Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Problems Aren't For Jokes

Old 02-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Default Car Problems Aren't For Jokes

Hi, It bothered me this morning for a little while that a few people think our car problems are a joking matter. We all worked very hard to be able to buy these Mustangs and when we have a problem were not on this forum looking for jokes. Any problem be it a rattle, squeak, hesitation etc. are serious. We didn't spend $2300 on a Pinto, we spent up to $35,000 on these cars and problems aren't a laughing matter. So I'm not going to knock anyones freedom of speach but people with problems aren't looking for jokes or insults. Thanks for letting me voice an opinion.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Whomp
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Car Problems Aren't For Jokes

I'm with you, I also do not make monthly payments on this car to get flamed by others.
My wife went from a Honda to the Mustang, I still have a Honda and she works at Honda. It soooooo chaps my *** when the clowns at her work are consistantly ragging on us buying a Ford. UGGGGHHHH. Hell, I have had a great deal of problems with my Civic and we got rid of her Civic because the transmission was about to crap out. Anyhow, I don't mean to hijack your thread, I wanted to let that out too.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 PM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

I hear ya. When I first got my mustang - I dropped my kid off at school one day and some kids saw us drive up. When I picked my kid up later that day - he had said those kids had teased him with "Fixed On side of Road Dead". It bummed him out - and me too. Hell this is one F N nice car. I sold my Saturn to get it because the tranny was going out = good thing too because that was at the time when people were drooling everytime a new mustang drove by.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:08 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

Those same kids would die to have their parents owna Mustang.

Jealousy, plain and simple.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

Hi Jays Mustang,

I agree with you completely. When buying a big-ticket item you expect it to be in excellent condition and quality. So called "big-ticket" items are relative to the person's financial status, of course. However, I do consider items like new cars, houses, motor homes, etc. more than just a simple purchase regardless of income range.

With that, I feel as though my Mustang is a big-ticket purchase and expected the condition and quality to be excellent.Unfortunately, I've found that the condition and quality of my brand new car is somewhat less than my expectation. So far I've found multiple rattles in the interior (minor), the hood scoop isn't flush with the hood (minor), the brake fluid reservior leaks a little (minor) and the door speakers rattle when playing Van Halen "Sunday Afternoon In The Park" from their Fair Warning album (minor). I'm glad to report, though, that I have not found any water leaking into the cabin like a lot of others have found nor is my hood unstable in high winds and/or at high speeds.

Of the deficiencies with my car the most bothersome, for me, is the rattling in the cabin. So, my Mustang has earned the nickname "RattleStang" (see sig). These rattles will all be repaired, of course, but should not be characteristic of a brand new big-ticket item. Am I making fun of the deficiencies with my sig.? Yeah, I guess I am. Do I like my car any less because of the (minor) deficiencies? No, and to borrow the words from Cartman when I think about my ride: "Man, that's ****!"

"Found On Road Dead" is easily rebutted with "First On Race Day." Old stuff here. And I agree, if those kids' parents had a Mustang,... And the simple truth is that Mustangs are not a cut above the rest. They're more of a personality trait. The palying field for most cars, trucks, vans, SUVs has been leveled significantlyduring recent years regarding domestic vehicles versus imports (European and Asian). So, owners of imports have a reasonable reason to like their car better than domestic - inherent to their personality (I'm starting to feel like Dr. Phil). But, for me, buying an import goes against the grain of my personality; rattles notwithstanding!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:41 PM
DJACKSO
1st Gear Member

Jay - Calm down there big fella! You will live longer with a smile than a frown. I went out to my Mustang yesterday at 5 in the morning to find that my parking lights were on with the switch in the off position. To make matters worse it was only the right side that were on. I laughed a little and began to sing, "You Light Up My Life". Come on now, give me a grin!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

"Hush, Hush, Simmer, Simmer, Relax even".....Snagglepuss Circe 1963.

"veryoneEmay ixnay on the okejays" wink
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAMFstang

Those same kids would die to have their parents owna Mustang.
Jealousy, plain and simple.
Or those kids parents are Mullet head,hillbillyBow Tie fans, j/k
Maybe the kids arejust big NASCAR Earnhardt or Gordon fans. ???
I know some people that take NASCARto a new level...

hehehe I Like Snickers Myself ... Go 88 Love Those Snickers Bars
Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I think that most of us who spend over $30,000 on the new Mustang forgot how many of them are produced. I have the production number list that was passed around here and it has a total of 160,412 Mustangs produced in just 2005! What percent of those cars is expected to be perfect? 95%? 90%? Or maybe something like 70% (my personal guess). Less?
That means there's a heck of a lot of Mustangs out there with all sorts of problems. Still, not too bad when you consider how many are working just fine.
But anyone who thinks a rattle is no problem is just not being any help! That's probably what they were saying in the 70's, when consumers drove Hondas and Toyotas and noticed fewer rattles! Guess what companies are burying Ford now?
Personally, I believe that most of our purchase price goes into that engine and transmission, giving us a heck of a lot of fun. They skimped on things, like keeping the new satin dash from rattling, because that's not Ford's area of expertiese. I just think they should open shops next door to our dealerships where we can have all these rattles, window scratches, leaking oil caps, etc, fixed at cost.
Some folks come here just to rant & rave about the rattle, but until you have to wait 6 weeks while your 5 month old GT is at the dealership waiting for a new engine, it might be better to just present your problems and ask us to share what our collective experience has been!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jays Mustang

Hi, It bothered me this morning for a little while that a few people think our car problems are a joking matter. We all worked very hard to be able to buy these Mustangs and when we have a problem were not on this forum looking for jokes. Any problem be it a rattle, squeak, hesitation etc. are serious. We didn't spend $2300 on a Pinto, we spent up to $35,000 on these cars and problems aren't a laughing matter. So I'm not going to knock anyones freedom of speach but people with problems aren't looking for jokes or insults. Thanks for letting me voice an opinion.
Jay,
Let me say from a lifetime of experience that your problems with your $35,000 car are not, in fact, "serious" problems. A serious problem is finding out that you or a close relative hasa life-threatening or altering disease, such as cancer, heart disease or alzheimer's. A serious problem is coming home from Iraq with only one arm and one leg after the Hummer you were riding in wasblown up by a roadside bomb. A serious problem is living in a drought-plagued country in Africa and watching your children starve to death while you are unable to save them. These are serious problems. I am sure there are a lot of people in this world that would loveto have your "serious problem" of maintaining your $35,000 performance car.

I have been active in many automotive forums over the years and from what I have seen here, this one is about average with regard to flaming. I have been on some forums where the average age is around 20 and the incidences of flaming are extremely high. ButIMO, this is just the nature of the beast. Forums are made up of all different types of people; some are helpful, some are rude, some make jokes, etc. When you ask questions in a forum, you have to expect all sorts of replies. Most people genuinely want to help, but because everyone is different,some people may findyour post to be inane, repetitive, unresearched or just plain stupid. You probably have to develop a little bit of a thick skin if you are going to post in public forums.My advice would be to just tryto relax and enjoy the ride. And try not to ever take yourself or your car problems too seriously.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Problems Aren't For Jokes