Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to use Techron additive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 11:02 PM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: OK to use Techron additive?

Ford says BP ,the BP stations here use diffrent jobbers that are "suppose" to add the additives that bring it up to standard;
Even the BP managers said it probably wasnt it there.
We have a Chevron fuel depot here and Mr. BP said that was the only true "branded" gas in town.
NEVER buy gas from a guy with more rags on his head that you have in your trunk !!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:46 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: probinator

rock on you have a probe... lol off topic.

but yeah just run some high octane gas every once in awhile.
Higher Octane Fuel is not going to do anything that the normal 87 Octane fuel doesn't do. If you run a NON Top Tier fuel that does not have the additives/detergents in it running that same brand in a higher octanes is doing nothing. Octane has absolutely nothing to do with the detergents in a gasoline.

Richard
Old 12-16-2006, 01:10 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My last car was/is an OLD BMW, '78 with "mechanical" injections. My current love is my '05 Screaming Yellow GT.

From the old days of BMW, BMW used to sell Chevron's Techron as an additive. They stopped, they found out that Techron was eating the engines. There is Techron in the gas. There is cleaner/additives in all grades of fuel.

I believe in Redline Products. The BMW is 27 years old. four cylinder. The fuel lines are see through. Still can, all are original except one which I changed out due to abrasion. One injector is replaced. Somewhere around 125,000 miles ago. The rest have 262,000 miles on them. The fuel system has 262,000 miles on it, except, admittedly, the fuel pumps did get tired out sometime back.

On a '78 such as mine, there was/is a little "gate" in the fuel filler, makes like a little "cup" at the filler point. For many, many years every time I filled up the car, I would pour Redline fuel cleaner into that little "cup" and fill it before I put the nozzle in the filler. On occasion I'll take a full bottle of "Chemtool" and dump it into the tank. HOWEVER, DO NOT GET CHEMTOOL ON YOUR PAINT! YOU'LL BE REALLY PISSED AT THE RESULTS!

Since the GT does not have a little "nook" like the BMW did, I don't carry the Redline with me anymore, I give the GT a few swings before I leave on a day on which I"m going to get gas. The Redline bottle has "10 Gallon" increments on it, I'll give the GT two or three increments o those days. On my motorcycles I also give them Redline, but, they have generally a five/six gallon tank, I give them at least one incremental, likely two. Runs great!

ORIGINAL: jimSD63

Is is safe to use the Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner in my 06 GT? I've got 23,000 miles on her now and I want to try to keep the intake valves & ports clean. I know this stuff works well in other cars, what about ours? I was thinking every 3000 to 5000 miles: Dump a bottle of Techron in, fill up, drive till almost empty, finally do usual oil change.

How about it?

Old 12-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06blueovalblueGT

Ford says BP ,the BP stations here use diffrent jobbers that are "suppose" to add the additives that bring it up to standard;
We have a Chevron fuel depot here and Mr. BP said that was the only true "branded" gas in town.
NEVER buy gas from a guy with more rags on his head that you have in your trunk !!
I'd LOVE to use BP gas here in California...Only 1 problem: No BP stations. It's kinda like when Ford was pushing the E85 gas alternatives. There's *2* E85 public gas stations here in the state at the moment, and the gas there is MORE expensive than if people were to go to something like a Chevron, Mobil, Exxon, etc.

I know that when the car goes in to have a injector cleaner job done on it, the techs don't just pull the injectors and spray them with Gumout or Berryman's or whatever Ford says to use to clean 'em...Most auto mechanics will run something through the gas tank as well.

At any rate, I've had good success with the Lucas Injector/carburetor cleaner...Ran it through the '67 Jaguar after we found gummy gunk in the carbs after a rebuild (The triple SU carburetor setup now runs like a champ, and we still see gunk in the fuel filter every once in a while coming from the tank), our '74 Corvette benefitted from it, and the F150 with the supercharger (Harley Davidson edition) saw a WORLD of difference when we ran it through the tank. Haven't ever tried the Techron one, so I can't answer on that one.

I have a hard time believing that the Techron additives are going to ruin the car's engine. However, I also believe that a lot of the more common fuels out there nowadays have a lot better detergent mix in them than 20 years ago, and will do a fairly good job of keeping the fuel system clean, so it probably isn't something that needs to be done every 5000 mi. or so...

