Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the stock Mustang GT understeer like the stock V6 does?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:35 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does the stock Mustang GT understeer like the stock V6 does?

I think part of the problem is how people drive the car. You have to know how to corner. Some people just try to simply maintain a high speed right through the curve. I would say if you're not breaking going into the curve, you were going too slow approaching it. Setting the car up by breaking properly is very important. You should have about 90% of your breaking done before entering the curve and shouldn't be accelerating until you hit the apex. I'm certainly no pro but that's how I like to handle it. -Joe
Old 01-27-2007, 12:22 PM
mkaresh

Well, braking at the beginning of the curve (trail braking) will induce oversteer, so this certainly makes sense.

The steering system has nothing to do with it. Understeer is a function of weight distribution and suspension tuning. To reduce understeer, get weight off the nose (i.e. the V8 should be worse with all else equal) and reduce roll in the tail end. If the base car has no rear stabilizer bar, it should understeer a lot more than cars with one.

Forget the Evo.It's very nose-heavy, it'll understeer at the limit in steady-state cornering.For neutral handling it's hard to beat the Mustang's distant cousin, the Mazda RX-8.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:25 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Most cars, including the GT, understeer from the factory. Maufactuers design the cars to understeer from a safety perspective.

The easiest solution to balance the steering bias is to enlarge the rear sway bar. Note, don't "upgrade" the front becasue the whole point is that you want to make the rear bar stiffer relative to the front. If you "upgrade" the front too, you aren't getting anywhere. Leave the front sway bar alone and geta thicker aftermarket rear. Problem solved.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Let me add to that -
The base V6's have the crappy (IMO) 16" tires and a smaller front sway-bar (with none in back too). A V6 car with Pony Pkg or 17" take-offs will handle much better. If your car is a base V6 with 16" tires, you should consider upgrading tires versus taking the depreciation hit by trading in your V6 for a GT.
My V6 has pony package, which comes with 17 in wheel, PZero tires, basically the same as the GT.

The V6 doesn't have LSD. When I bought the V6, I didn't know I need it to do a proper powerslide and donut, etc. I thought all RWD carscan do that, but now I know.

It still depends on the trade-in, if they can give me 17k, I'll go for it.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:41 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You bought your car to do doughnuts? Just put an LSD on the back and you can burn your tires all you want.

ORIGINAL: NewMustang

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Let me add to that -
The base V6's have the crappy (IMO) 16" tires and a smaller front sway-bar (with none in back too). A V6 car with Pony Pkg or 17" take-offs will handle much better. If your car is a base V6 with 16" tires, you should consider upgrading tires versus taking the depreciation hit by trading in your V6 for a GT.
My V6 has pony package, which comes with 17 in wheel, PZero tires, basically the same as the GT.

The V6 doesn't have LSD. When I bought the V6, I didn't know I need it to do a proper powerslide and donut, etc. I thought all RWD cars can do that, but now I know.

It still depends on the trade-in, if they can give me 17k, I'll go for it.