Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

Old 01-09-2007, 02:47 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default 2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

Hi,

I am one of the selected few owners that have noticed a puddle of water or wet area on the passenger side front floor area of my new Mustang. I have been in a couple other forums to find out, that I'm not alone. The problem is the dealers can't seem to fix it on any of the cars that show this problem.

My vehicle was sent to an outside body/trim shop in the Detroit metro area, that specializes in water type leaks. They have not seen it before in a 2005-up Mustang, but have seen it on other Fords in recent years. Here is the fix, this may save you much time and money.

The leak is from a inproperly sealed seam between the A-pillar/bodyside and the cowl/firewall. Some of you may not understand this, but show this email to your local Ford dealer if you experience this problem. My vehicle seam was sealed, but not correctly at the factory. The outside source after removing the passenger side front fender was able to expose the complete problemed area. The dealer had sealed this seam before, but only what they could see of it. To really fix the leak, you must re-seal the entire seam. My vehicle has been fixed, and the carpet pad replaced to avoid any mildue or odors in the future.

This problem has led to electrical gremlins and all sots of problems that become untraceable. Do yourself a favor and watch your interior after a hard rain, your car may be doing it and you don't even know. Watch for moisture on the inside of windows and such. One person whom I spoke with in another forum, could not get his car fixed at the dealer no matter how many times they tried to fix it. He also had one other problem, nobody would take the car in on trade because of the mildue smell and fear of a water damaged vehcile. He can't sell it of trade it in, and has contacted the Better Business Bureau.

I hope this helps!
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 PM
GT427
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!

Yep, that's what the dealer did to mine too. Replaced and properly sealed the bottom window molding.
They removed the hood and passenger fender to see what was going on. While they were in there, they saw the door seal, next to the fender side, was not making full contact. SO they replaced and seal that too. I didn't get new carpet pad, they just pulled my out and let it dry in the shop over the weekend. Water gone. I never had the smell. I caught it early because of this forum.

Now my driver side window is leaking, just a tiny drip, but it's still doing it. I have to take it in next week for that one.

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, I had no idea that this happens with these cars...guess I'll pay attention to that, and see if it happens/has happened to mine...
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if someone does a home repair on this, please take a pic of this
area and post it in this thread.

"The leak is from a inproperly sealed seam between the A-pillar/bodyside and the cowl/firewall"
Old 01-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Juntech
3rd Gear Member

THis is a well known issue. Please see this link, and continue to add to it. If you haven't done so Bascho is a Ford Rep who is collecting data about this problem and would help if you contributed the Vin #.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2076816/tm.htm

Also, please vote

https://mustangforums.com/m_2513273/tm.htm
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

The leak is from a inproperly sealed seam between the A-pillar/bodyside and the cowl/firewall. Some of you may not understand this, but show this email to your local Ford dealer if you experience this problem. My vehicle seam was sealed, but not correctly at the factory. The outside source after removing the passenger side front fender was able to expose the complete problemed area. The dealer had sealed this seam before, but only what they could see of it. To really fix the leak, you must re-seal the entire seam.
Could someone post a photo of this area / seam or somehow put a [factory] schematicor drawing of it here so we can all understand it better. This seems to be a serious - and fairly common - problem with the 05/06/07 vehicles, and even for someone like myself who has been following this issue closely, it is hard to really understand where the problem seam is without some form of visual.

Can Bascho or some other Ford rep / engineer help us out with this?

Also - for all of those with apassenger side leak, it does not appear that the leak can be completely nullified if you or your dealer has not removed the passenger side front fender [to get at the entire seam]. Is this correct?
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
bocephus85

I have experienced the same thing 5 times now, and a guy that I work with has had it happen to him twice. While I was on vacation, my girlfriend and I went out to dinner with a couple of friends of ours and we took their vehicle. While we were gone it rained pretty hard. When we got back to the condo, there was about 1 1/2" of water in the floorboard on the passenger side. The dealer has sealed the wiper cowl and has replaced the door seals, but they haven't resealed this A-panel. I don't know about other states, but WV has a lemon law, and I'm looling into filing. I haven't yet experienced the electrical problems, but you can see a white "film" on my fuses from that fuse block. I love my car, but I just don't know if I can trust it after all of this. I also have bought a body kit from Cervini's to put on my car, but I've been waiting to see if we get this leak fixed. This is my first Mustang, and all the guys that I work with are giving me a hard time over it. They keep telling me to buy a Chevrolet, but I usually reply that they don't make a muscle car.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:40 AM
CLASHCRAFT

My 2005convertible also had this problem. I just happened to be driving in a down pour when my fuse box got wet and set every alarm on the thing off andkilledthe enginewhile on the expressway!
Needless to say the service department at the Ford Dealership had no idea what could have done that but insisted that my less than 2 year old vehicle had a molding loose that must have caused water to get into the floorboard or better yet the top wasn't tight enough. Needless to say that was not the problem but several hundred dollars were paid becasue as we all know a molding is not covered under warranty!
The very next week I had to take it back for water in the floorboard again. I took with me all the internet research about the seam leaking and they refused to believe this was the problem and stood by the leaky window theory. When I went to pick the car up they told me they sealed the underside and it was good but "don't go through the automatic carwash." I haven't had any more problems so I guess they sealed the leaky seams correctly or I hope they did because I am so ready to call it a lemon and move on.
I love my 2005 model but I have never had a problem withmy 1994 model (well except that whole head gasket issue).
Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Check your window sticker and see if you got the
underdash water dispenser option. It was no extra charge for me.

Mine seems to be leaking at the seam on the passengers side.
Or under the cowl panels below the windshield. No driving in
the rain for me and carwashes are out of the question.
We can send a man to the moon but......
Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
nightstalker6118

ORIGINAL: 157db

We can send a man to the moon but......
Thank God Ford was not responsible for seeing that through.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005/2006/2007 Mustang Water Leaks!