Old 12-16-2006, 12:28 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I am a rather skeptical person when it comes to additves. The Techron is actually not a bad idea. Here is my explaination:

Ford fuel senders no longer have a protective coating on the variable resistor sweep that is your fuel level sender. ALL fuel in north america right now is at its lowest quality point in years and it will likely remain that way indefinately. According to Ford engineers, if the fuel being used did not have such a high sulfur content, the coating on the resistor sweep would not be necessary. That rotten egg smell you have after beating on your car or letting it idle for a while - It is sulfur burning in the catalyst. This is NOT a normal byproduct of catalyst function, rather a byproduct of crappy, high-sulfur content fuel burning in your catalyst. The sulfur burns at a much higher temp than there is during the combustion event, it needs the 1000-1600 degree temperatures your catalyst operates at to burn. This is why you won't smell rotten eggs in a car without catalysts. The Techron is supposed to break down this sulfur and reduce the amount of deposits on the sending unit. Does it work? I think it is hit or miss. If you use more crappy fuel than you compensate for it likely wont work. However, I have seen many cases where a periodic use of Techron and use of KNOWN GOOD fuel (extremely difficult to find right? Its not like you can test a sample each time you buy it right?) help get rid of the P046x codes that set due to fuel level input discrepencies. Bottom line - I would use it every oil change to help condition the fuel that you gamble with every fillup. Octane additives are useless and actually make your plugs turn pink because they increase the octane levels of the fuel different than the stuff you pump right out of the station. If you are going to use ANY additive, I think this is likely the one that you can use without fear of nasty consequneces. Or utterly wasted $ from your pocket.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:41 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

I'd LOVE to use BP gas here in California...Only 1 problem: No BP stations. It's kinda like when Ford was pushing the E85 gas alternatives. There's *2* E85 public gas stations here in the state at the moment, and the gas there is MORE expensive than if people were to go to something like a Chevron, Mobil, Exxon, etc.

Check your local ARCO Station they are actually part of BP check there signs at the front of the station most say it right on the sign.

Richard
Old 12-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

ORIGINAL: Warlok

Absoultly DO NOT add anything to your gas tank but gas! Forget what others above tell you, the junk your talking about putting in your tank will give you more grief than you could believe even while its happining. If you have an old car toss it in there.
Sorry but you are incorrect and that is bad advice. You are misinformed for certain.

Richard
Well Richard, Im sorry too, but just call your dealer and ask. Then decide if its bad advise. I wont bore you with my qualifications.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06blueovalblueGT

Man talk about good advise! lol !!!!!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:03 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Well Richard, Im sorry too, but just call your dealer and ask. Then decide if its bad advise. I wont bore you with my qualifications.
Call my dealer for advise on Techron yeah that's going to be great. So since Chevron gas has Techron in it I guess i should not run that gas in my car either and the dealer will also tell me this?? Mostare clueless to this kind of info but some do have enough sense to understand that it is good and certainly will not harm anything. The additive they sell are most likely the same stuff and possibly even an inferior brand. Just like they tell us to Run BP Gas. Yeah so because they are a dealership they automatically have all the right answers. Interesting. Well i will not bother you with my 20 plus years in the industry worth of qualifications either.

By the way here is a link to a thread here, go read it and scroll down to the 6th post and read what his dealer told him. See some do know what they are talking about. And maybe i do as well.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2412205/tm.htm

Richard
Old 12-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

Call my dealer for advise on Techron yeah that's going to be great. So since Chevron gas has Techron in it I guess i should not run that gas in my car either and the dealer will also tell me this?? Mostare clueless to this kind of info but some do have enough sense to understand that it is good and certainly will not harm anything. The additive they sell are most likely the same stuff and possibly even an inferior brand. Just like they tell us to Run BP Gas. Yeah so because they are a dealership they automatically have all the right answers. Interesting. Well i will not bother you with my 20 plus years in the industry worth of qualifications either.

By the way here is a link to a thread here, go read it and scroll down to the 6th post and read what his dealer told him. See some do know what they are talking about. And maybe i do as well.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2412205/tm.htm

Richard
Your wrong, I dont care what you present as "proof" and 20 years in any business sure as hell doesnt make any one an expert including my self. The poor guy who started this thread just wanted to know if the additive was a good idea. I can only suggest to him that HE contact any dealer he thinks is reputable and simply ask. Or open his manual, and read what it says. And even if nothing bad happaned to his car, nothing good will happan for sure.

And you DONT know what your talking about your blowing air and making noise's. Take a big swig of Techron, it will fix you right up!

Quick Reply: OK to use Techron additive?