Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
KAD

Default Shorty headers

Will shorty headers increase the sound leval of the car. Have an 06 GT 4.6, Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Shorty headers

Ive been researching headers........have been told that both, shorties and LTs will increase sound but Im not sure which one will be louder......I would think that LTs would because of the distance the air travels.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Yes they increase sound. I have JBA shorties and it does change the sound. Get ready for everyone to tell you how not to waste your money. Shorties don't increase power like LT's, but LT's aren't smog legal so it creates a dilema for some (like me). I like my shorties and the sound they create. I paired them with the FRPP stingers. If I wasn't technicaly challenged and had the equipment, I would post a sound clip. If the state you live in doesn't have a visual smog test then you willpass smog just fine.In California, it goes by the county (in CA) whether or not they do a visual.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:53 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

Dont waste the $ and time on shorties unless you are going turboget some long tubes. LTs do increase the sound level.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:30 PM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

Dont waste it on shorties, lol. LT's!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Headers (long or short) do not increase sound in and out of themselves. They do sound different, but they are not louder.

Now then, longtube installs are usually louder than OEM--not becasue of the headers, but becasue nobody installs longtubes with stock cats. They use either high-flow cats or no cats (aka "off road" setup). THAT makes a longtube install louder. But headers themsevles have a minimal impact on volume.

+1 on Riven's comment about LTs vs. shorties.

Emissions is a minor concern. It is easy enough to avoid trouble!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

What is the point of Shorties? Do they have any advantage over stock?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

Headers (long or short) do not increase sound in and out of themselves. They do sound different, but they are not louder.

Now then, longtube installs are usually louder than OEM--not becasue of the headers, but becasue nobody installs longtubes with stock cats. They use either high-flow cats or no cats (aka "off road" setup). THAT makes a longtube install louder. But headers themsevles have a minimal impact on volume.
Yep its the whole setup. End result is a much louder meaner exhaust.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Revlefty

What is the point of Shorties? Do they have any advantage over stock?
Thier prettier
Old 01-22-2007, 07:53 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

They have a peak HP gain of about 5HP, and some say they provide a torque boost around 3000 RPM. One mag article puts them at +17 ft-lb at 3000 RPM, whereas another showed only +5 ft-lb there.

In my opinion they are worth a small HP/TQ gain, but I don't think it is worth the cost or the effort to install. IMHO, they sell simply becasue people want to buy mods for their car and belive in them regardless of the real-world results....like throttle body spacers and "Tornado" intakes. Shorties may be good on other cars, but on this car, the OEM manifolds are excellent. The way to get real power from the exhaust is by scavenging, and that cannot be done with shorties.

My advice: if you want to do the exhaust, get longtubes. If that is not possible for whatever reason (legal issues, finances, etc..) then just stick with stock. The amount of time and $$ inolved with shorties is not worthwhile given the small gains.

Quick Reply: Shorty headers