Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default 3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune

Had 3 spark plugs with burned thru electrodes, the new plugs have a hoop type electrode, 3 out of 8 burned clear thru which is why i had serious misfire problems. Mechanic replaced all 8 with a new colder spec plug, and replaced all 8 injectors with updated model. Running the brenspeed 93 tune is the only reason i see for this plug meltdown. Not sure if i will reinstall the tune and cai or not at this point. Maybe the 87 octane tune will be safe to run, but this is a serious problem.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:21 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune

I seriously doubt the tune had anything to do with this issue. Also why are the Fuel Injectors being replaced? Sounds to me as though the injectors themselves had an issue and that is what jacked the plugs up. What is the reason for replacing the injectors especially all 8 of them?

Richard
Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Have you talked to Brenspeed?

I have pulled my plugs several times since I started running Brenspeed's 93 oct tune, and I have had zero problems and the plugs look great.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:08 PM
jaiasmit
3rd Gear Member

What other mods do you have done, and were they the stock plugs that burned through. It sounds like it could have been a plug gapping issue from the factory, but that probably would have caused other problems along the way.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

The injectors were replaced as a courtesy because there is a new version available that prevents leakdown and the tech thought it wasa good idea to rule them out, there was nothing apparently wrong with them. The only other mods on the car are GTA mufflers. Brenspeed told me "Mustangs go thru alot of spark plugs" and "these cars are mass produced with alot of faulty parts."Make of that what you will. For 3 out of 8 plugs to be burned up means there is more than one cylinders plug being affected, so i doubt i had 3 bad injectors at the same time. The only thing that adds up is the common denominator of the 93 octane tune. The car is running strong with the new plugs and a stock tune and intake, i hit 144 mph which is about 10 mph faster than with the CAI and 93 tune. I think ill forget about the intake and tuner and sell them off, the only thing that adds up to burn up the plugs is the advanced timing in the 93 tune.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:43 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking the same about the timing, might have been to much. you might have had some detonation even with 93 octane and it burned the plugs. if you would have kept going, probably would have been 8 out 8 burned. i wouldn't think the injectors or plug gap would be affecting anything. unless those 3 were clogging up and making those 3 cylinders run lean.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

first i have heard bad about their tunes - i wonder if you ended up with some shoddy gas and in turn had significantly lower octane.

can anyone tell me how much difference there is between a 87 and 93 tune? firsthand experience would be nice to know.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

The only difference i know is 87 ignites easier than 93. The harder to burn the more spark you can throw at it and less chance of detonation.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 PM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

The 93 tune advances the timing which demands the higher octane gas. I think gas quality is a definite problem nationwide, not just around here. I am debating what to do, install the cai with the 87 octane tune and see what happens, or sell it off and stay stock. The car is running real good stock, just doesnt have the throttle response it had with the tune. But i cant take chances in ruining my engine and voiding my warranty for a couple of hp. Its noticeably faster top speedstockthan with the brenspeed tune and cai, probably a bit slower 0-60. Anybody with an 06 automatic GTwith ecm code VDX 1 who wants a C&L cai and SCT2 tuner for that setup let me know, mine only has 1500 miles on it.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

my77stang wrote:
can anyone tell me how much difference there is between a 87 and 93 tune? firsthand experience would be nice to know.
Well, I dont know what the differences are in the tune exactly, more timing I presume. But the "feel" difference between the 91 and 93 tunes is like "I'm agressive and ready to go" and "I'm pissed and can't get there fast enough."

I did try the 93 tune with 92 octane gas and found significant pinging during load. I switched to the 91 tune and found light pinging during load. During both of these "tests" I had Costco 92 octane in the tank. At about 1/8th tank I refilled with Chevron 92 octane and now I dont notice any pinging with the 91 tune.

I'm thinking the 93 tunes are pretty damn agressive, even for 93 octane gas and think that a dyno for A/F checking is a good idea with any of these tunes, regardless of tuner and tune. Lots of variables going on such as each car is unique, fuel quality differences between manufacturers and regions, altitude, etc.

Also, are these spark plugs new in the plug industry? Or is just the threading different/new? If these types of plugs are new then maybe were feeling the dreaded new product woes?

Quick Reply: 3 fragged spark plugs with Brenspeed tune