Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
vegasfish
1st Gear Member

Default Water Leaks

I am considering buying a 2007 GT and see a lot of threads concerning water leaks.
This is turning me off in buying one. Is this a major concern and design flaw or is it only limited to a hand few of mustangs. The price is right but considerable headaches ahead?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:46 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Water Leaks

This is a problem in a minority of cars. Remember that this is a discussion forum, and many people post to ask questions about problems. Very few post to say "my car is fine today."

If somebody posted a poll to see how many mustang owners have a leak problem, I will bet it is less than 2% (though i have no data to support it).

There is another guy who put up a post recently where he has decided against buying a mustang because of all of the "problems" posted on the forum. While that is certainly his prerogative, that is probably the worst way to sample ownership experiences since most posted originally find the board to ask questions about problems, rather than to post "the car is fine today."

Of course you could check consumer reports....but the mustang review grid has been filled with black circles for over 20 years......yet people like me keep buying em and coming back for more.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I'm a water leak "survivor". Other than the inconvenience of several dealership trips to have it repaired, it didn't put me off too much versus the great experience of owning this unique and fun car.

It is obviously fully warrantable work if in fact a leak exists. It is repairable and a TSB is supposedly currently in the works. This will help streamline future repair efforts.

Look in any forums about pretty much any type of product and you will see plenty "problem" posts. But as 6x said, outside of initial happy posts with an item, you'll see more of the woes as people seek solutions.

If this is still a concern, I would suggest going shopping for a 'stang on a very rainy day and feel the passenger carpeting next to the kickplate (if possible, remove the fuse access panel and feel the carpet behind the kickplate as well).
Old 02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt really let that discourage me from buying a stang. My water leak was a popped out grommet in the engine bay and it's rained since with no water leaks. Pretty much all cars have some sort of problem with them.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:18 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

yea even though i have the ebrake freezin problem, i dont think it happens to the 2007 so go right aheard and buy one ASAP
Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 6xStang
This is a problem in a minority of cars ...
This is totally unproven. I do not believe most owners are even aware of the problem unless it is bad.

Only you can decide if it stops you from purchasing a Mustang. But I think that anyone who has followed Ford's response [attentiveness] to this problem will think twice before buying any Ford product. Essentially they're in denial.

Supposedly a TSB in now being written [posted here a couple of weeks after the New Year]; but one of the members here contacted Ford on Jan. 25th when she found that she had the problem only to be informed by Ford that they know nothing of the problem. They seem to have forgotten that they have replaced entire vehicle due to the problem as early as May 2006.

For anyone who reads this - Do your fellow Mustang owners a favor - tell them to check their vehicles after a drive in the rain or on a wet day. Simplypull the access panel in thepassenger front footwell, and feeldown under the carpet and under the carpet pad. If anyone has"the leak", you'll feel it here.

This problem has beencirculating (with some frequency) now for 4,possibly 5 months. Last week I asked two fellowSN197 owners if they had the problem.Both were unaware that the problem existed. One owner - afairly knowledgeable Mustang owner - had noticedan ordor but never took the time to investigate it.

Given that the water leak source is reputed to originate from a number of firewall / cowl /grommet / seam areas - it isn't unreasonable to think that it may bewidespread. Check your vehicle !!!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mail906

This is totally unproven.
How do you prove a negative? If you are that worried about it then I guess you should sell your mustang if you have one and don't buy one if you haven't already?

It is also unproven that our cars aren't all booby-trapped by terrorists. I'll risk it. With how ever many thousands of S197's that have been out there since 2005, if it was that widespread, we would have heard about more than 6 or 7 of them.

And...if it is that widespread, then with your 3 year warranty it will get fixed. If you don't beleive it then you don't trust the vendor and you shouldn't buy a Ford.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
04stangman
2nd Gear Member

Me and my 07 are leak free................................. So far~
Old 02-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Jens07stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04stangman

Me and my 07 are leak free................................. So far~
+1Me and my 07 too are leak free................so far
Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 PM
red07gt
1st Gear Member

Mine is high and dry as well....and believe me after reading about "the leak' I check it every time it gets wet.

Quick Reply: Water Leaks