Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 A-arms; BMR or stock with steeda x11's & bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Hans_Gruber

Default 2013 A-arms; BMR or stock with steeda x11's & bushings?

Hi everyone! First post here

I'm planning on a mod build on a 2013 GT. It's a long project and I've done a fair bit of research...thought I'd ask your opinions before I start.

Question regarding front A-arms, I've basically got 3 options:

1. BMR non-adjustable a-arms, raised balljoints, delrin & poly bushings, $460

2. Stock a-arms,
add steeda X11 balljoints, $160
add Steeda Prothane Front Lower Control Arm bushings, Rear, part 097-6-220, $200)
add Steeda Prothane Front Lower Control Arm bushings, part 097-6-218, $40

total cost $400

3. GT500 a-arms with raised balljoint (possibly better bushings than stock?), $350

Now, which one you'd recommend? The car's goal is to be a DD with some track days in mind, so it should steer & handle sharply but with no significant increase in NVH (plan to reduce that with some sound insulation from sound deadener showdown). Minimal drag racing, some autocrossing, more road racing. So the goal is to have something closer to a 911 GT3 than an all-over-the place muscle car.

I sort of like the BMR's, all in one package, but I'm concerned with the possible nvh from the delrin bushing. Stock arm with steeda parts would probably be fine, but somehow "messy". GT500 arms would probably need some modding too.

(I know, I should call Sam Strano, and at one point I will. I just want to have everything (inc. funds) ready by then, to show I'm going to purchase a lot from him and not just get free advice).

(the list for other planned mods is long... with Koni yellows, steeda sports, MM plates, fays2 watts link, strano sways & endlinks, steeda UCA % LCA's, steeda bumpsteer, brembo or wilwood brakes & kenny brown cooling ducts, goodridge ss brake lines, steeda cai & bama tune, forgestar cf5 18" wheels & nitto invo 275 tires, boss side exhaust with electric cutouts, gt500 axlebacks, mgw shifter, jhr clutch line, che k-member brace with torque limiters, steeda red engine mounts, dss alum DS, che DS front loop, detroit truetrac, steeda diff cover, bmr boxed SFC's, csf radiator, boss oil cooler, SR STB, etc....)
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

I would probably go with the BMR's in yopur case. They are 60 bucks more and they save like 10 pounds over the stockers? I really dont think the noise is going to be any worse than what the Steeda's bushings you do. And if you are actually racing why are you worried about NVH?
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Hans_Gruber

So the BMR is similar in noise compared to the steeda/prothane ones? Was just wondering that the rear is delrin in the bmr, urethane on the steeda.

Yeah the weight save is definitely a plus. Was a bit concerned on the durability of the BMRs, but they seem pretty sturdy, and a think the 2011+ versions are up to the task (meaning that potential structural weaknesses probably have been engineered out).

NVH is a concern since the car will have to behave in street driving as well, since that's what it'll mostly do. Occasional track day/road race yes (I'll have to see how excited I'm gonna get on that). Sort of looking for a good medium between a track-focused car and a reasonably comfortable DD.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:53 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hello Hans,

PM your email address and your budget/goals and we can put a package together for you that will accomplish your goals. Sam is a valuable asset as well.

Best Regards,

TJ

Here is a very affordable set up that we can do with great results.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Hans_Gruber

Thanks TJ, PM sent!
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Reply sent!!