Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

moosestang - I think you may be right, for my leak anyway. My car didn't leak until over 20K miles, and it leaked from high up under the dash (there was water way up above the sjb). If you look at the location of that clip, it's right above the whole sjb area, and right above where mine leaked. Couple weeks ago, I took off the passenger wiper cowl, and noticed that this clip was lifted up on one side. I thought maybe I had lifted it up by accident when removing the cowl, but as you mentioned these clips aren't that easy to pop up - I needed a flat head screwdriver as you mentioned. And if itIS possible to lift this clip accidently, then it's possible I lifted it by accident a few months ago when I changed out my cabin air filter. That would explain why I didn't notice the leak before then, even though I had been through several hard rains.

Thanks for your post. I'm gonna seal that clip as you did and see what happens. I think first I'll take off the cowl and aim a garden hose at that clip (lift it up first) and see if it leaks in the car. Don't know when I'll get around to it, but I'll post an update when I do.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:33 PM
oh6ponygirl
1st Gear Member

Sealing off the clips solved my aquatic problem. I think those blaming the wire bundles are being decieved by the construction of the right side door pillar area. If you pop off the last clip closest to the pass side and look inside the clip hole with a flashlight you will see that it leads down in the cavity between the door jam area and the wall the SJB is mounted on. There appears to bea hollow space between the 2. So when the water leaks in through the clippy hole it hits the wire bundle and runs down the bundle making it looklike the bundle grommet(s) are leaking. Although I honestly don't know how the leaking clips are letting enough water in for those with the full blown pond syndrome. I only hada few water dropletsand slight dampness. The clip/foam set up is very poor. The sealing capability of the foam depends on the tension of the clips. Some of mine were tight, others weren't. When I popped them all out some had water trapped underneath the foam and the car hadn't seen water in over a week.The simple act of popping off the cover even onceto change the cabin air filter disturbs everything enough to render the foam washer useless.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:14 PM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

DAMN! After a torrential downpour last night, this morning I realized the pass. floor was wet.... I have "the leak"

Dealership tomorrow....their "leak guy" works on mondays and thursdays. Not really sure what that means, lol.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Hmmm, I found one of those clips in my drivers sidecowl drain
when I was checking the drain for any blockage. Wonder if it
is an extra or one that got out of place when the cowl cover
went on from the assembly plant.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:51 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Funny this thread came up. I've long heard about the leak issue, but I was ok until yesterday, 4-1-08 There was very light rain here in NJ, nothing to speak of, (although it was windy) and I noticed my red floor mat on the passenger side had a dark spot on it. I felt it, sure enough it was wet!

I've owned my 2006 GT since 11-11-06 when I bought it new, and I now have 16,400 miles on it. Its not garaged ever, seen alot of rain, including 2 winters outside, and some torrential downpours, and its been driven in the rain quite a few times. I thought I was safe until now! This sucks, because my last car, a 2000 Corvette hardtop had the same problem, and that was one of the issues I had with it that caused me to get rid of it!!!

I will check that foam piece out and see what happens, my last resort will be the dealer. Thanks for the info, guys.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

I really dont feel like disassembling the car after having it for a month. So she's going to the dealer. I'm printing a copy of the TSB and taking it with me.

Any other suggestions for visit #1??
Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Jbrandt22
1st Gear Member

Is there any Recalls etc. relating to this? Would this be covered under warranty, or would I expect to pay some money if this leak should occur on my car? Mines still well under the warranty mark, so since its a factory defect, I should be covered. I'm thinking of possibly going to the ford dealership and telling them my car all of the sudden leaked, so they can fix this problem before it starts..
Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 PM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

It's covered under warranty. I had it too and it was fixed in one trip. been bone dry ever since.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maniacmikey

It's covered under warranty. I had it too and it was fixed in one trip. been bone dry ever since.
So what did they do for your car, seal the clips?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:40 PM
kcstangin

I have posted on previous water leak issues on this forum in the past. It is interesting that this issue has come up again. My 06 mustang was leaking since day 1. I first reported the issue at 3K miles and after 8+ trips to the dealer and over 45+ days in the shop and 30,000 miles, I lemon lawed the thing. I won my arbitration case with Ford, they tried to blame the leaking on my "aftermarket stereo install". The arbitrator saw right through that smoke screen.

The awarded me a replacement vehicle and I chose a Fusion. After reading these issues again, I am sure glad I made that choice instead of getting other mustang. No matter how many times they "fixed" the problem with new seals, grommets, clips, sealants, etc, the problem just kept coming back.

I caution everyone here with the leak, it can be a very difficult to diagnose and fix, sometimes it seems like its patched, and 8,000 miles and many rainshowers later it shows up again.

Quick Reply: 2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!