Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction Control Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:04 PM
fam

Default Traction Control Help

If anyone has some time, help me out.

I owned a 96 v6 and a 2000 v6, neither had abs or traction control. In kentucky when I owned the 96 it wasnt too bad as winters were more mild, then after getting the 2000 I moved to Toledo Ohio. I was always loading the rear with roughly 350-400 lbs of concrete bags to help me get traction. Take offs were always tougher than they should have been and once ona Highway I got to do a nice 360 after my right rear spun faster than the other wheels :-(

I miss the mustang, the rwd, and Im wondering if the traction control is any bit decent in snowy environments. I know its not stability control (the new 300s are amazing in the snow like you wouldnt believe), but ive read the new rear axel is a bit better for traction. Basically I traded in my mustang for a mazda3 when the wife got pregnant, but now the kid is almost 2 and I realize I never drive the kid around much at all, and a 2 door would be fine and I could get my ***** back....so, please give me your opinions,,,,especially if youve owned a 94-04 and now have a new one to compare it too. Thanks guys.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Traction Control Help

while i cant comment on snow, or the differences between the new stangs and the ones you have owned..... i will say the traction control works well from what i have seen. you cant break the tires loose without the car correcting itself instantly.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:56 PM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

i drove mine in the snow the other day. takeoffs were fine and i even tested the traction control(once the tires started spinning they immediately stopped). the only trouble i had was slowing down as i would slide every once in awhile.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:02 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

TCS is great in the rain and so so in the snow. Need to have it off going up hills as it will cut power while you're trying to get traction...then you get stuck in the middle of the hill. On flat roads it works o.k., but remember you have a 1.5 ton car that when it wants to start sliding, it's not easy to get straight again. That being said, I drove mine all last winter here in Germany. Where I was living had very curvy and hilly roads and I didn't have a single problem (except for the TCS going up a hill once...learned my leason). Just remember, with this much power, start off in 2nd gear and you'll be fine. 2nd gear is your friend and 1st is not.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:29 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

did any of u put weight in ur trunk? i have 50lbs and dont feel like making the car carry more and damage it
Old 01-20-2007, 06:39 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: edgespeeder06

did any of u put weight in ur trunk? i have 50lbs and dont feel like making the car carry more and damage it
Oops, forgot that part. I put four 20lb bags of kitty litter in the trunk. Hasn't snowed here this year, so I forgot about that.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

thats not bad, i might go up to 100 but not more
Old 01-20-2007, 08:04 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Made the mistake of driving mine in the snow one time. Good thing she's not my everyday driver. The stock Goodrich T/A radials she has are very poor on snow and ice. If I had to drive her everyday I would be putting on snow tires in the winter. The traction control does'nt work when both rear tires are spinning at the same speed. So sideways sliding was what I was doing, taking off in second very slowly helped a little, but not much. I almost ate the side of a garbage truck in the lane next to me. The T/A radials are awesome on dry pavement, they grip very well.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:17 PM
fam

I put 300 in the trunk daily during winter months for 4 years on a v6 and it never messed up the suspension (its only the equivalent of a fat man hiding in your trunk).

Im not worriedso much about sliding as I know how to drive in the snow and prebreak etc, and unlike Ky, OH is a no hill\mountain zone so its all flat and straight roads. Sounds like I may get me another stang after all with your good news.Ideally id like to hear what people in Michigan say, as thats hell in the winter.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:38 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

so on an 05 v6 i should put like 150lbs?

Quick Reply: Traction Control Help