford, or not, my warranty is out the window!!!

Why do they even write a disclaimer, "does not void warranty".....

I'm getting a local shop, "Valley Performance" in Belleville, NJ to do it anyway. Not the FRPP package, but a Steeda or Saleen CAI and tune, and FRPP mufflers.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

My dealer said the same thing. They would change out my gears, but it would void my rear end warranty. They also wanted about $800.00. All of this while they were already replacing the clutch pack under warranty.

Answer.........no thanks.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you guys went to some crappy dealerships. The dealership that I bought my car from told me that if I bought FRPP parts from them and had them installed by them they would be covered by my warranty. They also said if I decide to do other bolt-ons and start having problems, just take them off before I come in. He said even if they can tell that there were mods on the car they would still do warranty work. I'm so glad I bought from such a great dealership. I wish they were all like that.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:12 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

While I could really care less about my warrentee since short of a major catastrphy that is a true defect. I dont let anyone touch my car. A dealer by me that was supposed to sell me my car but couldent get the color I wanted. (paramus ford).

They install CAI's and tunes all the time on cars. Not just ford racing stuff either. Or at least that is what the salesperson told me. They offered to do the SCT/JLT combo for me before I even bought the car if I got it from them. The salesperson told me that as long as I dont damage the engine directly with the aftermarket stuff, we are cool. Sound good to me,as I wouldnt expect ford to fit the bill for a new motor if someone elses tune went lean.

They are an OK dealer. nothing outstanding. I dont particularly like their new car sales tactics. They play really old fashioned sales games.

Their parts department seems very good though. I have never tried their service dept, and hope to never have to.

But you may want to try them. But steer clear of their sister dealership in hackensack. yuck.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:42 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

That depends on the dealership. I got the drag and handling pack from my local dealership, no problem.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:52 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Wow, sounds like you guys know some performance friendly dealers! I was a little surprised how dealers "call their own shots" regardless of what Ford states, or advertises. I thought it was like the "good old days", get your dealer installed power options, and away you go, all from your local friendly Ford dealer......NOT!

Like I stated earlier, my local Mustang perf. shop said to skip the FRPP power pack because of the tune, and go with Steeda or Saleen CAI w/ tune, and get the FRPP mufflers if I still wanted to (I do, I rented a GT-H in Vegas, and the sound was "just right"!) So I guess that's what I'll do, and hope I don't need to ever use the warranty. 3 years goes by quick! (I'll never hit 36,000 miles under 3 years)

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-10-2006, 02:38 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yeah, you guys are right, my dealership definatley sucks.

I got a good price on the car, but their service since then has sucked.

Just like Crazyhorse posted, I took my car in for the rear-end moaning TSB. They told me the'd do the TSB no problem, but they wouldn't cut me a break on doing a gear install at the same.

I said screw it and changed it all out myself.

The other day they really annoyed me again; I tried to buy a couple of engine service tools from the parts department. They flat out refused to sell me the tools, claiming "those are for authorized Ford employees only". What a crock of ****.