Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I'm going to do it: No Muffs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: Ok, I'm going to do it: No Muffs.

ORIGINAL: 6xStang

ORIGINAL: Stormbringer

Jesus they're ****...
Most states are like this; even the great state of Texas, redder state than VA, requires mufflers:

B. Adequate Mufflers or Sound Dissipative Devices. [ol][*]No person shall operate or cause to be operated any motor vehicle or motorcycle not equipped with a muffler or other sound dissipative device in good working order and in constant operation.[*]No person shall remove or render inoperative or cause to be removed or rendered inoperative, other than for purposes of maintenance, repair or replacement, any muffler or sound dissipative device on a motor vehicle or motorcycle. [/ol]
Heck if I went to check on NY or Massachussetts I'll probably find a law that says it's illegal to shift at speeds in excess of 3000 rpm.......
Wow! I didn't know that, a bunch of people at my school have been preaching its legal unless you mess with the cats... I guess I will just wait until I can afford me some Borla/MAC's.

ORIGINAL: SRT_what

I took mine off, drove around for a day and put 'em back on. I really just wanted to hear what the car sounded like. Didn't sound that bad, but wasn't at all refined or anything. I think the car looks like crap w/out tips coming out the back. Not to mention, about 2 miles down the road the pipes started hitting stuff under the car regardless of how tiny the bump was or how slow I went. If I got anything out of it, it was that I now know how to take the stock mufflers off when I order my axleback. Good luck.
Yea I kinda wanna here what it sounds like, But idunno, the rattling is kind of a big turn off.

@RodeoFlyer: So using your logic, every person who changes their exhaust regardless of what car it is, is considered a "riceballer?" Even though they just want a different/deeper tone?
@Moosestang, I'm sorry I asked soo many questions, god knows you are forced to read and post in my thread. If I knew I was anoying you so much, I would of put a bullet between my head years ago.

Thanks for everyone who explained everything to me better than just saying I was anoying for having a few questions.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:53 AM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

i drove with my mufflers off right before installing my motoblue rs axlebacks. it was barely louder at all than with my new mufflers on, just a lot less refined sounding. id suggest to just spend the 150 and get some motoblue rs axlebacks
Old 01-27-2007, 03:09 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

it doesn not sound like crap at all...
it will be WAY louder then loudmouths, because the resonance from the turndowns (no mufflers, the pipes head strait for the ground) it will be LOUD, headache drone
sounds cool as hell though

BUT DONT DO IT!
your exhaust is bolted together, over every bump it will bounce up and down, loosening and eventually making the h pipe fall off (no kidding at all i have done it)
nopt only that, but the whole exhaust system bouncing up and down (3+inches) can cause major other problems, you coud break the flanges on your headers,or worse break a header bolt.
UNLESS you can fashion a hanger to IMMOBILIZE the whole exhaust withouth muffflers its a BAD idea
Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

although it may be illegal, but its a fix-it ticket, meaning you just have to put mufflers on if you get a ticket...which you may...and you will have to pay noise ordinance fines in some places because its alot louder then loudmouths even...

BTW
hangers would not be hard to fashion at all if you have a welder a blowtorch (or similar) and some 1/4 inch steel rod
Old 01-27-2007, 03:40 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Hey I actually have mine off currently, and have for a couple days now because Im cleaning my SLPs and polishing them up nice again. The sound really isnt that bad... it kinda grows on ya... its definately very raw and unrefined sounding though. On decel it sounds awesome... definately much louder than my SLPs, because of the turn down effect. Ive passed multiple cops, multiple times and they havent said a thing or even given me a second look. Yes it sounds like theres no back pressure but there really is, now if you were running open header with nothing after the headers then there would really be no backpressure, but A) you have cats, then a midpipe, and then more length of pipe so there is still alot of backpressure, and B) backpressure is over-rated. Theres a really loud humming (which is what I would assume everyone calls drone, because until someone is sitting in my car and points it out to me, Ill never know what it is) and it vibrates everything in the car @1600 rpm. As far as the pipes having to come out the back, they dont (even though it does look stupid)... at least not in any state Ive ever heard of.. but they DO have to exit -behind- the driver...Meaning you cant dump the exhaust right out of the engine behind the front wheel, if you do side exhaust it has to be in front of the back wheel. There are actually kits made specifically for dumping the exhaust straight down under the car (not for our car)... turn down kits.. so that you dont have to run to the side or rear. If you really want to do it, just do it, because if not then youll always be like "what if?"... so just try it, get it over with, and move on and either put the stock ones back on or buy aftermarket ones.. and if youre really worried about the cops that bad, leave your mufflers in the trunk and if you get pulled over just say something like "I was just on my way to the muffler shop to have these installed" or some junk like that... I highly doubt some guy is going to be like "O well... Im giving you a ticket anyways!".
Old 01-27-2007, 03:43 AM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

with regards to your muffler clip...
dang Ford needs to hire you for commercials.

(or is that what you do)

but get a '05+ stang next time
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Quit trying to compete with the riceburners and their fartmobiles. I cant stand those ****buckets brap brapping next to me.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:57 PM
bfoster01
I ♥ Acer

+1

Yeah - No Muffs How are you going to do it??????
Old 01-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: bfoster01

You post says "Muffs"!!!!!!!

KOOL - I get it.

I love your double meaning
lol, I was wondering if anyone would notice that.

Hey Bboren, can I get a better quality soundclip? You got any drone with those things?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:33 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

+1

Am I the only one that actually LIKES Drone?

Quick Reply: Ok, I'm going to do it: No Muffs.