Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing top speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default Increasing top speed

Solely interested in flat out top speed, flying mile, this car peaks at 140 and thats too slow, would like to achieve 160, opinions on best way to go, s/c, turbo, driveline, gears etc... Please do not turn the thread into a lecture about speeding is bad i have a safe place to go fast, only interested in the technical side to make this car run 160.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Increasing top speed

your going to need the power to overcome the drag.....I hope you have a plan for that.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:00 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Gearing is not your problem. HP is the problem.

The top speed of a car can be determined by either of two factors:

1) By gearing, your top speed islimited by your final drive ratio with the transmission in top gear and the engine at redline. On our cars this is about 190 MPH (stock)

2) By Horsepower and drag. Your top speed is limitedwhenever the HP of the engine matchesaerodynamic drag and friction acting on the car.

..the ultimate top speed of yourcar is reachedat the LOWER of these two numbers. It happens that in our case top speedis drag-limited and happens around 140MPH. The exact speed varies becasue air pressure, altitude, temperature, and so on will affectdrag.

Anway, what this means is that gearswon't help you get any faster becasue gearing is not what is limitingyour speed. You need to get more HP out of the car to raise your top speed, OR you need to make the car more aerodynamic, or both.

Look for mods that increase the peak HP output of the engine: exhaust, intake, turbo or supercharger, that kind of thing.

Lightweight mods like aluminum driveshafts won't help you for peak top speed. Those are great for acceleration but useless here.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:05 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

The GTs are computer limited to a top speed of 145 and many people on the board have hit it before. Al did a good job describing what you need... more hp, and body parts that are more aerodynamic. Just make sure you look into upgrading the suspension and tires so that the car is stable and controllable at those speeds. Id also look into a hood pin kit because a hood flying up at that speed could be painful.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:38 PM
1sloGT

I think that is going to be pretty hard? You could always buy a bike
Old 01-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

There was a write up in MMFF and Motor Trend. I believe it was actually a MT project, they were shooting for the double century mark, and their estimates were about 800-900 hp to reach that mark as i think it was 750 only got them to around 175 in the measured mile over three miles.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:27 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. What bugs me is my normally aspirated 04 Mach 1 would run 155 no problem, and there isnt that much HP diff between these cars. What accounts for this discrepancy between similar HP cars? The Mach kept making power in the top end to push up to and over 150, and the Mach didnt seem more aerodynamic than the 06.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:30 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

bolt ons and 4.30s and your there
Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

Thanks for the replies. What bugs me is my normally aspirated 04 Mach 1 would run 155 no problem, and there isnt that much HP diff between these cars. What accounts for this discrepancy between similar HP cars? The Mach kept making power in the top end to push up to and over 150, and the Mach didnt seem more aerodynamic than the 06.
These cars aren't very aerodynamic.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:02 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xbone

... Look at the sn95 and then look at our car... the s197 is about as aerodynamic as a cinder block. With our car + bolt ons and the limiter removed you could get 160. Like I said, people have hit the 145 limiter stock.... and I really dont think it would take 800+ hp to get us to the 200 mark.... then again, if I can remember correctly the ratio of hp : top speed increases as it gets higher, so who knows...

Quick Reply: Increasing top speed