Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WATER LEAK - RECALL TIME

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WATER LEAK - RECALL TIME

Holy old thread batman!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WATER LEAK - RECALL TIME

ORIGINAL: timothyrw

i thought recalls were only issued for safety issues.

i.e. potential fires, failing brakes, failures in steering, etc...

if it's not a safety issue, they really don't HAVE to issue a recall.

from recalls.gov

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the U.S. Department of Transportation provides recall information including vehicle and equipment campaigns from 1966 to present. The campaigns include motor vehicle products which experienced a safety-related defect or did not comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards:"

Munufacturers do "Customer Satisfaction Recalls" all the time.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
murry
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
From all 3 million posts (just kidding) on the subject matter, it is my understanding that cars built before September 2006 may have more of a leak issue than those built after that date. Mine was built Nov. 2006 and so far (knocking on wood) no leaks.
So yes, some 2007 models may leak if built before Sept. 2006.
FWIW, my car was built about 5/07 and I have now discovered major leaking.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:25 PM
turtlevette

Come on you guys. You're looking at this all wrong.

What other car gives you a small swimming pool in the back seat?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4003_large.jpg
Old 04-18-2011, 09:36 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

holy resurrection....
Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

Hello everyone, I just want to start off by saying I know this topic has been murdered on this forum; however, I would be ignorant if don’t ask questions cause I found a nasty surprise in my 2006 GT as many have.

As you know, there was a nasty storm last weekend, and I always knew my car had a leak issue. I use to shop vac it out and thought the problem was resolved. To my surprise, after it rained, my viper alarm was making weird chirps, head lights were acting funny and my tail light would stay on even though the car was turned off. I touched the passenger side floor and behind the passenger side seat and it felt like an Olympic size swimming pool.

I finally manned up and took the whole car apart and removed the passenger side seat and took off all the panels and was amazed at how much water was there. There was 2.5 inches of water sitting there, I KID YOU NOT !!! The under pad was drenched and all I can think of was “MILDEW”. I read the TSB and followed all the areas, the two holes by the cam heads, the cabin air filter and drain, and the A pillar area. All was well except by the A pillar where I sealed the F - - k out of. I then got my buddy to use a garden hose and I can still see some water coming in and falling o the SJB. So I took to my buddy who has a body shop where he will further examine the issue with me and see if there is a fix. My brother has the same exact car in red and he never had an issue with his which is why I find it strange.

Long story short, I think my SJB is fried. I don’t know how to verify that. I think it still might be good cause all the lights work, and the car runs perfect minus the one real tail light bulb that never turns off , despite the car being turned off. So I will seal the SJB and wrap it up somehow to protect it from water and seal anything I can so I never have this issue.

How do I know if the SJB is cooked? My car has only 25 k on it, and I feel like burning it now. The mental trauma this water damage caused me was worst than bullets I took. I called 5 dealerships about the issue cause I still have power train warranty, and 3 pretended the problem never existed ad 2 said to pound salt cause your bumper to bumper ran out.

My advice to anyone who experienced this issue is to tackle this problem and seal the issue. Even though you don’t have the issue, you might have it and not know about it. Open her up and take a look and you might save yourself lots of cash.

PS: The dealer said that the part would cost me 1200 bucks before installation and parts. Can you f - -kin believe that? When they said they never heard of the problem. Food for thought.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:23 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default get a class action

Originally Posted by turtlevette
Come on you guys. You're looking at this all wrong.

What other car gives you a small swimming pool in the back seat?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4003_large.jpg
HOly Shiite.

Everyone with a leak, take pics and call that lawyer who is thinking about a class action, maybe if 50 people call it will happen?
Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Anita HJ

Originally Posted by mail906
This is really unbelievable [and yes this is yet another leak thread]. I have been hawking the entire leak issue, and amember here in a recent post has identified the smoking gun - clear proof thatFordis hidinga known leak problem with aband-aid.

Many have asked and wondered why a piece of white foam exists over the electrical box (SJB) within their passenger compartment side kick panel. Well, in response to one of the threads here, one of our members has now posted this:

"... in Ford's factoryservice manual under the section on replacing theelectrical box ...(SJB) ... inside the passenger side kick panel, Ford refers to the foam sheet over the SJB as a "watershield" and cautions not to remove it when installing the new box ..."

If this is true, and it should be verified by someone with access to the manuals [which I do not have], here are the facts:

Ford designs and builds a vehicle with an electrical box (SJB) located inside the passenger cabin of the vehicle. In fact, the SJB isnestled between the outer fender and the interior kick panel. But for some reason - clearly known to Ford - they find the need to include a foam "watershield" to protect the SJB from water inflitration.

Certainly this is S_H_I_T product quality at it's finest, but it would seem that it is far more. It would appear that it is proof positive for those with the problem to demand that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) force a recall of the vehicle if only enoughowners notified NHTSA accordingly [another topic/strategy discussed on these forums].

It's black and white. The SN197 leaks, and Ford has know about it for a long time, and has yet to take appropriate action. And no; a TSB does not qualify. The manufacturer is responsible for fixing the vehicle. Writing a checklist - to be used only when a owner complains about the problem - is not the same as fixing the problem.
It is a safety issue! I was traveling at night, in the rain, when I lost my headlights, tail lights, and had other electrical issues. I couldn't see anything and had no cell service. I had my disabled son in the car and we were both afraid of being hit by another vehicle or something running out in front of us. There was no where to get off the road. Luckily a man that got behind me realized what had happened and drove behind me with his light on high, until we could get to a safe stopping spot. This is a definite safety issue. Apparently, ford is waiting on someone to be killed because of their mess up. They need to recall the 2005 mustang and fix the problem that they caused, and have known about for years.

Originally Posted by GidyupGo
Munufacturers do "Customer Satisfaction Recalls" all the time.
It is a safety issue! I was traveling at night, in the rain, when I lost my headlights, tail lights, and had other electrical issues. I couldn't see anything and had no cell service. I had my disabled son in the car and we were both afraid of being hit by another vehicle or something running out in front of us. There was no where to get off the road. Luckily a man that got behind me realized what had happened and drove behind me with his light on high, until we could get to a safe stopping spot. This is a definite safety issue. Apparently, ford is waiting on someone to be killed because of their mess up. They need to recall the 2005 mustang and fix the problem that they caused, and have known about for years.

Last edited by JimC; 04-18-2018 at 07:45 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 04-18-2018, 03:42 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by Anita HJ
Once more for good measure...
Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Resurrection of a 11 year old thread. Guy probably has it straightened out by now, I hope.