Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) located?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:54 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Where is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) located?

Where is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) located? In the rims? On the Owner Manual, it says "If your vehicle is equipped with the tire pressure monitoring system, have the flat tire serviced by an authorized dealer in order to prevent damage to the TPMS sensor."

I was thinking to change the tires to Michelin Polit Sport A/S in Sears Auto Center, is it safe to do that?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:33 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Where is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) located?

These systems are now required by the Federal government for all 2007 model vehicles (and thereafter).

A vehicle manufacturer can use one of two methods for monitoring tire pressure - a direct system or an indirect system. Ford uses a direct method.

Our Mustanges have5 transmitters on them- one per wheel; and a central receiver. Each tire is monitored for temperature; air pressure and battery strength - in simple terms, the transmitter is basically a sophisticated value stem with a battery in it. These valve stems transmit data to the central receiver.

An indirect system uses the antilock braking system to measure wheel rotation. If a tire is low on air, it will roll at a different number of revolutions per mile, and the modified antilock brake system is set up to detect an occurence like this.

If you have your tires /rims worked on, make sure you go to a shop / vendor who has the correct replacement stems; and that indeed your new tires / rims can accomodate them.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Max68

The TMPS is mounted to the rim with a metal band. I had a blowout the band broke came out from between the tire and rim and beat the crap out of my car. chiped the paint badly on wheel wheel and fender.The dealership said the band shouldnt break but it did... I would like to take the TMPS off of my car.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:26 PM
1968Shelby

I got one at Walmart that looks like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../154599_lg.gif

Works pretty good too.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:15 PM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mail906
Our Mustanges have5 transmitters on them- one per wheel; and a central receiver. Each tire is monitored for temperature; air pressure and battery strength - in simple terms, the transmitter is basically a sophisticated value stem with a battery in it. These valve stems transmit data to the central receiver.
Valve stems? Do you mean the black plastic thing?

If I have the tires changed in Sears, how do I know the TPMS is still working?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:04 AM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1968Shelby

I got one at Walmart that looks like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../154599_lg.gif

Works pretty good too.
lol ! [sm=exactly.gif]
Old 01-29-2007, 12:51 AM
erniep

The 2007 has the indirect TPMS system with a band mounted sensor in each wheel. the RF receiver that pics up the signals is integrated into your Body Control Module. Pressure goes low and you get the warning light.

When you have your tires repared, etc, you MUST have the sensors re-installed and tested by the tire shop. There are tools, like the TIPS tool, to allow you to test the sensors to make sure they still work. You cannot just turn off the TPMS system. You could put the sensors in a pressurized plastic tank in the trunk, but that would be the wrong way to fix the issue.

All tire shops should be able to get you new tires without breaking the sensors .... even Sears. The system will show you a TPMSerror in a few minutes (<20min) if the system is damaged or incorrectly programmed.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:16 AM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone bought another set of 4 sensors for different wheel/tire combos and how much do they cost?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 AM
panzermk2
1st Gear Member

Has anyone thought about what a waste of time and government intrusion adding crap for people to STUPID to check thier tire pressure?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

You reuse the same sensor, just buy bigger bands. Napa had them for around 10 bucks each. Just install the sensor 180 out from the valve stem.

Quick Reply: Where is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) located?