Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to use Techron additive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:49 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: OK to use Techron additive?

Ill save him the time of calling a dealer and again say its ok. When my field engine comes to my dealership (to look at a car with a fuel guage concern) the first thing he'll ask is if I already added the fuel additive. Then He will add a bottle and go from there. I use a bottle with every fuel filter change on my Focus and at 100k not a problem.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:11 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Warlok

Your wrong, I dont care what you present as "proof" and 20 years in any business sure as hell doesnt make any one an expert including my self. The poor guy who started this thread just wanted to know if the additive was a good idea. I can only suggest to him that HE contact any dealer he thinks is reputable and simply ask. Or open his manual, and read what it says. And even if nothing bad happaned to his car, nothing good will happan for sure.

And you DONT know what your talking about your blowing air and making noise's. Take a big swig of Techron, it will fix you right up!

Well you are correct about one thing and one thing only. Having 20 Plus years in the business does not by any means make me an expert but i sure do know i have learned many things and Techron is not bad for the car PERIOD!! And i do in fact know what I'm talking about. Did you happen to go read the thread i posted and see what the DEALER told the guy to do. So i guess that dealer doesnt know anything either and you again know more than them or i and the others that are saying it is ok to use Techron.

Again i suggest the use of a Top Tier fuels and then additives should not be needed but it certainly will not hurt his car whichs what he asked.

Richard
Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GT4RAD

ORIGINAL: Warlok

Your wrong, I dont care what you present as "proof" and 20 years in any business sure as hell doesnt make any one an expert including my self. The poor guy who started this thread just wanted to know if the additive was a good idea. I can only suggest to him that HE contact any dealer he thinks is reputable and simply ask. Or open his manual, and read what it says. And even if nothing bad happaned to his car, nothing good will happan for sure.

And you DONT know what your talking about your blowing air and making noise's. Take a big swig of Techron, it will fix you right up!

Well you are correct about one thing and one thing only. Having 20 Plus years in the business does not by any means make me an expert but i sure do know i have learned many things and Techron is not bad for the car PERIOD!! And i do in fact know what I'm talking about. Did you happen to go read the thread i posted and see what the DEALER told the guy to do. So i guess that dealer doesnt know anything either and you again know more than them or i and the others that are saying it is ok to use Techron.

Again i suggest the use of a Top Tier fuels and then additives should not be needed but it certainly will not hurt his car whichs what he asked.

Richard
well, I am the one who started the other thread that someone responded to about my car throwing an engine code..the on that this one was linked to .it was showing as if the fuel was empty when it was full then threw a DTE FLI Data error code and a check engine light. when going to Brandon ford on Saturday, they could not fix the car yet, but did ask me where do I buy my gas and i will tell you all....80% of the time it is Chevron 93 (w techron) the other 20% it is either 93 BP or 1 time in the past week in fact my fillup right before this code was at Mobil 93 octane....the dealer said he will look at tomorrow....however it has been suggested by 2 Brandon ford service advisors that it is probably sulfur buildup caused by inferior fuel....he just did not tell me when I had bought it to cause this....one of them suggested to use techron....I will find out the official culprit and solution tommorow morning..until then continue your argument....this guy on this thread questioned whether or not to use TECHRON....2 dealers (brandon Ford 6 th largest ford dealer and #1 roush dealer in the us and Freedom Ford saleen dealer) both stated for the record it is NOT harmsul for your vehicle and could be used.....they also recoomended buyin fuel from a reputable source but consideing most bid on their fuel and get allot from the same source here in Fla...they said it would be advisable to use at least at every other oil change.....hmmm I guess they were wrong also warlok
Old 12-17-2006, 11:46 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Aside from people who supposedly swear by their additives, I have never read nor heard any proof ANYWHERE that any of these fuel or oil additives do anything but separate the purchasers from their money. Though I would suspect that most are harmless, auto maufacturers, consumer reports (no I won't go try to find the article) and just about any reputable test report will tell you that they are a waste of money. They are gimmicks. If they really did anything, these business should be cleaning up... Instead, they are shrinking, consolidating, or just plain selling out.

Detergent gasoline will do anything that everything that anything running through your fuel system should do. High Octane won't matter...it's the detergents.

Just my opinion...no I do not want to join the fray regarding who's the better expert.....
Old 12-17-2006, 11:47 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=exactly.gif]
Old 12-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

use sea foam....stuff is crazy []
Old 12-18-2006, 12:32 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

just returned from the dealer and he advised me that it indeed was s ulfur buildup issue. he stated it is due to the cheap gas ....I advised I normally buy from Chevron but have bought from BP and most recently Mobil...he advised to ADD TECHRON....as someone explained here the Senders do not have the coating as other vehicles and it is a common ford problem... I am supposed to run the car with techron and see if that works, I will advise.....I also learned that the only true branded gas who own tankers in my area are Citgo, Chevron / Texaco and SOME BP's due to their affiliation with Texaco (owned by Chevron)...the rest bid on whatever is left....so Mobil make produce a great synthetic oil,,,,but according to service tech and others...they produce sh**TY fuel.....chevron 93 for now for me....I will continue to advise.....but Techron it is
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

Aside from people who supposedly swear by their additives, I have never read nor heard any proof ANYWHERE that any of these fuel or oil additives do anything but separate the purchasers from their money. Though I would suspect that most are harmless, auto maufacturers, consumer reports (no I won't go try to find the article) and just about any reputable test report will tell you that they are a waste of money. They are gimmicks. If they really did anything, these business should be cleaning up... Instead, they are shrinking, consolidating, or just plain selling out.

Detergent gasoline will do anything that everything that anything running through your fuel system should do. High Octane won't matter...it's the detergents.

Just my opinion...no I do not want to join the fray regarding who's the better expert.....

While i agree with this overall.

I still say it does not apply to the Techron. The Techron is one of the detergents that Chevron adds to their gasoline whch is why i recommend it. It is very good stuff the only other additve i wouold suggest wouold be the Redline Brand. The rest of the oil additives and fuel additives are worthless.

Richard
Old 12-18-2006, 01:29 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I don't want to toot my own horn here guys, but....... I TOLD YOU SO! Granted there are people in this thread that wouldn't believe a dealer if they told them that water is wet, but working for Ford and being paid to diagnose issues like this typically allows me to be accurate in suggestions for resolution. Cheap part + crappy fuel all over the place = strange issues that are hard to fix. My best advice - use a fuel detergent (Techron is known to work, so why experiment with other crap) to combat the contents of crappy fuel that you have no way of testing. Better safe than sorry and if you have a method of testing fuel before you buy it - PLEASE let me know so I can pass it along! LOL
Old 12-20-2006, 03:40 PM
jimSD63
1st Gear Member

Sounds like I started a good thread.

Quick Reply: OK to use Techron additive?