Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drift School

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 10:45 PM
mdlesk
3rd Gear Member

Default Drift School

My brother has a 95 Viper and I have an 05 Mustang and we were looking to learn how to drift. We live in OH and were looking for a school to learn how to drift. The school can be in another state. We are just looking for one. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:06 PM
MilehighGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Drift School

Since you don't care about the state, http://driftday.com/or http://www.bondurant.com/offers classes too.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:20 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

I was told Bondurant was going to be starting a Drifting class they are in my favorite place in the world Arizona =), Ivor Wigham has a nice Rally school in Florida which will teach you how to control a 2wd or 4wd car on dirt which will help you out quite a bit. I think Driving Concepts has a program for drifting also they do courses at Willow Springs, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and CMS.

I do not know the links to their sites off hand but if you search google I am sure you will find them. Hope this helps =P
Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Bondurant's perhaps one of the best ones out there, from what I've seen.

Speed Channel did a show on them a while back, and it was pretty awesome the stuff that they showed you learning. They explain about slip, suspension settings, tire grip, throttle steering, and proper e-brake control (although, some drift purists state that you should be able to drift without using an e-brake EVER).
Old 01-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

if you want to learn how to drift, i HIGHLY suggest you get a hachi roku or s13.

cheap, FR, lightweight, irs, 5 speed.

alls you need is suspension and brakes, maybe a couple bolt ons?

but tires/wheels and suspension(and lsd) are the biggest things you need when drifting, like keiichi tsycuhia once said obtaining drifting through pure power is not the way it was meant to be.

i also suggest you get the drift bible, its by keiichi tsyuchia and he explains many techniques in alot of different cars.

i practiced drifting around a pole in a parking lot for a while with my S13
Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Speed Channel did a show on them a while back, and it was pretty awesome the stuff that they showed you learning. They explain about slip, suspension settings, tire grip, throttle steering, and proper e-brake control (although, some drift purists state that you should be able to drift without using an e-brake EVER).

yeah, although sometimes use of the ebrake helps initiate and/or control the drift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5vK5ZKN4n4

thats how driftings done ^

s13 for the win!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:00 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kaldar142

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

yeah, although sometimes use of the ebrake helps initiate and/or control the drift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5vK5ZKN4n4

thats how driftings done ^

s13 for the win!
I FULLY agree with you about initiating & controlling the drift...I just keep hearing the whining from the drift "snobs" about how it's not the way that you do things. WHATEVER!!!

And as an FYI, Mustangs, when set up properly, make EXCELLENT drift vehicles. I was at Barrett-Jackson in Jan of 2006, and saw an '05 Mustang that was doing some drifts that seemed like they were maybe an inch from the concrete barriers...Same with a Focus that was converted to RWD. It was awe inspiring, but at the same time, I'd probably never drift my Mustang (at least, not intentionally)...
Old 01-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

no doubt about a drifting mustang , but like i said get a cheap ae86 (hachi roku) or s13 (s14 if you want) if you want to start drifting, you WILL hit something, you WILL go off road and you WILL mess up your car... why mess up a brand new mustang when you can have a cheap alternative with a car to learn in that youre not so afriad to mess up?

for an s13 drift car just get a decent LSD (tomei, kaaz), some coilovers, such as stance, sway bars such as tanabe or suspension technique, replace the bushings (old 90s car...) with poly urethane, perferably a full bushing kit ($130, makes a whole world of a difference) and some strut bars.

make sure to get a 91+ s13, dohc ka24 engine, just get minor bolt ons such as catback/testpipe and intake.

you'll need more supportive seats also, possibly a short shifter and steering wheel also.

not to mention some decently sized wheels/tires, with all that you will have one hell of a car setup for drifting and still be pretty darn cheap for what it is. (under 10 grand by a long shot)

Old 01-01-2007, 03:18 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I totally respect drifting in a way .... it takes quite a talented driver to do such a skilll .... but a mustang really does not strike me as a drift car
Old 01-01-2007, 10:06 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Saw a drift race on Speed, the winner was a guy in an 05 Mustang, he beat the Japs with their 350zs etc...

Quick Reply: Drift School