Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I SOL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Default Am I SOL?

My car is lowered, and a month ago I took it into a Big O tires type place to have new rims put on. I didn't realize at the time that lowering it wouldn't allow it to go on certain lifts. Anyways I'm 99% sure it went up on a lift that it shouldn't have gone on and damaged a front suspension component. I now get a metallic clunking when the front end goes over bumps. I took it into a dealership said they couldn't work on it since it was lowered and their lifts wont allow them to raise it (which is when I realized that that might have been what the problem was). Anyways here is the problem, I'm sure Ford wont cover the warranty work but as far as Big O's liability I think I may screwed. I didn't get a receipt for the work b/c the guy at the desk just asked for 20$ (I know stupid of me in retrospect), but I know exactly when I took it in. So if they don't totally blow me off would I have any grounds to try to recoup whatever it may cost for me to fix this? I never signed anything attesting to the fact I informed them of aftermarket modifications that may change how they should have handlded the swap but then again I have no receipt so they could go tell me to screw off. At this point I think I'm going to go in and say the delaership says it went up on a lift incorrectly making no mention of the lowering problem, and see if they will even talk to me without a receipt. If anyone knows the specific liability shops like that have please correct me if I have no grounds. I know when you drop it off a dealer you sign away their liability so your insurance would covere any damage, I could only assume the same is true for places like the one I went to but I signed nothing but then again without a receipt I think I'm screwed.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Am I SOL?

Mine is lowered and I do not have much clearance but my dealer did not have any problems when doing the ebrake work. You must really have lowered yours.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Hey Stewart, most likely the sound is a result of the lowering and not damage from the lift. The strut caps are a one time use item. Once removed they should be replaced. I started hearing some cluncking and other noises from mine shortly afterI changed out the front struts. You can get another set for about $50.00 from the dealer but they will wear out after a short while as well. Right now BMR has them in a package but are not selling the caps separately. Steeda is the only chioce for aftermarket but they are really pricey at about $300.00 a set.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

One time use? Everything is one time use with ford. I didn't even remove my strut caps when i lowered my car so i guess i'm still on my one time. LOL! I did reuse the strut stud nuts, which I wasn't supposed to do either.

I don't think the lift damaged anything either. Coincedence probably.

ORIGINAL: nbk13nw

Hey Stewart, most likely the sound is a result of the lowering and not damage from the lift. The strut caps are a one time use item. Once removed they should be replaced. I started hearing some cluncking and other noises from mine shortly afterI changed out the front struts. You can get another set for about $50.00 from the dealer but they will wear out after a short while as well. Right now BMR has them in a package but are not selling the caps separately. Steeda is the only chioce for aftermarket but they are really pricey at about $300.00 a set.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

It's been lowered for over 10k and I 've never had any problems untill it went up on the lift at the tire place. It's lowered about 1 inch front and back.