Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POssible New Transmission at 15k

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:37 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Default POssible New Transmission at 15k

So my car currently has 15,xxx km on it.
Its been making this weird knocking noise in 4th gear for quite some time now. 1500RPM / 60 km/h and up with moderate throttle will make it knock. Going up a hill, it seriously sounds like the bottom end will go. I know for a fact i'm not lugging the engine as even on flat roads it will still make this noise.

This whole time, i thought it was bad gas or spark knock like mentioned on this board before, but the idea of the bottom end of my motor could be on its way out has always been in the back of my mind.

BUT, since ive got a tuner / cai / h-pipe/ exhaust all on order, I figured i might as well have this looked at before modifying the car.

It's a good thing i did so. Turns out my motor is fine. Its the transmission. Left the car with the dealership for 2 days, took a rip with the shop foreman, and he concluded that there is indeed something wrong with the transmission.

He looked at various TSB's for loose exahaust hangers / transmission issues etc, but came up with nothing. Gave a shout the Ford hotline with the techs and they haven't come across this problem either.

The techs said the solution was to rip apart the tranny and diagnose from there.
The foreman said at that point, it was useless to rip apart, repair and re-assmble, but would be easier if they just got me a new tranny.

So he said he would call me early next week to figure out if and when he can get a new unit in and when i can get it installed.
Thank god for warranty
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: POssible New Transmission at 15k

not sure if anyone cares, but this is getting more and more annoying

Left the car with the dealership for a whole week, essentially nothing got done. It sat there on the hoist, had a bunch of mechanics poke around, but the tranny was not touched at all.
They said the ford engineers want them to compare my car to a new5 speed mustang GT to determine if the noise is normal or not. From a cost point of view, they dont want to touch the transmission unless all options have been exhausted.
The dealership doesnt have any 5 speeds in stock, are unsure of their next shipment of cars, so they gave me my car back with the knocking noise even worse than before.
The wait is indefinate, as soon as they can find a 5 speed they will test it and compare to mine (or so they say)
This sucks as i just got my CAI + tuner from B - Chips and its just sitting in my basement.

On the plus side, for the week that i had their focus courtesy car i got amazing fuel economy ! I saved a ton of money by not driving my car
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 AM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Why not bring it to another dealership that you know has a manual GT in stock they can compare it to? In any case, I hope it turns out for the best for you and your stang!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:35 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ good advice... take it to any ford dealer to do the repairs. It is all on computer for the car anyway so they will go from there and test it with a 5 spd manual. You are not restricted to one dealer from what I understand
Old 03-07-2007, 07:54 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

How can any transmission noise be normal? Unless you are grinding that puppy hard....these doggone dealers or engineers what to get away with murder nowadays...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

New transmission at 3k and another at 4k.
Look it up, it may be in Ford System, the plates on the inside can hit the case. Ford Engineers came in to diagnose mine.
Ford tech, not dealer tech said they were seeing it on occasion
Old 03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

auto or manual? Mine manual makes some noises.. ive searched and i think it is normal, however I think we have the same problem. I was thinking about taking a spin in a new one at the dealer to check it out myself. Keep us posted, I want to know how this goes...

edit: Mine makes it in 1st though
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

The dealership its currently at has done all my warranty repairs / tsb's are they are great.
I talked to a mechanic who works at a different dealership around my neighborhood and he said to stick it out and stay with the current dealership im at..

He said dealership he works for would 99% dismiss it as normal wear and tear / operational sounds and send me on my way. I would be lucky to even get a road test.

I give it a week before I call the dealership and see whats up.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:39 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Awesome.
Went in today, shop forman still had no answers.
Compared it to new 2007's and they have none of the noises my car is exhibiting.

He took it for another rip, the noise is there in 3rd and 4th gear now, but he is not convinced that its from the tranny. Hethinks it may be comming from the engine as well. He has taken a stethescope to it, but still cannot be sure.

He still maintains that Ford engineers still have not heard of this problem, and as a result they cant direct him as to where to start in terms of diagnosing. Essentially , he kept saying to have patience with them, the noise is slowly getting worse and once it does he will hopefully know where to look.

This is getting ridiculous. Ive had everything put on hold now for 2 months, as this still isn't resolved.
Will calling the 1-800 hotline work? He wont pull the motor or the tranny as he doesnt know what he is looking for, and its not practical or ecenomical either.

Any ideas?
Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 AM
Skoshi42
2nd Gear Member

dude, im having transmission problems too with my auto... and im all the way in Hawaii.. your not alone, they wont even touch my engine or transmission.... Ford is definately gonna hear from me... im hiring an attorney and lemon law-ing my car.... this is definately getting rediculous...

Quick Reply: POssible New Transmission at 15k