Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speaker polarity

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default speaker polarity

Can anyone please tell me which color speakerwires are positive and which colorsare negative?

My car is an '06 GTwith the shaker 500 and Ihave changed the 5X7back speakers and Iam about to do the5X7s inthe doors but I cut off the factory connectors and now Ican't tell which wire is thepositive wire. [8D]

Does it really make a difference if the speaker polarity is reversed? My speakers are JL Audio TR570and there is a tiny "crossover" on the positive connection ofeach one.

What happens if I getthe polaritywrong?

By the way, I am only concerned with the 5X7s as the crappy stock subs will stay for now.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: speaker polarity

Red is typically positive and black is negative.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

It won't matter. I've tried switching the wires back and forth on speakers and can't tell a difference.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

Red is typically positive and black is negative.
I wish it was that easy.....unfortunately,none of the wiresare red or black.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

The polarity is important under load it can sound like ***, and its very bad for the speaker, unless your doing some special woofer ****.

This shows the colors at the back of the radio, but I dont know if they are the same at the speakers, ford is usually good for carrying the colors through but sometimes that change mid harness.

http://www.swaaggs.com/documents/aud...290b&d.pdf

if that doesnt help you check the guys over at http://the12volt.com
they have some good info on audio stuff.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
StartMeUp
1st Gear Member

Have you tried hooking a multimeter up to the wires and turning the stereo on? That should give you an indication as to which is + and -. Another little trick is to hook a 9-volt battery up to the terminals of the speaker. When you have the positive terminal of the battery on the correct terminal of the speaker, the cone on the speaker should pop out. If it sinks in, you have it backwards.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

your left front should be + OG/LG
- LB/WH
right front +WH/LG
- DG/OG
Old 01-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

It won't matter. I've tried switching the wires back and forth on speakers and can't tell a difference.
Try reversing the polarity of one speaker, and leaving the other one correct...then go listen and tell me there's no difference.

With a flat-coned driver that somehow has its madnet completely out of the way, you could theoretically reverse polarity, flip the speaker over 180*, and listen to it just fine. Unfortuneately, in real life, reversed polarity will drastically hurt clarity and output, in addition to virutally complete cancellation when played in unison with a speaker in correct polarity.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sleeper05

ORIGINAL: Simon1

Try reversing the polarity of one speaker, and leaving the other one correct...then go listen and tell me there's no difference.

With a flat-coned driver that somehow has its madnet completely out of the way, you could theoretically reverse polarity, flip the speaker over 180*, and listen to it just fine. Unfortuneately, in real life, reversed polarity will drastically hurt clarity and output, in addition to virutally complete cancellation when played in unison with a speaker in correct polarity.
I did try that about 10+ years ago and couldn't tell the difference. They were just average 6x9's and tweets. I'll claim ignorance on the sound clarity, due to hearing loss and buying crappy speakers back in the day. I pay to have them installed now.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Gone2
2nd Gear Member

I found this out when I replaced mine.

The wire nearest the plug's clip is +. It's marked (very small) on the speaker half of the plug.

I got them both backwards at first.

Here is the thread. I got it backwards at first.
https://mustangforums.com/m_1659697/tm.htm

Quick Reply: speaker polarity