Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
bewelch

Default Tire Pressure Sensors

OK, I am switching from 17" wheels to 18" wheels on my '07 Mustang GT. The tire pressure sensors(TPS) are held in place w/a band around the inside of the wheel. Ford has 18" bands for about $40 a piece. I did find out that theTPS idiot light does not differentiate between sensors.......that is if any or all tire pressures go beyound the limits programmed in the computer, the light will activate. So, then theoretically, I could not run the TPS sensors on the 18" wheels and put 1 of thestock onesin the spare tire (assuming spare is same tire pressure)and defeat the system so I don't have to buy bands for the 18" wheels.

Has anybody out there done this??????

Bud
Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire Pressure Sensors

Another reason Ford is going broke, coddling the govt with this stupid crap. Have the tire shop tape the dumb sensors inside the spare and dont bother with them again. Useless crap.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
bewelch

Thanks for the rely xbone! You say "tape the sensors"........meaning all 4 of them? I'm thinking that I only need1 (one) sensor in the spare to prevent the dash idiot light tripping......and I better strap in on just in case I ever have to use the spare. What do you think and have you actually done this?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:52 PM
slow07
2nd Gear Member

You just bought a nearly $30K car, and now you don't want to spend the $160 to fix it right??? I have an idea that bailing wire and duct tape are your favorite "tools".
Old 01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

I dont have that crap i have an 06. The sensors are crap, they make the wheels harder to balance. Not sure if you can put one or all in the spare and have it work.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:14 PM
bewelch

I can imagine the TPS's affecting tire/wheel balance. So, you have not done this 'cause you have an '06......right? I would like to find out if someone has done the TPS in the spare. Or am I the first to attempt to do it? I can't really believe that.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:52 PM
blackonblackstang

The spares pressure is too high... you will need to make a container to put them all in for it to work.... a guy on here did it with pvc pipe and a valve stem. I am doing the same thing with the 18's this summer. Cheaper to just unmount the tires and take all the sensors out and put them in the pressure tube and put it in the trunk. Then you dont have to worry about the stupid sensors if you run 2 sets of wheels.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 PM
erniep

Hi Guys,
You cant fool the TPMS system with a single sensor. You need to have 4 sensors, all programmed to the car system, all above the 26 PSI low tire presure threshold or the system will fail. The sensors also have a roll sensor to tell that the sensors are spinning. If they don't spin ... they dont transmit every minute, they only transmit every 6 hours... and the system will set a failure.

Look for cheaper bands on the web. The sensors have adhesive so they shouldn't move and mess up the balance if installed correctly.

Ford is not coddling anyone, the TPMS sensors are required by law as required by the TREAD act and FMVSS 138. Every car sold new in america will have them by the end of this year!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 AM
bcolem10

Tires do not need to rollto sense pressure. You can test it by letting the air out and leave the car sit for a short time, the lite will come on. The sensor checks for pressure once a minute when the car gets to 32mphusing the speedo not the tpms. When thecar sits for a long time the sensor goes to sleep to save the battery. I put all 4 sensors in a sealed pvc tube with a valve stem in one end, set pressure to 32psi no problems. The tube is mounted in the trunk between the speakers.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:54 PM
bewelch

It makes sense that the TPS can sense pressure w/o rolling. However,I'm sure itmay be possible to detect movement of the sensor.But, if you have done this w/a sealed PVC tube, the previous posting is in error regarding the "roll sensor" aspect of the system.......right? The car of which you speak has to be an '07 right? Cause '07 is the first year they put these damn things on........right?
Also, the previous posting stated that 26 PSI was the low pressure threshold. Do you know what the high pressure threshold is? Is it 32 PSI or something higher? Why not just set the spare pressure to the nominal value between thresholds, put all sensors in ther and use it as the "PVC tube"? I don't plan on using the spare at all but if I did, as long as it had some air, I couldcarefullylimp tosomewhere!

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors