Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I widened a set of Fan Blades

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 01:38 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

Default RE: So I widened a set of Fan Blades

I have a set of 1" spacers coming to take a look at to see how they look. I want to make sure I can live with the spacers on the car BEFORE I bolt on the shelby brakes.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:54 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

I like the sound of that! I might have to get them to make my rear rims DD and 10" wide soon!
Old 01-15-2007, 06:29 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

I emailed Weldcraft about widening the 18" bullits, here's the response?

[/align]Your two choices are widening to the inside or to the outside [deep dish look].[/align]If you have them widened to the outside you need to have them refinished after we are done with them.[/align]So more money to have them widened to the front.[/align]The cost to widen them to the inside would be $200.00 per wheel.[/align]The cost to widen them to the outside with sanding down the weld beads would be $325.00 per wheel. [ they would then need to be refinished][/align]The turn around time is two weeks.[/align][/align]I don't know the cost of having them refinished after they do the outside widening, I assume that means having them polished and clear coated. I emailed back for pics and confirmation of the refinishing. Will post If I get any pics.[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]
Old 01-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Ghettobooty
2nd Gear Member

wow, they can add a deep dish look? i wonder if it would look odd. pics would be great. i've never heard of anyone adding extra lip or dish to a wheel.

what do you guys think of adding lip to the fanblades? maybe i should just get the konig beyonds.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:26 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clearym

So, my math was dead on. I got the widened wheels back from the tire shop with the 285/40/18 tires on there and did a test fit. I nearly freaked out at first because there was only about 1/4" clearance which I figured would rub under hard cornering. However, when I dropped the car from the jack, it fit perfect. There is 3/4" clearance at the narrowest point (shocks). This clearance will increase (due to the shocks angle) when I lower the car in a couple weeks. That's when I'll put the new wheels arrangement on for good.

Sorry I don't have a digital camera to take pictures but, I guess I'll join the 21st century and buy one so you guys don't keep shredding me about the lack of picks. I'll post some pics soon.

For those that are skeptical about this mod, don't be. Someone commented on the structural integrity of the widening but, it is the finest workmanship.

I thinksomebody else wasconfused between backspace and offset. The stock fan blades have a 45mm offset and offset is measured from the centerline to to stud seat. By widening this wheel (entirely on the inboard side) 1 inch (25.4 mm) you only increase the offset byhalf that which is 1/2 inch(12.7mm). So my widened rear wheels are 18x9.5 with a 57.8mm offset and a 7.295 inch backspace. This should not effect integrity because these things have a huge safety factor built in anyway.

Someone told my that these wheels stock are a 50mm offset which I don't think is correct but, even if it is then the new offset is 62.7mm. It still fits well because as I mentioned above, I bolted them on for a test fit already. It looks way better than stock and will hook up like a mof.

I can't wait until I complete the suspension. The only thing that would keep me from doing so is my fiance. She's about to break our engagement or shoot me for spending so much time, research, money and energy on my car and not enough planning the wedding. However, when I pull away from the wedding spot (with those soda cans attached to the back) and lay some tracks doing a 1/4 tank burnout I'll probably be getting a divorce anyway.

I wasincorrect in my statement(you are correct at 1/2" 12.7mm offset incr); they are 50mm so 62.7; which is no problem.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

I would like to see some pictures of the wheel spacers if anyonw has them......
Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

This was a good thread, Im still waiting for the pics a year later

Old 01-01-2008, 11:30 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

I would love to see that too, LOL.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 AM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

I did a lot of work to the car last year. Still debating on the wheels/tires though.

I decided after doing all the research that widening the stock polished bullets wasn't the way I wanted to go. Instead, I decided to keep the stock KDWS 235's for the 'off season' and buy a set of these:

for summer with BFG KDW2's in the front and BFG DRs in the back.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

I'm glad someone dug up this thread. I've actually been considering narrowing my fronts to about 5 inches.

Quick Reply: So I widened a set of Fan Blades